Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sean H

Thoughts On Going Mainstream In The U.S.

Recommended Posts

I was talking to an online friend the other night about absinthe, and he was pretty excited about buying a bottle himself. The trouble is, he's all of 18 years old, and he really only cares about the high alcohol content. I explained that you don't sit around doing shots of absinthe at frat parties, but he didn't care how it's "supposed" to be consumed. He just wants to get drunk with his buddies.

 

I also followed a Flickr link someone posted in the forums, that showed pictures of college aged kids doing shots of absinthe, and licking sugar off the back of their hand.

 

So... Is that going to be the typical attitude if absinthe really takes hold in the U.S. market? Is anyone here really going to care, or is it going to get under your skin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal belief is that he's showing and 18 year old's attitude towards drinking, not the US attitude towards absinthe. I know that when I was 18 I was only concerned about getting wasted.

 

Not that I'm advocating underage drinking, but he's going to be much better off dying a bottle of 151 green, calling it absinthe, and shooting away. While he'll lose the same amount of brain cells, perhaps the money saved can be invested in health insurance for his inevitable ER visit(s?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They abuse Jäger, don't they?

 

There are always going to be idiots. My fear is that the first idiot that Darwins himself with absinthe is going to screw it up for the rest of us. Never mind that beer kills a lot more people every year in drunk driving incidents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't like absinthe anymore now that it's legally available in the US. I have to find something else to maintain my status as necro kvlt supreme vampiric evil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to recall that virgin sacrifices is still taboo...or was it being a virgin? I can never keep those two straight.

 

Maybe we all just need to collectively take up heroin now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finding similiar additudes from my friends, although slightly different. They recognize that you can't drink absinthe straight, so they jsut refuse to drink it. Everything has to be a shot with most people so that you can get drunker faster and lose the fear of speaking to the opposite sex!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Everything has to be a shot with most people so that you can get drunker faster and lose the fear of speaking to the opposite sex!

I tell people that doing shots of liquor is like scarfing down a meal as fast as you can, slamming down your fork, and announcing, "DONE!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hah! Beat you!

 

Oh sure...there's always gotta be SOMEBODY who's been there/done that before me. Sheesh...can't get a break anywhere.

I just wanna be different, like everybody else!

:twitchsmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They abuse Jäger, don't they?

 

... wait there's another way to do Jäger? :euro:

Those lush college bastards have been keeping the art of drinking from me! >.<

:3872-DrunkBanana:

 

I tell people that doing shots of liquor is like scarfing down a meal as fast as you can, slamming down your fork, and announcing, "DONE!"

 

:laf:

its funny cause its true

 

 

 

 

 

Anyhow, back to the original comment- yes, that is basically the bane of being surrounded by Joe Sixpack and his merry band of fratboys... Everytime I cringe at seeing a fridge packed with Coors (yes I said Coors! not even Miller!) and ask them in that sad pathetic tone "why?" they stare at me blankly and say "cause it gets you drunk." like I'M the one who doesn't get it!

 

at least my guy had the decency to get hospitalized on Bacardi when he was a freshman... course now he can't drink rum, which as a girl named Morgan... I mean really...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I went to pick-up a bottle of St. George at Hi-Time, there was a young (early 20's) guy next to me looking at my bottle. He exclaimed, "I had absinthe at Burning Man once; it was really harsh!". I tried to explain to him that what he likely took shots of at Burning Man was a bathtub solution of Everclear with plant extracts, not absinthe. I then took him to the aisle where they have Lucid and Kübler. He was excited and enthusiastic at the prospect of trying “real” absinthe until he saw the prices ($60 and $50 respectively) and said, "that's too expensive". Having just lost what little patience I managed to muster for this guy in the first place, I simply moseyed over to the checkout, paid and left.

 

There appears to be a trend of the newly initiated alcohol consumers merely drinking for the intoxicating effects whereas the more seasoned and refined drinkers are more into quality libations. To each his own.

 

FYI, while I was at Hi-Time, I spoke with the wholesaler who arranged for Hi-Time to get a case of the St. George. He told me that he ordered lots of absinthe paraphernalia (spoons, glasses, fountains, etc.) for his retailers who carry absinthe so expect to see that stuff at places like Hi-Time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah...the captain was my very first, and to date, worst hangover. 18 years later, I can almost stomach the smell again...almost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah...the captain was my very first, and to date, worst hangover. 18 years later, I can almost stomach the smell again...almost.

 

Mine was sambuca, and I didn't touch it for years. Now I'm drinking absinthe, and I feel as though I've come back around full circle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goldschlaeger for me. A friend made a bet with me that I couldnt drink a 20oz cup full, and considering I had just eaten a Thanksgiving dinner, I told her I could. Yes, stupid in retrospect, considering I could have gotten alcohol poisoning or something, but I didn't even throw-up, and only had a mild headache and case of nausea in the morning.

 

Best part was Mom had just put in cinnamon smelling air fresheners in the house, and the next day I thought I was going to pass out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A friend made a bet with me that I couldnt drink a 20oz cup full

I would have said, "you're right, I can't."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really. :)

 

But I know I certainly would have lost even if I succeeded. That's a lot of bad booze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×