Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion Stone

Happy New Year, Welcome Newcomers, Admin News

Now that I've recuperated from my holiday travels and gotten caught up on my correspondence, I have a chance to breathe and to welcome the many newcomers we've had in the last month or so.

:cheers: Welcome n00bs! :cheers:

Record Registrations

December was a record month for registrations, almost twice the previous high last January. Of course a lot of this has to do with the great amount of coverage absinthe has gotten in the last months, with the curious flocking to information resources. I expect the next several months to see an even larger influx.

New folks, please read the FAQ and heed the advice offered by our more experienced members and Mods. Most of them know what they're talking about and it'll make the whole place much more pleasant for us all. Of course, they should also be prepared to back themselves up, so question authority. ;)

Newsletter & Reviews

I'd like to work toward putting together a monthly newsletter and the software running the main site is more versatile than the one packaged with the forum software. If you're not already registered on the main site, please go do that now (no admin validation necessary, it's automatic) or you'll miss the newsletters. The newsletter link is at top right. Also, in order to leave reviews and ratings for products, you have to be registered over there. I'd like everyone here, including newbies, to review everything they have (premium and bottom-shelf alike) and really get the review section beefed up. Just make sure to read the guidelines for how to rate and review an absinthe.

Moderators

I want to thank the entire support team for their ceaseless efforts in maintaining the community standard to which we'd like to become accustomed, especially T73 and Shabba. Their support has made my life much easier and contributed to many more hours of sleep than would have been possible without them. Old timers, please lend them an extra hand in peer moderation and in helping the new folks find their way around, learn the ropes, etc. This will help prevent Mod and Admin burnout.

$ubscriptions

New folks and old folks, I dislike sounding like a Public Television spokesman, but if you like what we're doing here, please consider purchasing a paid subscription to make things even better. The more time I can spend away from other work, the more I can spend in research and writing for WS, which I've fallen way behind on. With the many changes happening, there's a lot to keep up with and there are still projects on back burners, such as the Absinthe Chronicles podcast and an informational brochure for members of the trade, such as bartenders, serving staff and managers.

In your Control Panel there's an area where you can select a membership package that fits your budget. I know that our membership spans the entire economic range from flat broke to quite-comfortable-thank-you-very-much, so if you're totally strapped, don't sweat it, but if you have some spare jingle, it'll sure help the cause. Besides, the other three subscribers are getting lonely.

Here's wishing you all a very happy and prosperous New Year!

Cheers!

~ Gwydion

What are the benefits of a paid membership? I searched the site and haven't seen any other mention of this.

I subscribed to the podcast before I even joined the forums, I'm really excited to see where it goes!

At present, a Good Feeling™ that you're supporting a worthy cause (and my gratitude, which actually could be worth something some day).

I haven't made a big point of the subscription feature because personally, I detest asking for money. That makes me a lousy businessman. Unfortunately my ISP, web host, landlady and the City of Seattle Utilities Dept. don't share that sentiment and have said as much in large red letters that say PLEASE OPEN IMMEDIATELY. There are a few threads mentioning it here and there. Also, it was one of the options when registering.

The packages are only set up for monthly subscriptions at the moment, which wouldn't be practical to offer premiums for, since someone could subscribe, get the booty, then unsubscribe.

When we're ready for annual subscriptions, that's when we'll see the good stuff, like a bottle of Marteau, an absinthe fountain and a trip to the Azores.

I subscribed to the podcast before I even joined the forums
Oh, so you're the one.

(cute sig, btw)

Record Registrations

December was a record month for registrations, almost twice the previous high last January.

So if each new member brings two members and they bring two members and then they bring two members...

... Mods. Most of them know what they're talking about

Dammit!

What are the benefits of a paid membership?

I'm expecting my Boxster to arrive any day!

Seriously, what a fantastic place to hang out. Lot's of great information and even better personalities to discuss nearly any topic under the sun with the majority of the talk surrounding my beverage. Thanks, Hiram.

Have you ever considered putting a regular ol' PayPal donation button on the site? Someone might not be willing to pay $10 a month for the rest of their natural life, but making a one time $30 donation would be fine.

At present, a Good Feeling™ that you're supporting a worthy cause (and my gratitude, which actually could be worth something some day).

Adding "Paid Subscriber" or some similar icon to their profile (At the left) would encourage people I think. Not that they should need that kind of encouragement to lend a helping hand, but it doesn't hurt. :)

You know, that's a great idea. Maybe an icon that denotes their level of donation. I remember something being thrown about regarding silver, gold, and platinum donor levels. Maybe an icon of a coin or even a dollar sign in those colors. And a green dolloar sign for a one time donor.

Have you ever considered putting a regular ol' PayPal donation button on the site? Someone might not be willing to pay $10 a month for the rest of their natural life, but making a one time $30 donation would be fine.
I'm not against doing it again, but the first time it collected dust.
Adding "Paid Subscriber" or some similar icon to their profile (At the left) would encourage people I think. Not that they should need that kind of encouragement to lend a helping hand, but it doesn't hurt.
You know, that's a great idea. Maybe an icon that denotes their level of donation. I remember something being thrown about regarding silver, gold, and platinum donor levels.
Like this? They're both good ideas, and the board is set up for doing just that. It would take the place of the Absintheur/Absinthiste/etc. group names.
This idea might lead to further complications with regards to inter-forum hostility. I know, I'm a wet blanket.
Pish. It hardly matters at this point and I couldn't care less. The critics have never needed anything real in order to cry havoc before.

I don't care for rankings. $50 from a wealthy person is no more generous than $5 from someone who only has $200 to their name. But with "PLATINUM MEMBER" versus "BRONZE MEMBER" under their name it would certainly look that way. If there's some sort of extra perk for being a Platinum Member it should be something that doesn't put the spotlight on anyone, or conversely put anyone on the spot.

I don't have a problem with a general "contributing member" indicator, but I really think that member importance should have more to do with what they contribute to the discussion than what they can spare from their wallets.

member importance should have more to do with what they contribute to the discussion than what they can spare from their wallets

It most certainly does, and you raise a very valid point about rankings. It's up there with post count, really. It's entirely relative.

something that doesn't put the spotlight on anyone, or conversely put anyone on the spot.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I think the Public Radio analogy is apt...let those who can afford to quietly pitch in do so with the knowledge that they are supporting something of value to them. I suspect that the Wormwood Society has saved many of its readers considerable sums that might have been blown on [insert vile concoction of your choice here]. That's "value added." :cheers:

Hang out for a while. The natural life is a whole lot better around here.

member importance should have more to do with what they contribute to the discussion than what they can spare from their wallets

It most certainly does, and you raise a very valid point about rankings. It's up there with post count, really. It's entirely relative.

Exactly. I'm certain no one would either make a donation or not based on points and rankings. If they do, it's because they can and want to and not for status.

Absomphe and I are shameless Post Hounds but we'd do it anyway even if there wasn't a post count. Right Dawg?

(But my feelings remain the same on anyone that wants to get pissy about Hiram making the opportunity for membership donation. My donation is less than the world's cheapest cup of coffee a day in exchange for hours of entertainment a day. It beats the hell out of TV and if I'm lucky, maybe I can sweet-talk Hiram into making me another martini the next time I'm in Seattle. No one is remotely pressuring anyone here and that's damn important to keep in mind.)

You guys just always have something to say.

And I would too if more people talked about metal. Or about me. ;)

...as for the Paypal donation button, it might be a good idea to plug when the podcast gets into full gear. I've heard some of the other casters get a good deal of stuff just so long as they mention in every episode how important it is. Also, deo, from deo's Shadow does commercials in his podcast too. They're on topic, and he usually clumps them together, so you can just fast forward after the point where you've got them all memorized, but I know I've visited every place at least once, and not just out of the kindness of my heart.

With the paid membership, it doesnt have to be big fancy stuff. I'd go for one of them spiffy tshirts. Actually I was thinking of getting something with the Hemingway quote for my boyfriend for his bday/our anniversary. Maybe you can make an exclusive one for members only.

(But my feelings remain the same on anyone that wants to get pissy about Hiram making the opportunity for membership donation. My donation is less than the world's cheapest cup of coffee a day in exchange for hours of entertainment a day. It beats the hell out of TV and if I'm lucky, maybe I can sweet-talk Hiram into making me another martini the next time I'm in Seattle. No one is remotely pressuring anyone here and that's damn important to keep in mind.)

You edited this in after my post and I never saw it.

To some people, anyone who posts here at all and enjoys it is a loser because we're all bland, uncontroversial, unfunny, and think every absinthe ever made is just the best. That all we do is welcome and congratulate each other all day long. No point in worrying about what the crew at LL thinks about donations or subscriptions because posting here at all is already an act deserving of derision.

A lot of these folks are just bored with the whole absinthe "scene," don't feel like it ever lives up to their expectations, and don't want to deal with newbies. That's fine. But even though I really like some of them, I don't have to agree with them. I am not bored or jaded with all this stuff. I love it. I never tire of educating people about absinthe either in its history and legal issues or by letting them try what little I have to offer. Nor do I ever tire of learning more from those who are willing to share what they know. I love seeing how absinthe is growing and entering the public eye again. If that makes me totally lame and H5, then so be it. I don't give a fuck about being cool, only about being metal. ;)

I know there's a lot of criticism of the policies and moderation here, but I've never been penalized in any way for my contributions, no matter how vicious, angry, or absurd they were; probably because they've never been gratuitous and I'm still fair even when I'm mean. I don't feel any more muzzled here than I do in any RL public place where it's unacceptable to directly call someone a :censor1: (ha! edited, lol!) no matter how much I want to. I never feel like my opinion is "not allowed" whenever it dissents from the majority.

WS is something I enjoy. I'm a member of the other forums but this is the one where I do almost all of my posting for two reasons: one is that more of the people I like to talk to post here and the other is that WS has purpose. I don't always agree with how Hiram does things but ultimately I want to see WS grow because I believe it's doing something worthwhile. Because I'm totally lame and H5 and like more than two commercial absinthes. Whatever.

I hope you're all getting misty. :puke: