Sign in to follow this  
Auguru

Anise-free?

In deference to my wife (no fan of anise or licorice), would the WS intelligentsia recommend any particular absinthe with the least "anise-like" flavour or perhaps any of the so-called "anise-free" brands? The "Absinthe Serpis Dry 55%" comes to mind, but I've not had the opportunity to try it.

(She thought the Montmarte was the best she's tried so far...)

Hartsmar pretty much laid it down straight. Since Absinthe is basically defined by the fact that its an anise flavored beverage, someone who doesn't like that particular taste isn't really going to find satisfaction in it, even by trying to skirt the matter with the anise free stuff. Besides that, most of it appears to be swill. I'd just switch to some other libation.

What they said. If she doesn't like anise, she won't like absinthe. If she likes the Montmartre, then go for that one. It doesn't get much less anise-y than that.

There is no such thing as anise free Absinthe.

If it has no anise, it's not Absinthe.

You might find some absinth without anise, but I'm afraid you're on your own with that.

You're getting into the German/Checker brands if you want low/no anise.

Any I have tried were not worth trying.

G&C is right. Absinthe is an anise drink. If you don't like distilled anise - you don't like Absinthe. There is no substitute.

I have 2 suggestions, though:

1. Get divorced and find another wife who likes distilled anise; spend twice as money on booze

2. Be damn glad your wife isn't drinking all your Absinthe cuz she doesn't like distilled anise; you only need to buy Absinthe for yourself

I suggest #2.

I have to agree with #2 also.

The first choice could end up costing much more than twice the Absinthe!

Much wisdom has been offered. I'm going with number two. Gotta love that "more for me logic" as well.

Besides, I doubt I could find anyone else who could tolerate me...

You never know, she might develop a taste for it. It's been known to happen. If you can get her to "at least try one glass of this one" each time you try a new brand, she may get to a point where she realizes there's a lot more going on in there besides anise.

I have to agree with H. My wife likes it as much as I do and we always drink it together. True it costs twice as much to have a green hour but on the other hand, our green hour turns into a very pleasent four hours with a great deal of... affection. Oh those naughty seconfairies.