Sign in to follow this  
Dangermonkey

Dry Ice

This is being posted for informational use only and to avoid anyone else wasting their time and alcohol on stupid experiments.

Well the power went out up here with the hurricane force winds a couple days ago so the local power company starting handing out large blocks of dry ice so being bored with nothing else to keep us amused...

First we found out that you could do things like a slushy or slurpee gin martini and similar drinks.Only problem is the carbon dioxide tends to lend a metallic taste to a drink if you use too much.

We also found you should use large chunks of ice (simpler to strain) to avoid accidental contact or ingestion.

And of course Absinthe - well it really didn't do much but it did froth differently from anything else. A much thicker fog of carbon dioxide in the glass that was actully quite aromatic (mostly anise) but it is mostly CO2 so I wouldn't reccomend breathing it too much.

The Czechsinth smelled like mint and something bitter enough to scorch you nose hairs - it also froze into a greenish phlegm looking lump with various oils swirling around it.Looked even scarier than normal.

O.K. now we have done it so no one else has to.It is a waste of time.Next time the power goes out we will find something better to do.

"We're gonna need another Timmy!"

Anyone that gets that quote wins a "Fun Sized" candybar.

Whats fun about tiny candybars anydangway?

Kudos to you sir! Making drinks would be the last thing I would ponder when handed a large amount of dry ice.

For our next experiment, "The effects of Gasoline, on Fire."

Dry Ice = Really cool fog!

= Great dry ice bombs!

= dramatically increases the potency of illicit smoke.* (not that I'd know)

*A Child's Garden of Grass

Also, DIY Soda. Add a piece or two of dry ice to a bottle full of OJ or some sort of juice. Pop it int the fridge so it warms up slow. Drink when the dry ice is dissolved. The cap needs to be REALLY secure or else it's gonna pop.

Or pack a pickle jar with fruit and fill with the juice of that fruit or water. Same thing, pop in a piece or two of dry ice and let it warm slowly in the fridge. Carbonated fruit!

I once heard that you could put a piece in your mouth and 'breath smoke.' Just don't swallow the piece and be careful. NOTE: Don't try it. If you do try it just remember that you didn't hear it from me.

Someone is gonna get hurt.

Do not put dry ice in your mouth. No, no, no!

Odds are good, if you seal dry ice in a jar and pop it in your refrigerator, you'll be cleaning the mess up for hours. Don't do dumb shit!

I repeat after the preceding comments...

"We're Gonna Need Another Timmy!"

T, I owe you a Fun Sized Zagnut bar.

I think maybe you might get away with using a soda syphon ( designed for high pressure) but you can't accurately measure the CO2 charge/loading with dry ice - the reuslts could be ugly.

Swamp Gas Cocktail:

1 punch bowl

4 liters Mountain Dew

1 liter Everlear, 95%

3 Cyalume OmniGlow 6" Lightsticks

2 pounds dry ice

Combine ingredients in glass punch bowl in dimly-lit room.

Get crunk.

Anyone ever had a Warp Core Breach from Quark's Bar in the Star Trek Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton? They toss a couple dry ice chips into that and the (I think) Borg Sphere to make 'em all foggy and cool.

Dry Ice = Really cool fog!

= Great dry ice bombs!

= dramatically increases the potency of illicit smoke.* (not that I'd know)

*A Child's Garden of Grass

I've got the album but I dont' remember anything about Dry ice.

Anyone ever had a Warp Core Breach from Quark's Bar in the Star Trek Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton? They toss a couple dry ice chips into that and the (I think) Borg Sphere to make 'em all foggy and cool.

I confess...I've had one. Before they had the "Borg Sphere" there was the "James Tea Kirk" which was a light blue long island iced tea-esque foo foo smoky thing. Among four of us, two each were killed...the equivalent of each one of us having one to ourselves.

...more like: "set phasers for blotto"

http://www.startrekexp.com/

Click on the bottom right (the link for Quark's) Damn thing's all in flash so I can't link directly :thumbdown:

hehehe the best part is playing blackjack while blotto. I can't recall it, but apparently I stayed on 11, and won. and then hit on 18, an won. Like I said, blotto.

Also, DIY Soda. Add a piece or two of dry ice to a bottle full of OJ or some sort of juice. Pop it int the fridge so it warms up slow. Drink when the dry ice is dissolved. The cap needs to be REALLY secure or else it's gonna pop.

Been there. Done that. Got the scar on my neck to prove it.

Seriously, when I was twelve, I did almost exactly that--orange juice and everything--and the bottle exploded before I got five feet with it. Unfortunately, it was a glass bottle. I very nearly killed myself.

Not that I recommend ANYTHING, I am a lay-explosives tech (job related- not unibomber related) and even I wouldn’t mess around with dry ice. Something about having my hand blown off by a poorly constructed door breech makes it easier to stomach- but having your face burned off by dry ice…. eh

An alternative to dropping a chunk of dry ice into a drink is the opposite: get a block of dry ice, chisel out a slight hollow area in the top/middle and pour the drink in. Stir gently with insulated utensils (spoons) until the liquid turns to slush, scoop into glass and enjoy.

I saw this done at the World of Coca Cola here in Atlanta (mostly with the various flavors of soda from around the world). I decided to forgo the sodas and try mixed drinks (I was attending a private, after-hours function). Kicked the curiosity factor way up and, needless to say, the line to the dry ice table got pretty long. Some drinks were a delight. Some, like the basic gin-and-tonic, took on a more bitter tone. Bottom line: a great idea for a Halloween party.

See cell phone pic:

post-97-1223959362.jpg