Absomphe

Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes

Yes! I think of it as a whole bunch of dry little yellow Italian flowers exploding in the alpine sun from being bowled over by a mutant wormwood-grapefruit hybrid plant thing. Or maybe the other way around. But, uh, I mean, I really dig it ok, so you can all stop looking at me like that. :blink:

That made more sense to me drunk than sober! May the Lord bless and keep you always :cheers:

I 've thought of that perfuminess as incredibly floral (in a very dry sort of way) from the beginning, and that's what I thought set the L'Italienne apart from any other absinthe I've tried.

Well, yeah, its all perfumey, I guess I am referring to the dry part of the perfumeyness, which gives way to a more blatantly floral thing after a bit. I can also taste it better on my tongue without my schnozz gettin all full of the treble whilst the Midrange and ever-so-slight Bass notes do their thing. The wormwood stays back a bit and after the opening salvo it steps up like a horn section playing a chord that fades into a note, that becomes the intro for a series of short solos, all with accompaniment and seamless enough to be classical but alive enough to be jazz.

Overall I think the weather change is helping my appreciation as well,drinking La Coquette during athe grey part of the year is like trying to force a party. Like Mötorhead on a rainy morning. L'itallienne is more like Miles's Quintet circa 1958 on a rainy morning. Plus, a small hit of L'itallienne will stay effectively in the back of the nose for some time and I like that quite a bit.

PF 1901 is tasting sweeter and sweeter to me of late and Doubs seems dryer and dryer. Both great, just a matter of placement I guess.

...drinking La Coquette during athe grey part of the year is like trying to force a party. Like Mötorhead on a rainy morning. L'itallienne is more like Miles's Quintet circa 1958 on a rainy morning.

I find L'Italienne to be more of a summery absinthe, due to its intensely tight dryness, which is somewhat akin to a pilsener malt-based, and highly hopped IPA (like Grant's used to be, decades ago) La Coquette, on he other hand, is, to me, more suitable for winter sippin', with its spicy profile, and creamy body.

Different strokes...

I thought I had a semi-established Booze Policy some time ago but now I just follow my tastebuds and sometimes the pattern defies logic. But I ain't Vulcan so............you know.

I find that Copper Based green Blood too reminiscent of certain poor quality drinks adulterated with Copper Sulfate. :puke:

Got that Skeksis silverware at the ready as well.........

Some honest blokes like big butts.

And they cannot lie...

"Do these jeans make my butt look big?"

"Why, of course not, dear. Your butt makes those jeans look small."

Hey, what can I say, sometimes the couch actually works wonders on my back. :twitchsmile:

It seems like a top 10 changes daily for me, but since I've never posted one, here it goes.

As of today:

1. Jade Eduoard (The day something tastes better than this I may end up becoming an alcoholic.)

2. Doubs Mystique

3. Jade PF 1901

4. Promethee

5. Roquette 1797

6. Marteau Verte Classique

7. Sirene Verte (AMERICA, :censor1: YEAH!)

8. La Coquette (It was much higher until Peridot pointed out the grassiness in his review. Somehow, I'd never noticed it before. I do now, and if Peridot is reading this I'd like to say thank you for helping to educate my palate.)

9. Leopold Verte ((Batch #10) USA! USA! USA!)

10. Duplais Verte

Ask me tomorrow and it may be different.

There are several major brand absinthes I haven't tried yet, but I think I can place my top 5 so far:

1. Roquette 1797

2. Jade PF 1901

3. Doubs Mystique

4. Jade Verte Suisse

5. Duplais Verte

There are several major brand absinthes I haven't tried yet, but I think I can place my top 5 so far:

1. Roquette 1797

2. Jade PF 1901

Meatwaggon, you are a...vicious-looking alien being after my own heart. :)

My updated list:

1. Jade PF 1901 (still the belle of the ball)

2. Vieux Pontarlier

2. Roquette 1797

4. Jade Nouvelle Orleans

5. Jade Edouard

6. La P'tite

7. Verte de Fougerolles

8. Obsello Absenta

9. Belle Amie

10. Kübler

Did not make top ten:

Lucid

Leopold

Notable absinthes I have not yet tried:

Marteau

Duplais

La Clandestine

La Coquette

Doubs Mystique

L'Italienne

Jade Verte Suisse

Some re-visit:

1. Catskill 68

2. Leopold #14

3. Promethee #1

4. Belle Amie (1st edition)

5. Helfrich blanche

6. Helfrich verte

7. Malicia verte

8. Angelique verte

9. Wanner La Fée de la Rade

10. Wanner La Fée Verte

This is about to change when L'Italienne #2 comes. Some other extraits are coming as well (like Taboo AFAIR).