Sign in to follow this  
Larspeart

Lemoncello

Hey gang. I just wanted to let ya'll know I finished a fresh batch of some phenomenal lemoncello this week (3 quarts, actually. Gifting a lot of it).

Anyone here a fan? What recipes do you all usually use? I used two kinds of lemons this time, and I experimented with a single lime zested in this batch to great results.

My brother's neighbor is from Italy and she let us try some she had made. I don't know her exact recipe, but she said she used everclear and lemons she hand picked herself from California that hadn't been exposed to pesticides or weird ass chemicals. I only had a little bit, but it kicked ass. :yahoo:

I'm running low and need to whip up another batch. My snooping about the intar-webs led me to experiment a little. Frequently I've seen recommendations that the base spirit is best at 100 proof or higher. I find a mix of about 2 parts 40% vodka to 1 part Everclear (75% here in CA :thumbdown: ) works pretty well.

In a half pint mason jar I added my zest [1] and my base spirit and let it sit for 2 weeks. I flipped it upside down once daily. After 2 weeks, strain and add 1/2 cup white sugar and let it dissolve. Let it sit still for one week and then decant off of the sediment. Scale accordingly.

Another fun one that I picked up from my mom is a twist on Cherry Heering.

Any size jar (this one scales without the slightest amount of thought). Pack the jar full of fresh whole cherries [2]...to the top, but not compressed or forced. Add sugar and shake to get it to settle down to the bottom, between all the cherries. Add until you can't fit any more. Add Everclear (I used the good stuff...95% that I brought back home from Colorado) until, just like the sugar and the cherries, you can't get any more in there after letting it settle and distribute. Set outside in the sun, flipping once daily. Mom's was served around Christmas time, so that would make it (cherry season=July, 12-7=5) 5 months of macerating the cherries in the sugar/alcohol pickle. Mm-mm good! Potent too (as if I'd have to tell you :) )

[1] Zest combinations:

-one whole lemon (regular grocery store variety)

-one whole lemon and one whole lime

-three whole limes (my favorite) Nifty when added to a mojito or margarita.

-one whole Meyer lemon...actually became my least favorite. Tasted way too close to Lemon Pledge.

[2] Mom's recipe called for pie or tart cherries. I couldn't locate any fresh locally (or even frozen) so I used Bing cherries...I'm happy with the result, personally. Pits are left in.

We've got something we call 'The Cherries' that's similar. It's only 2 weeks and without the sugar. The resulting cherry flavored everclear is an essential ingredient in "The Red Hammer," served at the annual Cold War Party. Quite delicous and slips into Renn. Faire easily as well. The Cherries that is.

I used a bunch of lemons from my parents Arizona back yard. It turned out real nice. Also helped to make some with my brother in Italy from lemons in his yard. I like the idea of adding a lime to it. My recipes were just basic - maceration, sugar and water. I used an 80 proof vodka though, let that macerate for a month, then heated some water and dissolved the sugar in that, and added it to the jar, let it sit a while longer.

Absinthist's Limoncello

zests from two lemons

and one little slice of lemon

for 100ml of rectified spirit at 95% add 100ml of spring water, wait until it dissolves.

In a jar mix zests and slice with the concoction (47.5%), macerate.

In the meantime, 150g of white sugar boil with 200ml of water.

After maceration, when the alcoholate is quite yellow and zests are white, add syrup to it just if you wish to be sweet or not. The best is if left at 23.75%. After a while or while serving you can add some lemon juice as I have been saying. Enjoy!

For those who have not seen it. Very delicious liqueur, indeed.

Mine was (all times three different batches)

9 organic lemons

2 meyer lemons

1 qt. EC.

3 cups simple syrup.

1 cup purified water.

Zest the lemons (exclude any and all pith), drop into a quart mason jar, and then let it steep and soak for 2 weeks. Once a day, i shook the hell out of it. Strain (I double-strained it) out, and then in a large bowl, I slowly whisked in the syrup. From there, I added water at 1/8 cup portions to hit my strength/thickness preference.

It has been delightful, and has been disappearing (magically) ever since.

Yum,

Just tried some Lemoncello, wanted to know how to make it.

Saw this simple recipe,

Looks easy...

i like the italian accent, reminds me of my hometown of Philly hehe.

"Sit oah-side... in da summah... a little caprese` salad... little pasta... reeeeal nice like that."

When my wife and I went to France about a year ago, we had dinner a couple of times at an Italian restaurant in Cannes. (La Piazza?) After dinner, they brought tiny little thimble-sized cups of Limoncello as a digestiv. We'd never had it before - delicious!

There's an Italian restaurant in Granite Bay (north of Folsom, CA) called Dominic's that makes a great Limoncello Martini. We tried to duplicate it. I posted the results of our reasonably successful experiment in the "What Ya Drinkin' Tonight?" thread. Here's a link: Limoncello Martini

Saúde!