Absomphe

Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes

1. Catskill 68/L'Italienne #2 for something indescribable in the aroma/taste

2. Leopold #14/Promethee #1 for freshness and uniqueness (still, Promethee #3 is even more promising)

3. Les Valotes:Bovet 54/Martin 54/Helfrich blanche for perfect "blancheness"

4. Helfrich verte for craziness

5. Belle Amie (1st edition) for proper colouration and adherence to the recipe

6. Malicia verte/ Angelique verte

7. Wanner La Fée de la Rade/Wanner La Fée Verte

7. Verte de Fougerolles

8. La Valote: Martin 55

9. Bovet Tradition

10. Martin L'Originale 72

So far, so good, so shall it stay for a while

Absinthist scores from FV:

6. Malicia verte - 64

7. Wanner La Fée de la Rade - 61

7. Wanner La Fée Verte - 59

8. La Valote: Martin - 85

9. Bovet Tradition - 64

10. Martin L'Originale - 72

You're telling me that there aren't other absinthes you've tried that rate higher than the 50s and 60s that would be above what's already there?

Hey, I have just given you my current top 10 (including 10 only), so what's the deal?

there aren't other absinthes you've tried that rate higher

And so they are, the first 5. And Martin 55 is 64 points, btw; the 54 is 85 points, so do not mix these two.

1. L'Italienne #2-95

2. Delaware Phoenix Walton Waters-86 (the review has not been published yet)

3. Leopold #14-84

4. Promethee #1-94 (private review)

5. Martin 54-85

6. Helfrich blanche-89

7. Helfrich verte-93

8. Belle Amie (1st edition)-94

9. Malicia verte-64

10.Angelique verte-80

The points reflect how I felt about them while reviewing, the list puts in the real perspective, which is better than other and why.

I'm glad you finally cropped it down to actually 10 (although it's still irritating that you continue to add brands that aren't available yet). I was just confused because I read all the reviews on FV and saw the scores.

I'm not second-guessing your ratings for each absinthe, I was just stumped on how an absinthe that rates in the 50s can break your top 10, knowing you try so many brands, including what are regarded the best in the industry.

I was attacked by a "big picture" kind of question the other day, and simply out of curiousity I'm going to ask it.

For those folks who are compiling their list of top ten, who have sampled (for arguments sake) less than 12 brands of absinthe:

Are you ranking all of the absinthes you've ever tasted, and are simply reporting the top ten?

*or*

Are you doing some screening first and listing the top ten, but only absinthes that *deserve* to be top ten?

For example, let's say that I've tried exactly ten absinthes. But I feel that half of them are really not my cup of tea and will never be bought/tasted again. When making up a top ten list, I'm afraid that I could not, in good conscience, list the five I don't like along with the five that I do.

Just wondering if others are doing, or feel, the same.

:cheers:

Pick your real top 5 and then just put Mansinthe in there to look cool. And maybe an impromptu gushing review of Lucid and/or the Kübe....! It worked for me.

Actually I was in a very similar position before these people had their way with me. My situation was that by far the greater portion of my absinthesperience was with HG's of pretty variable quality. I had had some Blanches that were actually pretty good, but the Vertes were considerably more, um, varied. I knew Czechsinthe was bad news but still considered it a legitamate expression of Absinthe, just one I didn't care for. Regardless, "that one really nice batch from so-and so in 2002" or whatever is not gonna work. I had had about a dozen CO's by the time I put my first list together, so it was really just a matter of excluding the real poopers and figuring out what I was in the mood for at the time. Quite variable, I know. I actually far prefer the Top 3 thing, I can come up with an answer for that much more quickly. And it's no less variable. :laugh:

For those folks who are compiling their list of top ten, who have sampled (for arguments sake) less than 12 brands of absinthe...

That's an excellent point. Even for experienced absinthe drinkers, how many do we regularly drink enough to know inside and out? I could easily put together my top 5 or 6 but after that, I probably be basing the list off memory. I have a very few favorites for special occasions and only a couple of "go to" daily drinkers. A Top Five List might be interesting as well as more representative of what's really top shelf.

List the top ones in your opinion and put undecided on the rest of the numbers.

Or be like me and not make a list OR do this.

1. Jades, Eichelberger, VP, Marteau (both), La P'tite, Claud Bugnon's, La Volote's, Un Emile's, BdA, VdF, BdF, Kübler, Franois Guy and Lucid.

2. undecided

3. undecided

4. undecided

My favorite is the glass of absinthe in my hand at that moment in time. The rest are runners up!

I know that was no help what-so-ever. At one time or another these ranked high among the members. The archives bear this out. I'm just playing around but the list can change with each new product making me appear fickle. I reckon I really am fickle. I have had the pleasure of drinking some damn good absinthe and I'm looking forward to the next terrific CO. I understand there are some terrific products soon to be released.

Admins feel free to delete or re-arrange at your discretion. My apologies. :closedeyes:

I'll take a reprimand if warranted.

:cheers:

Alright, I'll bite. My first offering at a Top XX. For the record, I've tried 18 CO's.

1. Marteau AdlBE

2. Vieux Pontarlier

3. Clandestine La Bleue

After here, it gets to be a bit of a toss-up, because I have to be in the mood for the specific flavors represented:

4. Jade PF 1901

5. Kübler (US)

6. Leopold Bros. Absinthe Verte Batch 14

7. L'Italienne

8. Duplais Verte (US)

9. Lucid

10. La Coquette

Not making the Top Ten: Serpis 65, Trillium, St. George, Jade Edouard, Obsello, Pernod AEPDA, Absenta Deva, Le Tourment Vert. Some additional ones will arrive this week and I'll be giving them the ol' taste test: Montmartre, Sirene, Eichelberger Limitee 68, Roquette 1797, and then Belle Amie 2 later this month.

Well coming from a newbie I can only give you this.

no top ten. I've not had ten. But a journey to 10 that enjoy and buy again.

I have had a few not worth the bottle they were rotting in. Four to be exact.

I've also have had spent some time choking down Lucid. It seem to thin and the taste.... lets just say it seemed simple and well cheap. I spent way too much money for it.

Strong 68 ...... not that bad. I would just call it fun.

Now last night Duplais Verte set me on the right path.

All I can say is that it's wonderful. It's the first "real" (to me at least) absinthe i've had.

So for a top ten list I would put

#1 DUPLAIS VERTE

#2 ?

Tonight I have a date with Montmartre

I think it will make it. I've only seen good things about it. ;)

BTW this thread has been a great deal of help and this site has also guided me in the right direction. TY

Duplais Verte is a nice start in the right direction. Monty has two rather distinct groups: those who really like it, and those who hate it. Personally, I liked the first edition better than the second. The first edition was unique. The second edition tastes good, but its flavor profile just lumps it in with all the others.

Duplais Verte is a nice start in the right direction. Monty has two rather distinct groups: those who really like it, and those who hate it. Personally, I liked the first edition better than the second. The first edition was unique. The second edition tastes good, but its flavor profile just lumps it in with all the others.

And the Montmartre? I was going to save it to drink with SOMEONE, ANYONE. But hey I got em for myself.... it's just nicer to share the green goodness.

Personally, I liked the first edition better than the second. The first edition was unique. The second edition tastes good, but its flavor profile just lumps it in with all the others.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. There's still a reasonably hefty amount of cinnamon that sets it apart, although compared to the first effort, I'll grant that it's relatively tame. However, the use of orange and lemon zest adds a bigger citric profile than in the vast majority of absinthes I've tasted, and this aspect is even more apparent in the second edition, since the reduced cinnamon allows more of that flavor to come through.