Sean H

Reason for Slow Pouring?

I'd rather put a keg of IPA outside when it is going down to 12F at night, and the next morning shake the keg and rack it to a second keg. This will leave behind about 30% of the water as ice. :devil:

I always wondered if the freeze distillation actually worked!

Yes it does but keep in mind, this is also considered illegal distillation. Growing up down south, it was called "Jacking" from making Apple Jack of hard cider. Also, keep in mind, that the hangover from the excess methyl alcohol (in hard apple cider) is the worse!

Ah, I always wondered. Thanks T!

I had read (on another site ) that freeze distillation was legal. I have never tried it, but had always wondered.

I had a macerated liqueur that didn't work out and thought about trying to do something with it.

I'll just consider it a loss!

Edited by LeRoy

Having grown up in the (relative) south, "jacking" is still what is it is called. And it creates ueber-hangovers.

However,even in Texas, it is the worsT, not the worSE. You must have grown up in the for-really-real Say-outh, T! :harhar:

However,even in Texas, it is the worsT, not the worSE. You must have grown up in the for-really-real Say-outh, T!

I'm just happy I can still find the keyboard, Sandy. ;)

Given that many people use glass broilleurs and have no problems with the taste, I'm not sure there's really a difference between fast stream and slow drip. The broilleur will finish your louche in less than one minute, and dripping with a carafe or fountain can take 5 to 10+ minutes. I usually have my fountain finish the louche in 6-7 minutes or so, as that's how long it takes my sugar cube to dissolve completely on the spoon. I've tried a much faster drip. I don't notice any difference in taste. Honestly I think the real difference is whether you want to enjoy the ritual of the louche or not. Absinthe after all is not your ordinary spirit. Most people enjoy it particularly for its pecularities (such as its louche).

I'm just happy I can still find the keyboard

Oh, dang. Me, too, T! me,too.

I was just tryin to have fun! You (perhaps)in-ad-vertidly busted mah proverbial balls by bein' all nice an whut naht!

I <3 you and your ol' lady,

I swears!

\scared

Fer reals it took me a while.Ah had to tap this lak 3 tahmes.

Gee whiz! Next you'll be saying that you chase the Jäger with a Bud Light! :laugh:

*Sigh* I have a friend who will drink nothing but Bud Light and Jager. I've tried to expand his tastes outside those two over the years, but he's a stubborn one I tell ya.

...many people use glass broilleurs and have no problems with the taste, I'm not sure there's really a difference between fast stream and slow drip...Most people enjoy it particularly for its pecularities (such as its louche)

It depends on the absinthe. For example, if I use my brouiller with the Roquette 1797 (Belle Amie also), I don't get much of a louche at all. If I use a nice, very slow drip, I get a very nice louche. The louche does affect the taste and mouthfeel...at least I perceive that. Surely has to do with amount of water added too.

Speaking of, I'm gonna louche one up now!

Bud Light and Jager

Leave him to it! If he is satisfied with yucky and nasty, why not? "Ew" to us, but "ok" and cheap to him.

Let him be! Hoorah for someone! I drink in honor of his sub-mediocrity! :cheers:

lawlz. Any excuse.

I'm just happy I can still find the keyboard

Oh, dang. me, too, T! me,too.

I was just tryin to have fun! You (perhaps)in-ad-vertidly busted mah proverbial balls by bein' all nice an whut naht!

I <3 you and your ol' lady,

I swears!

\scared

Fer reals it took me a while.Ah had to tap this lak 3 tahmes.

:laf: I thought I'd pee myself!!!

*Sigh* I have a friend who will drink nothing but Bud Light and Jager. I've tried to expand his tastes outside those two over the years, but he's a stubborn one I tell ya.

Try, Michelobe genuine draft light and michelobe genuine draft light and you have most of my friends around here. :thumbdown:

I suppose you could add Windsor Canadian Whiskey to the list!

Oh, dang. Me, too, T! me,too.

You haven't been around enough, Sandy. It's always good to see you.

I'm not sure there's really a difference between fast stream and slow drip.

I wholeheartedly beg to differ.

Run the comparative study. Taste the difference. I have some of the world's worsT taste buds but even I can tell. :cheers:

I would agree with Shabba to beg to differ . That is to say that I agree with Shabba differing with another...

I,too, used to think that drip didn't matter. Come to find out , if you don't care about mouth-feel, it doesn't matter.

However, if you do...

Why can't we give love, give love, give love....

Let your Schtuff drip, fella...

It is yummier dripped. No matter what they tell ya.

Creamier, and with some that are so slow to louche, a realtionship may be sweetened.

Given that many people use glass broilleurs and have no problems with the taste, I'm not sure there's really a difference between fast stream and slow drip.

Many people who use them stop them with marbles or ball bearings. I taste a considerable difference between a 1-minute louche and a 5-minute one. The flavour is fuller and the texture is smoother with the 5 minute louche. Beyond 10 minutes I don't notice enough of a difference for it to be worth the effort.

This has come up numerous times before. Especially before the WS, and even before the forums...

Turgan had this to say more than a century ago:

post-14-1200203186_thumb.jpg

I myself have noticed no difference at all between a 1 minute louche and a 7 minute louche. The video with TAB using a broilleur to rapidly louche his Jade reinforces my suspicion that it's a placebo effect.

*shrug* No offense, but the fact that you have not noticed a difference does not mean there is not one.

By default I always reject the assumption of placebo effect having anything to do with how I taste things. I discovered the difference in quick and slow louching before I ever joined any forums or read anything about it, when I assumed that a thin stream of water was the way to do it.

Yeah, well we've got people in this very thread saying they THROW AWAY absinthes louched for less than 10 minutes and other people saying they can't be bothered with louching for more than 10 minutes because it's not worth the effort. No offense, but that's called subjectivity. Tell you what, next weekend is my next Holdem night. I've already communicated to my poker/absinthe buddies, and we will conduct a randomized double-blinded placebo controlled trial on louching rates. The guy's wife will help with the double-blinding.

I agree that there may not be a big difference between a quick louche with a broilleur and a slower louche with a fountain. I use a broilleur mostly.

However, I have opened the fridge ang dumped water from the dispenser into my glass (10-15 seconds) and have noticed a difference in louche and flavor.

Hey, it's up to you and what you prefer!! Right? :cheers:

Tell you what, next weekend is my next Holdem night. I've already communicated to my poker/absinthe buddies, and we will conduct a randomized double-blinded placebo controlled trial on louching rates. The guy's wife will help with the double-blinding.

We'll eagerly await the results.

Again I say it depends, at least in part, on the absinthe. Go get a bottle of Roquette 1797 and Belle Amie (because these are good examples). Using the same absinthe:water ratio and cold water, use a brouiller on one and a slow drip on the other, compare them, and then tell me you don't notice the difference in louche, taste and mouthfeel between methods. Use a brouiller on either of those and you'll get - for all intents and purposes - no louche. With some absinthes, especially those heavy on star anise, it might be more difficult to tell the difference between drip and brouiller...

We've actually been talking about doing this for a long time, but nobody has been gung-ho about it because it would probably mean we don't really play poker that night. Although scientific exploration in the name of absinthe is certainly a worthy substitute....

Yeah, well we've got people in this very thread saying they THROW AWAY absinthes louched for less than 10 minutes...

WBT was joking.

Whether or not there was joking involved is mostly irrelevant. The point is that people thinking louching longer makes a big difference, and that the 'ideal' duration of this louche seems to be glaringly dependent on the individual.

It's like the older generation of doctors who go by anecdotal experience rather than evidence based medicine. They swear by their "time-tested" ways of doing things, even if shown that with a larger sample size than theirs (namely, 1), statistically speaking they are not benefitting the patient by what they do, or in some cases even harming them. Personal bias affects people in subtle ways, and I think the experience of absinthe is no exception at all. We'll do this thing next week, and while it will not likely be a statistically significant result, it will certainly be more satisfying to me personally than individual testimony of personal experience. I don't quite want to put louching differences in the same category as people claiming to trip ballz on czechsinth, but just because many people claim it doesn't mean it's an actual recognizable difference. It will stand or fall on the basis of rigorous testing, just like any other claim.