Auguru

Sleep and absinthe

When I have a couple of drinks of Absinthe I also have problems sleeping. I seem to wake up at 3am on the dot... Then it takes me about 20-30 minutes to go back to sleep

Over the last couple of months, I've noticed the following: If I have had a glass or two of absinthe before retiring, I seem to experience an altered sleep pattern. (I am usually somewhat sleep-deprived, a consequence of being a "night-owl"). However, after imbibing absinthe, my sleep is "less deep", or at least I am much more easily awakened. Further, when I wake up, I am up! No particular grogginess or lethargy, rather a "bound to wakefulness". Can't say I note any real change in dreaming, but just the general experience of wakefulness or perhaps alertness.

Any similar experiences? Or should I chalk it up to advancing "middle age"?

Take 3-5grams of melatonin before you go to bed. It's a natural sleep aid and you'll be out like a log.

This is definitely something to this. When I drink any other alcohol, I always get drowsy and eventually fall asleep, usually long before I want to. When I drink Absinthe, I have to make myself go to sleep, then I always wake up early the following day, which I like very much. No hangover either.