Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

It arrived! Err...arriven? Arrove?

Ok so yeah I'm a newb... I just had a knock on my door and USPSanta was there with my Doubs. Its my first, so I'm jiggling here.

I'm wondering how ice cold water is suppose to melt ANYTHING let alone a sugar cube - that stuff ran right over it and left it as hard as a brick.

Cheers!

:cheers:

Edited by Daniel

Hopefully, you let it slowly drip over the ice cube? Occasionally, I've stumbled across a sugar cube that's gotten moist and re-dried. They are as hard as concrete! About the only thing you can do with them is turn 'em into simple syrup.

Don't forget to add your review of the Doubs to the WS main web page. You may as well start now! :cheers:

Arriven sounds cool! :devil:

Let the sugar get wet and sit a minute. With a slow pour / drip, it usually dissolves pretty easily. I don't usually use sugar, but this seems to work when I do. :cheers:

I bought a brouille & decided to use that instead of the spoon method. The sugar cube goes in the "bowl" with the ice, and then you fill it with water and it drizzles out the hole in the bottom. The sugar pretty much stayed just as it was through the whole thing.

I'll post a review on the Doubs Mysique later... :yahoo:

Don't get hung up on sugar. It's not necessary to be authentic. Try it with and without to see how you like it best. And at least until you've had a lot of different absinthes I'd suggest trying everything both with and without. Over time you'll probably develop a preference that you stick with.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

I bought a brouille & decided to use that instead of the spoon method. ... The sugar pretty much stayed just as it was through the whole thing.

I've had much the same experience and have concluded that one really has to use the spoon to get sugar to dissolve properly. But I agree with Peridot...always try a new absinthe without the sugar, as many good ones don't require it at all.

I concur that sugar doesn't work in a brouille.

I think the sugar needs the violence of the drip to break it up.

To sugar or not is a separate subject.

no no no, you're not doing it right-- FIRST you dip the sugar cube in absinthe, THEN you put it on the tip of your tongue and light it, then RIGHT while your mouth lights on fire, do the shot!

300_ScreenShot003-1.jpg

:mbanana:

Ohhhh...you put it on your tongue THEN light it...i was lighting it first. Another rift is appearing in the Absinthe community. Then there is the rigid traditionalist who insists that 3 or more flaming cubes must be juggled whilst riding a unicycle just like Hemingway did it. :devil:

But anyway Daniel i have had only 5 brands and use different amounts of sugar for each.

I dont use cubes anymore but stir in a super fine sugar.

The water is dripped slowly of course!

As others have said, when using sugar I find that letting the first few drops of water soak into the cube before continuing to be helpful. I also use Domino Dots that I keep in a ziploc bag and they work very well. I do not use sugar very often. However, generally my girlfriend likes her with a bit of sweetness.

Each to his/her own.

no no no, you're not doing it right-- FIRST you dip the sugar cube in absinthe, THEN you put it on the tip of your tongue and light it, then RIGHT while your mouth lights on fire, do the shot!

Another argument for Darwin. :no: What a bunch of dumb asses.

(Edit: Just as a point of clarification, that comment was not directed at Salsa but the poor clown in the photo)

The simple syrup is the way to go. Make it, bottle it and use it as needed. Louche your drink to suit you and if it ever needs sugar.....then by all means....add to your hearts content.

I know, I know, the simple syrup drips right through the spoon. Work with me here! ;)

The main thing is to relax and enjoy.

:cheers:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions :) I have done both with and without the sugar, and as I put in the review a couple days ago I kinda prefer it "with".

I think I've gotten addicted :laf: Usually about 7 or 8 in the evening I start giving the bottle sideways glances..

I have my sites set on Jade - either N. Orleans or Ed 72 - next and maybe what is it called, Serpis? 65 - the one that looks like Hi C - just cuz its different.

(edited out the "laugh out loud" abbreviation because it did...strange...things...)

Edited by Daniel

Leave the word filter for that one..it is always nice to see.

The Serpis is indeed different..but I like it. Markus sells mini's of them and others. Perfect for sampling.

Well I ordered a sample bottle of it to try it out :) And a sample of one of the Jades - that stuff looks like its 75 bucks a sniff.

Edited by Daniel