Sean H

If Rednecks Drank Absinthe

I like Guinness at just below room temperature, but not quite super cold. A slight chill if you ask me. It seems that the time it spends sitting on the bar after coming fresh from the tap at Quay's in Temple Bar waiting to settle is just about right. Ah, Ireland... Whoops- I forgot I'm at WS, took a short mental vacation for a second there.

[i think a warm beer has more flavor...

I agree. And that's a very compelling reason for most Americans to get it as close to freezing as they can.

[i think a warm beer has more flavor...

I agree. And that's a very compelling reason for most Americans to get it as close to freezing as they can.

Zymurgy scholars will tell you that the temperature at which a beer is fermented should be the same when it's drank. e.g., Guiness, a top fermented ale, is fermented at around 63°F (just off the top of my head, if someone knows the actual temperature, please let us know.), hence it should be served at that same temperature in order to get the best balance of flavor. The standard "American" beers (i.e., Bud, Miller, Coors) are lagered Pilsners which are bottom fermented at around 35°F so them being served nearly ice cold is what would be recommended.

So here is my humble entry in the Redneck category: it is a Pontarlier glass made out of a Vitamin Water bottle:

post-1809-1203717285_thumb.jpg

The base is a plastic dixie cup glued on. This puppy packs quite a punch (the dose line fills at 5oz.!), so I left the majority of the bottle intact for extra space. There is a very handy line in the plastic to use as a cutting guide. The top piece might even be saved and converted into a dripper, but I haven't tried that yet.

Looking around I see that Dr. Pepper's bottles might make a nice Swirl glass, and then there's Mountain Dew for those who want Uranium glassware. :devil:

Pair these up with those Spork spoons and I think you've got a nice set! :cheers:

That's excellent!

While that's great for fun and games, there's a reason why we use glass. Alcohol at a high abv will leach unpleasant flavors into your absinthe. I have seen strong absinthe (Brut d'alambic) shatter hard plastic with thousands of spider-veins. It was very cool looking but a terrible waste of good absinthe.

That is cool. Absinthe also removes the finish from oak tables, too. Not cool. Not a cost effective method of refinishing furniture, either.

Yeah, the vitamin water bottle glass is really cool. Way Absomphesized, but cool.

Just think, if you louche and drink fast enough, it won't have time to leech out too much plastic flavour.

I have seen strong absinthe (Brut d'alambic) shatter hard plastic with thousands of spider-veins. It was very cool looking but a terrible waste of good absinthe.

I've done that. It was neat but man I hate throwing away good/any alcohol. It happens right before your eyes. The plastic just crumbles. Live and learn. Oh, have fun along the way. ;)

Just think, if you louche and drink fast enough, it won't have time to leech out too much plastic flavour.

Leech, Louche, like hey man what's the diff it's all good! :tongue:

Retrogarde, if they gave awards here for design and ingenuity you would win a thinthy for sure! :thumbup:

Thanks! I wonder what a "thinthy" would look like? Hmm, perhaps I'll ingeniously design one! ;)

If I can figure out what a Thinthy should look like, Trid get's the very first one for that spork spoon. That was golden.

Thanks! I wonder what a "thinthy" would look like?

I can't quite picture the town in my mind's eye anymore, but the Thkyline Chili was delicious. ;)

If I can figure out what a Thinthy should look like, Trid get's the very first one for that spork spoon. That was golden.

Not "what"..."where." Thinthinatti...thtupid.

:laf:

Aside:

Is it a bad thing that while I was in REI today and saw the titanium sporks, I started getting ideas?

If he's such a multi-tasker, how come he was riding a chopper instead of a truck in Feasting on Asphalt, so he could grill up some vittles on the radiator while he was driving?

Sure, he talks a good game... B)