Absomphe

Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes

Like RMN, I take full responsibility...

But not the blame! :devil: ;)

Seriously, BK, the CO gauntlet has been thrown down...hard! :thumbup:

Okay, here's what I'm thinkin' right about now........

L'Italienne

Leopold

La Coquette

Doubs Mystique

Marteau

Belle Amie

Bdf

PF 1901

Eich

I dunno, that's about all I'm good for. In no particular order, of course..

And I am having a dilemma...

I liked Pacifique much as I liked L'Italienne and Walton Waters. Moreover, although kinda introductory and simple, Vieux Pontarlier would find its way to the list. I haven't decided yet, but Marteau would find its way as well. Hence, there is no other way and it must look so for the time being:

1. Pacifique/L'Italienne/Walton Waters

2. Leopold #14

3. Promethee #1

4. Helfrich verte

5. Marteau

6. Helfrich blanche

7. Belle Amie (taking into account the second edition as well)

8. Vieux Pontarlier

9. Martin 54

10.Angelique

I know it's tough to pick favorites, but that's what this thread is all about. If you can't do it, or you REALLY think that three tie for first, then your next pick should be number 4.

I've redone it for you:

Boggy's top 10

1. Pacifique/L'Italienne/Walton Waters

4. Leopold #14

5. Promethee #1

6. Helfrich verte

7. Marteau

8. Helfrich blanche

9. Belle Amie (taking into account the second edition as well)

10. Vieux Pontarlier

I know that we're tryin' to keep it at a strict 10, but I think Boggy's doing pretty good, considering.

I know when I had to list a strict 10, there were some really tough decisions to be made. As others have pointed out previously, the top 10 for a lot of people can vary by season or even day.

Reminds me of High Fidelity when someone asked the main character what were his top 5 records of all time. The guy loved music so much, he couldn't give a straight answer.

This is fun and entertaining exercise though, it's very interesting to see what people pick.

Boggy's list reminded me of this:

"There are only ten types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

OK, I'll play the bad geek .... this joke only works if you use "10" as opposed to "ten".

:cheers:

I know that we're tryin' to keep it at a strict 10, but I think Boggy's doing pretty good, considering.

Oh sure and I couldn't do much better. At this exact time and place, I could pick out my top 4 but anything beyond that would be a stretch. Maybe five. Maybe. I didn't mean to cast aspersions toward Boggy but just pointing out the 10 vs. 12 thing.

The other challenge is that there are an increasing number of very good absinthes at the $50-$65 range, and value begins to come into the picture. Don't get me wrong, I love Jade absinthe, but at twice the price of a very good verte alternative it becomes a difficult decision.

Even so, I always have a trouble pinning down top absinthe because it's such a moving target. Of course that's part of the wonderful nature of it, but it's a moving target. A 2-month old bottle of one thing may be better than a new bottle of another, while a new bottle of something may be better than another bottle no matter how long you age it. And that doesn't even take into account this rift of the perfumey direction versus the creamy direction. Who can say? The Arc de Triumphe may have one arch, but it has two legs to stand on, yes?

Yes it has.

But I notice it's not even in your top 10. :huh:

becuz I had yet to taste it. That egregious omission has since been*ahem* Rectified.

And as I recall that wasn't even 10 in that list, so maybe Pacifique was like Zap Comix #0. If you know what I'm sayin'...

Sooooooo.............heres today's list.

Pacifique

Marteau

Leopold

L'italienne

La Coquette

Belle Amie 2

Doubs Mystique

BdF

Blanche Traditionelle essai #4

Blanche Traditionelle #3

....in that approximate order, anyway. That's the order I'd put 'em in if they were all here in front of me. Wait a minute, they all are. Whatever.........you know.

You know, the funny thing is, I originally intended to get on this thread and just leave a quick cheap shot about y'all being a bunch of nitpicky drunks who just can't leave it be, and then, well.....it happened again, and here I am. :paperbag3:

Also what our self-defrocked Doctor said about the price point thing. That I can walk a few blocks from work and for 80 bucks get something as good as what I paid 110 for from overseas is a no-brainer. That it can be had for less than 70 is fucking fantastic. (even if you have to drive a half hour and raid one particular store!) When I first realized the domestic product was on the level, I was thrilled but getting a bottle of Sirene turned out to be the biggest hassle I went through to get a bottle, of any brand!

It ain't about bein' a Jade Hater, those guys are arseholes who need to get off their humps. It's about Reality, and its simultaneous Attainment by those who seek it with a true Heart. :worshippy:

Well, I've been thinking a lot about what I've been enjoying, what I consider a "go-to" when I want a good pick-me-up, and here's what I have currently:

1. Marteau

2. Pacifique

3. Jade PF1901

4. Vieux Pontarlier

5. Clandestine La Bleue

6. Roquette 1797

I think demanding 10 actual "top tens" only can be done if you have 10 that you consider totally top-of-the-crop products. But I don't think I've found 10 that are at that point according to my particular palate. Certainly I've tried more than 10 - heck, I have 22 CO's open on my shelf right now. But the vast majority of the others are idiosyncratic enough each in their own way that I don't think they make the cut. And I'm not going to pad my list just because I went through hell and high cost to acquire them!

I agree with. I've tried far less than most, but so far I wouldn't just put say, Maitresse as number 10 simply to fill a list of ten. In that regard here's my "list" so far:

1. Vieux Pontarlier

2. Eichelberger 78 verte

3. Obsello

4. Kübler

Leaving out Lucid, Maitresse, and Pernod because they will never make my top ten at any point. Of this I'm fairly certain!

It's about Reality

Reality sucks, Dude.

I knew I'd hear that from someone as soon as I hit that Add Reply button.

But that's not real reality, it is in fact a fake reality, a wrathful apparition easily avoided. :puke:

I think demanding 10 actual "top tens" only can be done if you have 10 that you consider totally top-of-the-crop products.

I understand what you mean, Ken--but I always saw the point behind the thread as being to rank your top 10 COs in terms of your current preference, based on what you've tasted. I don't see anything wrong with someone who's had only 10 COs (and who knows that some of them will likely compare unfavorably to those they have yet to try) listing those COs in some order as their top 10. These lists are always open to revision as time goes on (as is clear from the way the thread as evolved). I personally find it interesting to see how people's tastes change over time. And I made my list knowing full well that some of the COs would fall off in the coming months as I tried more (I even listed in my post some of the COs that would probably find a place in my top 10 once I tried them, based on what I'd read). Otherwise, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable listing my top 10 until I tried every CO out there--an impossibility on my budget, unfortunately!

Not to say your approach is wrong or anything--to each his own top 10. I just don't want anyone who's had 10 COs, but not 10 "top-of-the-crop" COs, to feel as though they shouldn't bother listing their preferences.