Photo

I know it's not smoking, but it's tobacco...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bob

Bob

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Anyone have any experiences with this old-fashioned tobacco form?

#2 sandpedlar

sandpedlar

Big legs, cold hands.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

Anyone have any experiences with this old-fashioned tobacco form?

My dad picked it up in Germany. Good German restaraunts stateside sometimes offer it post-meal. Although I would be doubtful that many modern Germans actually do this habitually.

#3 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

There's a German beer hall here that has women cavorting around with snuff for patrons willing to give it a go. It makes me sneeze.
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#4 Trid

Trid

Ooo Shiny!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

Stupid sense of humor alert! You've been warned.

I can only imagine some perv google searching for back-alley deviant pr0n where the victims are killed, and then hitting this thread. Now I'm having flashbacks of the movie 8mm.

I guess this is my cue to pack up my work and go home...I'm getting nothing useful accomplished at this point...
Some people are like slinkies....not really useful for anything, but you can't help but to smile when you see them tumbling down a flight of stairs.

#5 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

The above post reminds me of the time I searched for the lyrics to "Scat Man". I had the gibbalies for a week.

I just looked into nasal snuff a couple weeks ago as a nicotine delivery system to help ween me off cigarettes should I decide to quit. I don't think I will actually quit, but I'm always looking for new and interesting habits!
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#6 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

You guys can snort all you want at the bad humor. Personally I think it blows.

Actually I've never tried it and don't mean to rain on anyone's habits/interests by being snotty. An english teacher in high school once showed me how to form a good nook on the top of your hand, near the wrist if you curl your thumb around just right.

Now that I think of it that sounds like something else one might find online.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#7 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

About thirty-five years ago, there was a sugar-snuff that came in little tins. I think there was a variety of flavors, strawberry seems familiar. As I recall, the target audience was coke fiends, I guess. I just remember all my friends trying it and sneezing sugar-snot all over their shirt fronts. It was a great way to impress the young ladies. :twitchsmile:

#8 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,636 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

sneezing sugar-snot all over their shirt fronts.

Thanks for firming up my lifetime commtiment to taking my absinthe sans sucre, T! :puke: :yahoo:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#9 biznacho

biznacho

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

In a jewelry class in HS we had a case full of vials of powdered colored glass used for enameling. The teacher said that when he started teaching the class in the early 80's some kid did a line of the white glass powder and bled like a stuck pig.

Also, baubel, I think I figured out how to make that little nook your talking about. It would be useful if I did snuff. Maybe.

Edit: Grammar helps make things legible.

#10 Bob

Bob

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:12 PM

I found nasal snuff for sale at this website, it appears to price at a couple of bucks for a gram or around eight dollars for an ounce, depending on which company's product you choose. Cheap enough to experiment with, and certainly much cheaper than experimenting again with pipe smoking (you'll see pipes over $500USD on the linked website, for example.)

I have thought of a couple of advantages of nasal snuff in the modern world, to wit:

1. It's not a smoke product, and thus won't be banned from the workplace, nor will the snufftaker (snuffler? snuffist? just what do you call these people?) find himself banished to winter sidewalks or corners of restaurants for indulging in his vice.

2. Unless you happen to sneeze brown powder on someone (unlikely), or leave residue on your nostril, no one will know you use it. Sniffing and sneezing can be excused as having a cold or allergy.

3. It's uncommon as a habit in this day and age (as is absinthe drinking, for that matter) and thus satisfies the inclinations of those who enjoy being outré. You could even role-play as a Regency fop, I suppose. :laf:

Anyway, I think I'll give it a try come payday. I'll let you all know how it works out.

#11 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:23 AM

My only problem with snuffing in public is that every moron and bouncer around will assume you are doing a bump of something else. I get enough "is that a joint?" questions and looks rolling my cigarettes.

It would be neat to have a bedazzled snuff box and float around like the Scarlett Pumpernickel.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#12 cowbwoy

cowbwoy

a wierd one

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

I tried some peach snuff from an online retailer a year ago or so. had a nifty little bullet sniffer(not just for white stuff) Interesting sensation and taste on the back of the toungue from drainage. The was a little bit of tickle, but not enough to sneaze, also didn't really notice if i was sniffleing any more than usual. But, of course you will get brown snot & boogers, way not cool.
Gren mwe fret!

#13 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

Is that a joint ya got there? :laf:

#14 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

"Nope, just a regular cigarette."
"SuuuUUuure! Lemme get a hit of that before I go back in, mang."

#15 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:22 AM

I used to do it in High Skewl, along with everything else.
Got tired of the buggerz.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#16 Rev. Joel+

Rev. Joel+

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

I re-enact the American Revolution as a Loyalist (God save the King!) and a large percentage of RevWar types sniff snuff. I am partial to Wilson of Sharrows Crumbs of Comfort myself. I keep a large tin on my desk at my secular job. A good snuff-up and you get a nice nicotine boast AND you smell the pretty flowers for at least a half an hour!
Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

#17 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

(snuffler? snuffist? just what do you call these people?)

Snuffleupagists ?:blink:
I am mot suffering from mental illness
Quite the contrary! I'm enjoying every minute!

#18 Fata Morgana

Fata Morgana

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

About thirty-five years ago, there was a sugar-snuff that came in little tins. I think there was a variety of flavors, strawberry seems familiar. As I recall, the target audience was coke fiends, I guess. I just remember all my friends trying it and sneezing sugar-snot all over their shirt fronts. It was a great way to impress the young ladies. :twitchsmile:

Pixie Sticks?

oh 5th grade...
"They really are the worst twins ever. "

#19 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

A little update. I have started going to a new tobacconist and noticed they had a little box with Dean Swift Snuff. It was only 2.50 so I picked it up. Menthol and Camphor, it is exhilarating, much like getting a "Sea Breeze" as I used to at illicit parties with two turntables. I think I may actually breathe better through my poor nose than I did before. We shall see what long term use does.

#20 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I think I may actually breathe better through my Poor nose

Whose nose do you use otherwise?

#21 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

Prince Charles. He has plenty to go around.

It appears to have received substantial damage durng the eighties though...

#22 Rev. Joel+

Rev. Joel+

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

I do believe it was on the Wilson of Sharrow site they discussed the health issues associated with Nasal Snuff. "Since the common use of nasal snuff began, the only reported health problem was from a Welshman that had daily put a half a grame of snuff in his EAR for 30 some odd years. He ended up with a large carbuncle on the affected ear." Only a Welshman! :laf:
Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

#23 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

Carbuncle. Now there's a mellifluous word. Pun intended!
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#24 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

Eeeew!

::Takes snuff out of ear::

#25 Bob

Bob

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:51 AM

Just a follow-up so as to provide this thread with both a beginning and an end, at least from my perspective: I purchased three McChrystal's snuffs: menthol, clove, and lemon. I quickly became accustomed to the process of taking snuff, usually tapping some out of the box onto a thumbnail and then lifting it to my nose for a delicate inhale.

Sad to say, I experienced no tobacco effect from any of the snuffs. A friend said that the effect is subtle; apparently it's so subtle that I can't even detect it. The menthol and lemon snuffs seemed to have more of an effect than the clove, but that may have been from the flavorings rather than the tobacco. The clove snuff was my favorite (are there any clove liquors or absinthes that use clove as an ingredient? I'd love to try some!), but for all the effect I got I might have been sniffing pure clove spice.

Ah, well. Maybe a pipe or some pipe tobacco cigars would be better, after all.

#26 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

It's understandable that the buzz would appear to be so small. Just look at the tiny little lump you are using compared to how much tobacco is in a cigarette. I went all day at work without cigarettes and only did snuff on my breaks instead. I won't say I was completely at ease, I felt like I was forgetting something all day, but I didn't get grouchy or stabby like I usually do sans nicotine.

#27 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

About thirty-five years ago, there was a sugar-snuff that came in little tins. I think there was a variety of flavors, strawberry seems familiar. As I recall, the target audience was coke fiends, I guess.

Cökesnuff was the name of it. Jasmine was my favorite.

I purchased three McChrystal's snuffs: menthol, clove, and lemon... The menthol and lemon snuffs seemed to have more of an effect than the clove, but that may have been from the flavorings rather than the tobacco. The clove snuff was my favorite (are there any clove liquors or absinthes that use clove as an ingredient? I'd love to try some!), but for all the effect I got I might have been sniffing pure clove spice.

Clove, huh? Thirty-five years ago, I had a snuff habit big time. Back then, there was a brand known as Doctor Rumney's Mentholyptus that I used a lot. I'm glad I kicked, it's a disgusting habit, but I still have a hankering for it every now & then, no thanks to you, Bob! ;)

...sugar-snot...

Everybody's least favorite term of endearment. :tongue:

Edited by Guillaume Lanfray, 04 February 2008 - 12:22 PM.

#28 sandpedlar

sandpedlar

Big legs, cold hands.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

Too bad! The Mr. smokes a pipe. Only way to go , as far as I'm concerned.
Makes the house smell nice, and him not like a bloody ashtray,what!
:cheers:

#29 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

My dad smoked a pipe for a while. Then he got a mouthful of ash and unsmoked tabbacky. That was enough for him. Different smokes for different blokes though, I guess.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#30 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:55 AM

*sigh* I tried the cokesnuff in the mid 70's. It didn't work for me. I like the smell of good cigars and pipes. The hookah intrigues me and a new shop just opened about two miles from my house.
Snuff? Aw, no thank you. No secondaries! ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association