Gwydion Stone

Imbibe. Absinthe Is Back

Written by our own Paul Clarke and luciously photographed by Stuart Mullenberg, this is one of the best absinthe pieces I've ever read. I urge you all to run out and get a copy... nay, a subscription. Oh, and check out their blog while you're at it.

It's a hot, muggy night in New Orleans, and in a restaurant near the French Quarter, a group of nearly 20 absinthe enthusiasts have gathered in a back room. Lou Rawls gently croons from the sound system as waiters bring in plates of hors d'oeuvres and a wine steward uncorks a black bottle of French absinthe. At the front of the room is a well-iced absinthe fountain, its glass bowl dewy with condensation. As the evening progresses, the room fills with a gentle herbaceous funk, as glass after glass of pale-emerald absinthe blooms with inverted opalescent flowers with the drip of each icy droplet of water, eventually becoming milky white in the spirit's characteristic louche.

Let's see a show of hands: who was there? I was.

imbibe_drip.jpg

imbibe_1_08.jpg

Damn, now I'm thirsty...

I will have to go to my local Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy. Thanks for the info, H. :cheers:

Let's see a show of hands: who was there? I was.
Precious and I were there.

Bunch of braggarts. Grumble, grumble...

Let's do it again.

I like the way you think. :thumbup:

I got to sit with Bill and Precious that night!

Is Imbibe on sale at newsstands? I'd love to read Paul's article, but don't feel like subscribing just now.

EDIT: I just reread Myownmolly's post. Will run to Barnes & Noble tomorrow. :wave2:

I'll check at the local Borders to see if they have it.

It's about time to start a new thread on the next NOLA event.

We're stoked! Precious and I were just discussing who, what and where.

Stoked I tell you!

I'll check at the local Borders to see if they have it.

It's about time to start a new thread on the next NOLA event.

After ice fishing, I will look for it!

Definitely! We should start a thread on the next NOLA event!

I would like diuscussing it, to determine if I can make it!!!

A subscription to Imbibe was one of my holiday gifts. Now the question is, will this be my first issue, or should I run out and pick up a copy just to be on the safe side? :g:

I wasn't familiar with Imbibe before this. The writeup was great! Found mine at Borders 1 of 2 that they had left....I might actually subscribe as it was a very decent magazine.

Great Job Hiram and gang! Great press for the green!

I lost it when I read that. :worshippy:

Imbibe is a great magazine. This Christmas while visiting my (Mormon) mom in Florida I gave her a copy of the last issue I was in. She called me the other day to say "Hey, this is a good magazine. It's not just all about booze! It's got all kinds of stuff in there about different kinds of coffees and teas and sodas—just about anything you can drink!" High praise from a 71 year old Mormon woman.

I have my copy on my desk at work. It was a very nice piece. Thank you all.

Assbinthe was caught on my first pass. :laugh: I'm glad it made it in as well.

I'm tickled by the idea of Hiram's Mormon mom reading "assbinthe". Now that the word has hit the print medium does that mean we expect to see it making its way into the OED in the future?

Reading this news belongs in the "What made you smile today" thread.