Auguru

Sleep and absinthe

Over the last couple of months, I've noticed the following: If I have had a glass or two of absinthe before retiring, I seem to experience an altered sleep pattern. (I am usually somewhat sleep-deprived, a consequence of being a "night-owl"). However, after imbibing absinthe, my sleep is "less deep", or at least I am much more easily awakened. Further, when I wake up, I am up! No particular grogginess or lethargy, rather a "bound to wakefulness". Can't say I note any real change in dreaming, but just the general experience of wakefulness or perhaps alertness.

Any similar experiences? Or should I chalk it up to advancing "middle age"?

I've noticed after having a few Absinthes I won't sleep more than 6 hours, usually waking up at least once in the middle of the night. The best way to prevent that problem is to drink them in the morning instead.

I notice the effects you describe when I drink absinthe (I usually drink one or two glasses once every couple of weeks). But then again, I notice those effects whenever I drink more than a beer or so (which I rarely do). I find that I get very dehidrated when I drink absinthe, especially in the middle of the night. I often have to get up and drink water at 5am.

waking up at least once in the middle of the night.

Wake up... for a glass of water? Edit: Damn, ShaiHulud beat me to it.

I honestly don't remember going to sleep the nights I drink. It's like opening a present; I wake up and can't believe how suprised I am to have ended up where I am.

I never have hangovers no matter what the amount of absinthe is that I drank the night before. Absinthe, especially the good hawg, is very clean stuff.

I feel livened and aware from the first sip of absinthe on... but that's just a feeling. And after being showered/shitted/shaved, a glass in the morning is AMAZING. I know people will have some obvious gripes about early-morning drinking, but it helps settle you down, you know, pace things - enjoy the fact that the stupid-ass people you're going to deal with aren't worth wasting a thought on.

I have hard times sleeping too. Absinthe doesn't put me out, but about 7 or 8 beers will. I also find it a LOT harder to get drunk off of absinthe despite the high proof. Might have to chalk that up to secondfaries though.

One glass of absinthe is the perfect nightcap for me. Relaxing, a nice way to end the day - it somehow even makes it easier for me to get up next morning early.

Problem is, of course, when one glass calls for another.

I usually need a few wake hours after I've had an absinthe before going to bed. Then again I can't eat anything sweet before I go to bed or else I sleep very light. It sucks waking two hours before you usually get up and realize that at best your only going to nap. Have the strangest dreams then, though.

You mean the ones about poltergeist washingmachines, dogs turning into demons, purple mannequin heads awaking to laugh at my being alive, and giant bacteria that is immune to everything but mercury?

I have those with or without absinthe.

I have to agree with comments above about drinking water, which I usually do before I sleep. This is always helpful when drinking any sort of alcohol. It buffers the hangover the next day and sometimes eliminates it.

But, yeah...I usually don't dream unless something is stressing me, which is usually something somatic like too much sugar before bed.

For example, I ate a big bowl of vanilla ice cream and frozen peaches last night and this morning I dreamt I was working for a big architect firm and the head of the firm was trying to get some help printing a blueprint he was working on from the network. The work space was a large room with no cubicles, with groups of four desks pushed together so that everyone was in everyone else's face. I think I was temping because my desk was empty save a computer monitor, keyboard and mouse. Even the drawers had little else than a few pencils and paperclips.

Everytime I went to print the document I'd discover what was wrong which would lead me to leave the room to fix the problem. Each time I came back I'd discover something else wrong, like the supervisor would be in some other part of the room or the mouse would be disconnected and I'd hear architects at adjacent desks snickering like schoolboys. I did this several times until I found the distractions taking me off on adventures like riding gondolas through the country and trains along seacoasts.

I think I'd prefer dreams of poltergeist washingmachines, dogs turning into demons, etc., but usually my dreams are rooted in some element of my past (I used to temp a lot) then juxtaposed on some emotion that is current (could the current lack of my having personal space be the theme of this dream?).

One reoccuring element when I do dream is that I often find myself in mini-dramas that involve driving down the country roads of my childhood. I don't think I'm very nostalgic for my childhood, so I can only assume that part of my psyche is still trying to sort it out for me. Ah, if only a cigar could remain a cigar...

I know that I have mentioned my fire safety business already but I can not remember if I ever said anything about being a psychotherapist for the last 15 years. I have done a good deal of work with dreams and find them facinating. I do not know if you were looking for serious input re your dreams but if so...

People tend to put a great deal of meaning into the symbolism of objects in their dreams and while this is important to interpretation, it is not as important as the subjective experience of emotion in the dreamer when confronted with the object and/or situation in the dream. In other words, how did you feel (in the dream) about the multiple office malfunctions in your office dream? or how do you feel driving down the country road of the past.

I have many "dream dictionaries" that try to establish the significance of symbols and they can be helpful but typically, the dreamer's feelings about what the symbols mean is more important. Also, many people are side-tracked by the setting of the dream. Our minds tend to re set themes in our dreams ie. a person concerned that they are drinking too much absinthe might dream about being worried that their car is using too much gas. It is more about "worried about too much" than cars and gas.

Poltergeist washingmachines: The whole dream consisted of me going to the high school I graduated from with my old manager from DQ (haven't seen/heard from him in oh 3 or 4 years). It was some sort of drinking party and I had brought a bottle of some sort of absinthe with me (who knows what it was, but the bottle was about the size of a 2L). Anyway upon arriving at the school, the poltergeist washingmachines began following me. I was more annoyed with the noise than anything else. My bottle of absinthe was empty (guess that's what I get for bringing that). My manager and I drove back to a shithole shack I used to live in and then the washingmachines disappeared. The front door kept unlocking itself. I fought with the nothing outside for a good 5 minutes relocking the door and holding it closed. Basic emotion was annoyance and a desire to beat the poopy out of the invisible force. Suddenly the door disappears and there's some girl standing about six inches away from me. She had a likeness to Samara from The Ring... 'Cept neither asian nor creepy. She said "are you going to let this go or not?" Then I awoke in a cold sweat.

Figure that one out and I shall applaud you.

Thank you, ShaiHulud, for offering assistance. I'm less concerned by the dream's implication than the novelty of the strange juxtaposition. I am able to suss out their apparent meaning and symbology as they project from my own psyche which I've never found too complex, just strange at times. Dreams do reflect our present mind, but they also delve into alternative realities that are usually not available to us consciously.

In contrast to Ambrosious's colorful dreams that harbor a seemingly sinister element (ordinary objects taking on supernatural aspects (please forgive me, Ambrosious, for using your post as example without directly responding to it)), I find my dreams fairly pedestrian and transparent in meaning. It could be as simple a matter as reflecting my own observation that my psyche is relatively uncomplex; and I am even less disturbed by this. As someone who has also worked in the psychiatric field, perhaps meanings and interpretations should be discussed in private.

Still, this thread is more about sleep disturbance than dream interpretation, so perhaps a thread on absinthe dreams could be started. Anyone?

No problem, brudduh.

Yeah maybe a mod could split this topic. I'm sure at least a few people on here have just as strange, if not moreso, dreams whether they have to do with absinthe or not.

My dreams are always incredibly surreal and constantly morphing. There are a few themes that have been with me since I was a small child and bear far too much resemblance to Lovecraft's Randolph Carter stories. Strange cities and bizaare sea creatures.

I've only had one "normal" dream in my life. It was so boring it was a nightmare. It was like an ordinary, unremarkable day, and time seemed to pass very slowly - like watching a movie where nothing happens. It was so boring and monotonous and I was so afraid that it would just go on and on like that, that I awoke from it in a panic, just like a nightmare. It was horrible.

If those nightmares persist in any way, look for me in them. Perhaps we can help each other find the right doorway or wardrobe to get back to those other realms, although I think I am doomed to be stuck in the most mundane.

I've had dreams like the not normal ones you describe, Hiram. Not exactly reacurring dreams but ones that are kind of a movie series ya know?

A few times I've had them with credits and soundtracks.

When I was very young I had recurring nightmares about a dog that wore clothes and talked (he wore a trenchcoat and looked kind of like McGruff the Crime dog although I do not think McGruff was around back then). This dog was named Beauregard and was a sinister presence. I knew that if he found me he would hurt me in some way. Interestingly, I always knew when he was around because there was ominous theme music that would swell as he got closer.

What's a normal dream?

I have quite a few lucid or semi lucid dreams. Such as having a similar dream and having the memory of the similar dream in the dream, it doesn't always snap me into the "you are dreaming" realization but it does put a different perspective on it. Often are a sort of matrix like realization. Half way through the dream I think, "screw this, I can fly, what am I doing on the ground?" and lifting off.

I realize this is a long ago thread, searched to see if dreams had been discussed....

My dreams are much more vivid when I've had an absinthe nightcap, always very pleasant, and most interestingly to me, I also have very clear dreams about absinthe.

The other night, I dreamed I was standing in my kitchen. I had just prepared a drink (Kübler), and had used a paper plate to hold some ice, that had I sort of rolled up into a chute, in order to slide the ice into my 'watering carafe'.

I unrolled the plate and there were some water droplets on it that were a sort of purple color. I touched these and they 'unrolled' into lavender flower petals, and the smell of the louched Kübler was amazingly rich and real.

These dreams are one of the favorite aspects of absinthe to me.

My dreams are vivid. But drinking a glass of absinthe is what I prefer to a bowl of ice cream before bedtime. My rest is more entertaining. Ice cream just let me sleep quietly. So, I guess I'll have a bowl of absinthe for desert.

It's the herbs. I know it is. If i knew exactly which ones, I'd buy those and have a nice warm herb tea. Save some money that way.

<-------- cheap bastid.

I realize this is a long ago thread, searched to see if dreams had been discussed....

Haha! Looks like I'm not the only dead thread necromancer here! Someone else beat me to this one.

I also get wacky dreams after drinking absinthe. I also was prescribed Ambien for insomnia. I do not reccommend the 2 together. You will drink half a bottle of absinthe, not remember doing it and your wife will find you standing in the front yard staring into space at 6 am with a glass in your hand.

The not remembering drinking the absinthe is the worst part. I also like to reserve staring into space for when I'm at work.

I also was prescribed Ambien for insomnia. I do not reccommend the 2 together. You will drink half a bottle of absinthe, not remember doing it and your wife will find you standing in the front yard staring into space at 6 am with a glass in your hand.

That's me! Space is nice at 6 in the morning. It's all good! A waste? Nope. A pleasant evening. JMO

:cheers:

I was just talking to Mr.S about this this morning, over hashbrowns with onions/tomatoes/mushrooms , well done--aftter having drank perhaps a little too much the night before.

At the ever-present risk of TMI, I usually have really vivd, really violent dreams, usually about my hurting, or saving, family members. I also have strongly didactic dreams. To combine the two, I also dream family-oriented dreams with moral messages that break my heart upon wakening.

My "absinthe dreams," though, are usually different...

I had my first dream about another dream I had last month last night--it was *so* real. I also had a dream that I told my mother and [step]father that I was an atheist and outlined the reasons that influenced my being one.

Absinthe, in quantity at least, definately influences my dreams.

I dunno, the other night after having 3 drinks before bed, I sleptwalked to the bathroom, were I retired, until my wife woke me up on the john at 2am. Honestly, I walked to the bathroom, and sat on the throne, and went back to sleep. It was very strange indeed. I was still sitting upright so it must not have been that bad. My wife found it rather odd too. But I have a history of sleep walking, and sleep talking, even when no alcohol is involved. It may just be another few and far between episode of that.