Brooks

Doctah Ahhnold

Why do I ever bother responding to people's random blog entries? No good deed goes unpunished and honestly, my warrior spirit is flagging. Since switching from absinthe to ginger ale last August, the fight's gone out of me.

I have no problem with the kid whose blog it is. He's obviously brand-new to absinthe, and open to learning something.

Today's challenge comes from a thujone-loving champion of Absinth King of Spirits Gold who cites, as his thujone authority, a Dr. Arnold.

Is anyone here sufficiently "up" on the good doctor's research to shoot it down with one or two bullets? If you don't want to get involved, I totally understand. In fact, I'm washing my hands of the whole thing.

Cheerio :cheers:

Brooks, it seems as though you've done a fine job yourself! As usual, and Shabba too!

Having said that, although I'm about as far from an expert as you can get sometimes, I do intend to post something relevant. If only, if only, so that it might convince one other person. Unflagging optimism, I say.

:cheers:

Seems like a comprehensive refutation of Dr. Arnold's claims would be a useful addition to the WWS library. Then members could simply link to it when necessary to clean up a thujone-splattered blog.

The posse gallops in on thundering hooves, dazzles, and gallops off into the sunset.

Ya gots ta luv da WS posse!

Shabbz, Trid, and Speedle.....thank you so much, guys. :thumbup:

I promise not to cause any more trouble. No more responding to blogs.

Oh, I think we did. Shabba and I went back and apologized to the kid for bursting in like stormtroopers.

Imagine a parallel scenario: You're blogging about cherry bombs, and the Manhattan Project breaks down your door.

Of course, if the young blogger had done his homework before writing his entry, perhaps there would have been no need for emergency WS intervention....

His blog entry wasn't so bad, there were just a couple inaccuracies...it was the assbinth pimp who commented afterward that needed the smackin'. Christopher (the blogger) simply became caught in the crossfire.

A glaring fault in his original post>

Lucid absinthe is made with grande wormwood, thujone, sweet fennel, green anise, and other fine European herbs.

It makes it seem like they add it in separately as an ingredient.

His blog entry wasn't so bad, there were just a couple inaccuracies...it was the assbinth pimp who commented afterward that needed the smackin'. Christopher (the blogger) simply became caught in the crossfire.

I did not mean to be overly critical of Christopher's original blog post, though Shabba's point re the explicit listing of thujone is well taken. What I meant was, regardless of the merits of the original post, it quickly became clear that the blogger was not aware of the thujone debate and thus not able to deal with the "assbinth pimp" (as you so memorably put it) on his own. If he had done a bit more research before posting, he could have written a better article to begin with and would perhaps have been equipped to address the misinformation posted afterwards.

He had not done, and thus the good offices of the Wormwood Society were required. That's all.

The witching hour approaches...happy new year, all.

Chris reacted with grace and intelligence.

I wonder what Broom's motives are? "See, see! They're out to get you!"

Perhaps after Chris does his homework and sees that WS is about education and dispelling the hype, he'll consider joining our motley crew (assuming he likes absinthe, of course). I am impressed with his open-minded handling of what might have become a shouting match. There are good lessons in that. Well done, Chris!

Thanks for the thread, Brooks. You're a gem and a fine spokesman for us.

Strange; I just checked the University of Kansas website--there is no record of a Dr. Niels Arnold on staff or faculty.

Obviously, the Univ. of Kansas has miss-placed the good doctor; it's inconceivable that "Mike S." was lying.

Isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm striking out, too. I'm finding nothing at U of K. This might be worth a phone call to a Kansas colleague when school reopens. :g:

You may be checking the wrong name. He posted his full details in one of the recent absinthe blog discussions, as follows:

Wilfred Niels Arnold Ph.D.

Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

University of Kansas Medical Center

Kansas City, Kansas 66160 - 7421

warnold@kumc.edu

Using this, his KUMC details are here.

You're a gem and a fine spokesman for us.
Thanks, T. I have to admit that I'm running out of steam on the missionary stuff. Dealing endlessly with the same-old-same-old is depleting — as every one of us can attest!

post-143-1199206828.gif

I agree with you that Chris' handling of this thread was very classy, and throws into sharp relief how snarky the net has become.

You may be checking the wrong name. He posted his full details in one of the recent absinthe blog discussions, as follows:

Wilfred Niels Arnold Ph.D.

Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

University of Kansas Medical Center

Kansas City, Kansas 66160 - 7421

warnold@kumc.edu

Using this, his KUMC details are here.

Thanks, Alan. Apparently my web searching skills are not up to snuff.

I bow to your superior web fu. :worshippy:

I have to admit that I'm running out of steam on the missionary stuff. Dealing endlessly with the same-old-same-old is depleting — as every one of us can attest!

It's like sweeping one's front porch...there's no end to it, but it's still worth doing.

It's like sweeping one's front porch...there's no end to it, but it's still worth doing.
Now that you mention it, Marlow, I'm fed up with housecleaning too. Who here does windows?

For the past hour, I haven't been able to access Chris' blog. I keep getting a blank page and the message "No input file specified"......whatever that means.

:shock: King of Spirits Gold has dispatched hooded agents to set fire to Chris' blog! This is a dark day.

Who here does windows?

I've personally refurbished half the windows in my house, if that's what you mean. Most of the glass is still streaked from my glazing, though, if you're just talking about washing 'em. Everyone has to draw the line somewhere.

FWIW, I see a few of Chris's replies on the blog which appeared in my inbox...though I too am getting the "No input file specified." error. It looks like he's registered with WS, but is in the waiting-for-approval-so-he-can-post mode.

Chris, if you're still reading, this is to try to eliminate spammers, not to be snobbish...hang in there