Absomphe

Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes

ok, what the heck. In no particular order....

L'Ancienne

Mol (freshly bottled, anyway; the part I like ages out in a matter of 4 to 6 weeks after opening)

Ridge Verte

La Grenoille

Perroquet

Pacifique

Blues Cat

Walton Waters

the newer Marteau

and just for laughs I'll put Jade PF 1901 even though I haven't actually tasted it for a couple of years, but what the heck.

Ok, I'll play...most of this is based upon first bottles ordered years ago but I distinctly remember falling in love with. Though some of them seem to have gone down hill recently. Not sure if it's just different batches but they tasted quite different (not nearly as good) the second or third time around. Anyway in no particular order:

Valkyria

Nostalgie Paris 1900

Walton Waters

Meadow Of Love

Butterfly

PF 1901

La P'tite Originale

La P'tite Douce

Fontaine

La Clandestine

Let's see. No order

1. L'Ancienne

2. Suavage

3. L'Italienne

4. La Grenouille

5. MoL

6. WW

7. Ridge verte

8. Ridge blanche

9. PF 1914

10. Clandestine

Edited by greytail

Nice! I could see my list looking a lot like that. However, it is my sad duty to inform you that PF1914 is no longer a commercial offering. The PF1901 on the other hand... ;)

Indeed! They should bottle the stuff!

Here's my list for today, order is totally irrelevant.

L'Ancienne

La Grenouille

Jade VS

Pacifique

Marteau

Meadow of Love

Walton Waters

Ridge Blanche

Maitresse Rouge

Belle Amie

I thought commercial was a interesting term as pre-ban Pernod was "commercial" when it was produced. I assume then that it is "in production now" Absinthe.

I have somewhat limited experience so far, but I'll through my 2 cents in so far. Amazingly so I am going with the outlyer in my list for number 1. It is so different and so interesting and so warm and so it created more desire to go back then the rest. I am sure my order will change with time, but these have been the most interesting in that which is produced today so far. The Marteau especially is slowly growing on me. The Delaware's are so crisp and bright. Oh it's such a good time to be alive. :-)

1. Saint George Absinthe Verte (Alameda California USA)

2. Delaware Phoenix "Walton Waters" Absinthe Superieure

3. Delaware Phoenix "Meadow Of Love" Absinthe Superieure

4. Vieux Carré Absinthe Supérieure

5. Tenneyson Absinthe Royale

6. Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure

7. Blanche Traditionelle Absinthe Brut d' Alambic

8. Kübler Absinthe (It's just so clean and smooth and classic.. It's a good place to start)

9. Marteau Master's Reserve

10. Marteau Belle Époque

It seems to be a really true Absinthe comparatively. Great flavor and nose. Perfectly complex with the basic ingredients. Hard to find stateside.

I had to cheat and have a couple oz sent from the UK from a friend. I am still wondering where to find it here. I'm digging.

Edited by darkvader75

So, what with my vast experience if tasting two different brands in, well, the past seven days, I know I carry great stock in this thread. That said, I hate to admit that I couldn't taste the difference in the two I drank... Perhaps my age hides the subtleties of the drink. Perhaps that I have only enjoyed a total of four glasses of absinthe is the answer. The one I purchase before any review of mine and later learned it was carried on the same menus with swill. The other is Pacifique, something of which I have read many good comments...

Therefore, what am i doing or not doing that permits folks to distinguish the good, the bad and the ugly?

Thanks.

I saw in a prior post of yours that you drank it at only 1 part absinthe to two parts water.

That is not enough water. Your tastes are numbed.

Absinthe is supposed to be a cool mellow long drink,

Next time try it at about four or five parts water, see how much more the flavors open up! :euro:

read:

http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/general-information-education-214/601-absinthe-dilution-matrix

Done... I will get after it in 47 seconds... Any good excuse... And this one seems like a fabulous reason... Thank you...

It seems to be a really true Absinthe comparatively. Great flavor and nose. Perfectly complex with the basic ingredients. Hard to find stateside.

I had to cheat and have a couple oz sent from the UK from a friend. I am still wondering where to find it here. I'm digging.

Blanche Traditionelle isn't sold in the US.You can get it here: http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Kallnacher_Swiss_absinthe.html

It was Strong68. I didn't mention it as I didn't want to start a conversation about how lousy this brand is compared to this brand, as it appears we begin a path down a well-trodden slippery slope. And I didn't want to see that ignition. In fact, I was really interested why my new Pacifique tasted much the same as the former.

Then again, my wife has always question my tastes in general... Except of course, in women...

Even with a ratio as low as 2:1, heck, even neat, there should be a big difference. I suspect as you drink more absinthe, you will notice the differences in a big way... Sometimes, it can take a few glasses over time for the more forward impressions to step back a bit.

Strong 68 is very bitter, using macerated wormwood. Though it has absinthe flavor, unlike many other faux absinthes, it is a punch in the mouth compared to any decent distiller absinthe. Perhaps if you prep them at 4:1, and compare, you'll see a big difference.

Again, over time, your palate will develop! Best of luck, and keep exploring.

Edited by Scott M.

I would join this fascinating conversation but I've only tried three brands... my sights are set on Atelier Vie's Toulouse Verte and Rouge when I have the funds... and I can't seem to locate Doubs Mystique available online anywhere - it all shows "out of stock". Is it still produced?

Actually... No... It wasn't bitter to me... Then again, I really enjoy vinegar and lemon juice drenching my plate... Also, perhaps I should put away the straw... Seriously, my palate could not differentiate much... But I will keep workings at it... Based on what I am reading from your comments, it doesn't appear I should be rating absinthe in the foreseeable future...

Not true.

Ratings should ideally represent the widest cross-section of opinions and palates available, so please don't let anything deter you from posting reviews, if your so inclined.

Yeah, I find that really puzzling. Rrce, do you smoke a lot of tobacco? Have a really bad sinus infection? Ate miracle berries before tasting the Strong68? I wonder what's contributing to your problems differentiating between the two...water:absinthe dilution ratio non-withstanding, you still should notice some difference (though I agree that you're severely underwatering).

I'm not exaggerating, and it's not because I have some magical palette, it's honestly like the difference between a week-old gas station tuna salad sandwich and a $400 sushi dinner.

To your question... I don't smoke. Never have.

If what you say is true, it would appear that I will be saving some money on expensive meals in future.

Activate the soft palate (better at detecting aromatic flavors) by closing your mouth and breathing through your nose. Try this after swallowing at first so you don't put a gulp of absinthe down your lungs.

Thanks, Evan, for your counsel... I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. At the end of the day, tastes are as they are. I do know that some folks will swear by Coke or Pepsi, or, this brand of scotch over that... I look forward to learning to discern the differences in absinthe on my own through my own experiences... Isn't it better that way anyway?

Again, thanks for you recommendations for tasting, drinking absinthe...

Just a question rrce.. do you drink beer and wine? If so can you tell the difference between the cheapest common denominator varity and the ones of top quality?

I thought commercial was a interesting term as pre-ban Pernod was "commercial" when it was produced. I assume then that it is "in production now" Absinthe.

I have somewhat limited experience so far, but I'll through my 2 cents in so far. Amazingly so I am going with the outlyer in my list for number 1. It is so different and so interesting and so warm and so it created more desire to go back then the rest. I am sure my order will change with time, but these have been the most interesting in that which is produced today so far. The Marteau especially is slowly growing on me. The Delaware's are so crisp and bright. Oh it's such a good time to be alive. :-)

1. Saint George Absinthe Verte (Alameda California USA)

2. Delaware Phoenix "Walton Waters" Absinthe Superieure

3. Delaware Phoenix "Meadow Of Love" Absinthe Superieure

4. Vieux Carré Absinthe Supérieure

5. Tenneyson Absinthe Royale

6. Pacifique Absinthe Verte Superieure

7. Blanche Traditionelle Absinthe Brut d' Alambic

8. Kübler Absinthe (It's just so clean and smooth and classic.. It's a good place to start)

9. Marteau Master's Reserve

10. Marteau Belle Époque

I can't wait to try # 9

Finally throwing in my 10 cents... absolutely no particular order (and likely to change as often as my mood):

• Roquette 1797
  • Vilya (Ridge) Verte
  • Authentique
  • Blanche Neige
  • Butterfly
  • Jade PF 1901
  • Leopold Bros.
  • L'Esprit d'Edouard
  • La Clandestine
  • Walton Waters