Absomphe

Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes

Hey, Tansyman...

So, Belle Amie went from first to nonexistent on your list?

What a crock of :poop:

And don't tell me it's not a currently available commercial product, cuz it wasn't in August, either.

Fuck, I knew I missed something important. You know my palate better, Old Man:

1. Belle Amie

2. Promethee

3. Helfrich blanche

4. Helfrich verte

5. Malicia verte

6. Angelique verte

7. Roquette 1797

8. Wanner La Fée de la Rade

9. Verte de Fougerolles

10. Wanner La Fée Verte

Blame it on these Fruit défendu from Helvetia :devil:

Wanner is a producer from Geneva, makes two vertes and one bleue. Both vertes are coloured with pontica and melissa.

http://www.absintissimo.ch/

Malicia is generally la bleue coloured as gently as possible and at 55%, distilled in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. The other extrait is la bleue called Le Chat Malicieux.

http://www.gate24.ch/en/firmen/La%20Chaux-...60-2958548.aspx

Both are availably locally and obtainable from the makers.

Les distillateurs suisses préparent une liqueur alcoolique, aromatisée par l’absinthe et l’anis (…) liqueur, qu’ils nomment extrait d’absinthe, est compose de la manière suivante:

Interesting since you, yourself are using that 'idiosyncratic jargon' on every label of Marteau Verte Classique, I might have problems with sight, but so far I am not blind.

In case you do not know, there are at least 10 names for absinthe used not only in Switzerland; some are not that common, rather regional, but do exist and some producers use them on their labels as well.

What is so special about putting three new COs from Switzerland on the list? There is nothing clandestine about them, maybe they are too small distilleries to be included anyhow?

Time for a little re-visit:

1. Doubs Mystique

2. L'Italienne

3. Some CO prototype

4. Leopold Verte (batch #10)

5. PF1901

6. Brevans

7. Roquette 1797

8. Taboo Gold

9. Verte de Fougerolles

10. Eichelberger 68

I'm sure I could squeeze Duplais Verte in there if I had more than a fading memory of a sample I tried 6 months ago. It falls somewhere between #4 and #10, not sure yet. Balance was OK too... liked Verte more.

Oh what the Heck, my list has been restructured and reshuffled several times since my last declaration of favoritism. Here's what sounds good today---

1. L'Itallienne(yes, you heard right. Haven't posted a review due to browser issues, but stay tuned)

2. La Coquette

3. Doubs Mystique

4. PF 1901 (actually pretty much tied with Doubs, just depends what flavor I crave that day)

5. Swiss Marteau

6. Eichelberger 68

7. Verte de Fougerolles

8. Combier Blanchette

9. Brut D'alembic #4

10. CLB

Haha you devil! :devil: So you have come to love L'Italienne, as I have. I remember you weren't too keen on it the last time you posted your impressions. It's certainly different at first. But once one gets past that, its charms are hard to resist.

Ok, I'm going to cheat in a completely different way than others have. It's 'cause there's so much absinthe to love! I'll probably need to update this as soon as I try some more absinthes from right here in the US anyhow.

1. L'Italienne

2. Jade Ed & VS

3. Helfrich Verte

4. Jade PF1901

5. Marteau Verte Classique, Balance & Twin Tec

6. Maitresse Rouge

7. La P'tite

8. Clandestine Charlotte

9. Blanchette

10. Obsello

yeah, I know I kinda pitched a hissy fit before but that was strictly an aesthetic concern.. but I was also under the spell of the La Coquette, which was really what my tastebuds were looking for at the time. Actually my review is based on your sample, when the time was right and I had an idea what to expect the stuff went down beautifully, a one way ticket to Happy Land. Since then I have checked my bottle out and it's almost completely cleared up, so I've been chippin' away at it, and have to restrain myself. I like to let it sit for about 20 minutes and some of the perfuminess has wafted off and a more floral thing comes out.....mmmm.

I 've thought of that perfuminess as incredibly floral (in a very dry sort of way) from the beginning, and that's what I thought set the L'Italienne apart from any other absinthe I've tried.

Yes! I think of it as a whole bunch of dry little yellow Italian flowers exploding in the alpine sun from being bowled over by a mutant wormwood-grapefruit hybrid plant thing. Or maybe the other way around. But, uh, I mean, I really dig it ok, so you can all stop looking at me like that. :blink:

But I think I get what buddha's sayin'...it seems like floral qualities are more open and less fused together, as the beverage warms closer to room temp.

it seems like floral qualities are more open and less fused together, as the beverage warms closer to room temp.

Agreed! That's pretty much what I've been saying. I feel I can pick out and enjoy the layers better as well.

JMHO. :cheers:

I've

Look at you, so tightly wound, and bound up.

You need to pour yourself an Absomphesized dose, which increases the medicinal efficacy.

Or so I ' v e heard.