Sign in to follow this  
American Jambo

if you could only drink one absinthe...

That's an agonizing question, as you'll soon discover.

Jade Edouard, maybe.

In case you haven't stumbled across this thread, it'll come in handy.

I couldn't choose that, since I'm sure that there are so many good ones to come, some I know about already. I think the top ten absinthe thread gives a good impression on what many of us like currently.

Possibly the Mystery Verte I've been relishing for the past few days, although the Mystery Rouge is gaining on it rapidly....I did a side-by-side tasting with a small glass of 1914, and it's far closer in flavor to that elixir than the Belle Amie

The thing about this Mystery Rouge is that I was informed today that it's not a rouge at all, but rather the same absinthe as the Mystery Verte, except aged only about a month in a charred oak barrel.

Yuppers, an absinthe briefly aged like a bourbon.

All I can say, given its soft finesse after such a ridiculously short time is that its creator is onto something that could prove important.

There was an HG blanche I had at a fest a few years ago. I wish I could remember what it was, but it was delicious. I would drink it without getting tired of it. There are many great CO's out there, but I could not picture myself drinking any of them exclusively forever.

well there's a reason i ask. for instance, take wine. the best wine i've ever had was a '82 chateau cantermerle. brilliant wine. now, if i could only have one wine for the rest of my life it wouldn't be the '82 chateau cantermerle. why? beacuse it's too big and just too much to drink on a daily basis. i would actually choose louis jadot beaujolais villages. yep, i would take a $10 burgundy over an outstanding bordeaux as a daily drinker. it's easier to drink and it's not fatiguing on the palet at all. the top 10 thread is great for rating what you consider to be the best but that doesn't necessarily mean you'd drink your number one every day.

Dr. Yueh's Verte Especial-Stockwell line. Mainly because if I wasn't practicing incredible will power, it wouldn't stock well at all. :laugh: :cheers: ;)

the top 10 thread is great for rating what you consider to be the best but that doesn't necessarily mean you'd drink your number one every day.

I could drink anything on my top ten list every day if cost weren't an issue, and many others that weren't on the list. I seriously couldn't pick one absinthe to have for the rest of my life. They all have different strengths and weaknesses and being able to enjoy different absinthes makes my experience more complete and fulfilling.