Absomphe

Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes

I was compliling the data for each brand and where it ranked and how many votes it's received but you UPDATERS every other post make me wanna scream by page 4. Time for some absinthe I think before my head explodes. It was looking like this

numbers are where it ranked, how many numbers is times it was ranked.

Belle Amie 111211241*41

Jade PF 1901 112261311322292241164

Roquette 1797 634442433732*5

Jade Edouard 153638912359527351126

Duplais Balance *645**367615

Duplais Blanche 46

Marteau 3774874*877

Duplais Verte 588549442

Jade Verte Suisse 89*3579364453*7

Eichelberger 7246**56843

Jade Nouvelle Orleans 4*9729428432913867

Blanchette 6692839555

La Clandestine Originale 9657

Brevans 36783

Clandestine Recette Marianne 4

Montmartre 8779

Doubs Mystique 991521242

Lemercier 45 9

St. George 38

La Ptite *345

BdF 69

EdPdF 9

La Matriesse 3

La Clandestine Charlotte 5

Ike Verte 68 51

Kübler 53 *8*76**8

Verte de Fougerolles 728869216

Duplais 358

Lucid 7899

Mansinthe *74

L'Italienne 1

CCC 8

Un Emile 68 *

Helfrich blanche 2

Alandia Epoque 5

Brut d’alambic *99

Helfrich verte 6753

Twin Tech 8

Taboo *

Sirène 7

ClB *1

absinthe noël 2007 1

[hg] 6

Edited by hdtv00

Yeah but do those little marks actually mean anything? ;)

It's like driving on snowy roads: Everyone else drives either too fast or too slow. I'm the only one that drives the perfect speed. :cheers:

Well Im a big fan of IPAs (Bridgeport) so it sounds like Monty will be right down my alley.

I absolutely LOVE Bridgeport IPA. It helps that I can drive right down to the brewery and taste it fresh off the cask-conditioned tap...

But my first taste of Montmartre was anti-climactic. Perhaps I just need to let it air a bit (it is an absolutely new bottle), but it tasted plasticky and too damn bitter for me to enjoy even a little bit. Adding sugar didn't seem to help at all, either.

I'll give it two weeks and revisit the bottle, but I am beginning to appreciate the many commenters that have said that it's a love-it-or-hate-it absinthe.

I was compliling the data for each brand and where it ranked and how many votes it's received but you UPDATERS every other post make me wanna scream by page 4. Time for some absinthe I think before my head explodes. It was looking like this:

(BALANCE OF POST CLIPPED)

So, given what you've compiled here, hdtv00, we might begin to draw a few conclusions:

1) Absinthes that have more individual ratings are more popular and regarded generally more highly than those having fewer individual ratings;

2) For absinthes with an identical number of individual ratings, the average (mode? mean? I've never taken "sadistics") of the scores will give an indicator of relative ranking - a lower average is better.

This all has relevance for our WS Review Module - absinthes with multiple reviews will give a better indication of the relative quality of the product. An absinthe with just one or two reviews, no matter how highly the reviewers score it, will be more difficult to get an accurate "sensus populum" (the judgment of the people), because there's not a wide enough analysis of the product. (Even an "expert review" is still just the opinion of one person, albeit a person with enough experience to pass a more useful judgment on the product in relation to other products.)

What does this mean for all of us?

SUBMIT SOME REVIEWS, FRIENDS!

i updated the list so i can go back to it and finish. I guess lots of numbers means a drinks popularity and the number themselves mean quality. I guess I was super bored last night.

Nice work!

I reckon I've just never been that bored. *smile*

Your system is much better than the "sink it or drink it" system. *devil grin*

Cheers!

I guess lots of numbers means a drinks popularity

Not just popularity, but how easily acquired they are. I'm certain that if more people were able to try L'Artisanale & Belle Amie they would make more people's lists.

Today, it's:

Jade PF 1901 (by a nudge)

Belle Amie 2.0

La Coquette (my number 2 and 3 are a coin flip)

Jade Edouard

Roquette

Jade VS

Doubs Mystique

Marteau

L’Italienne

Jade NO

I'm certain that if more people were able to try Belle Amie they would make more people's lists.

Not the first edition for everyone. But I have a very open mind regarding the 2nd coming and I hope to fall in love.

I think that you'll enjoy the second edition of the Belle Amie, Joe. I also sincerely hope that after experiencing it, that you and Jules will feel encouRIDGEd by future offerings. ;)

:laugh: Cute.

Seriously, I hope you're right. I'm excited to give it a try. I know the first version was well-made but it just didn't do it for me. Sometimes, that happens.

I like them both quite a bit, but I happen to think this batch is a regression. That wonderful aroma from batch 1 was lost in translation somehow.

Somehow, I don't think that will be lost on Joe, despite the somewhat thicker louche and mouthfeel.

Oh well, there's always version 3.0 to look forward to, right, dude? :laugh:

Where there is life, hope springs eternal. Should I happen to not care for this one, I'll look forward to version 3. I have no preconceptions with the second and I'm anxiously waiting to sample it. :cheers:

Gotta stay current:

1. Belle Amie #1

2. Jade Nouvelle-Orleans

3. L'Italienne

4. La Coquette

5. Belle Amie #2

6. Marteau (Matter)

7. Roquette 1797

8. Vieux Carre

9. Jade Edouard

10. Verte de Fougerolles

I think I might be guilty of over-rating the brands I've most recently had, because it's so fresh in the mind. For instance I wonder if #5 would still be #5 if I revisited 6 and 7 again? Or then again, would #8 surpass them both if I did?

Anyhow, I'm sticking with this, for now...

To say nothing of the addition of Pacifique.

Odds are very good, 4 of my top ten will be from America when Pacifique becomes available.

In no particular order except for the first two:

Marteau

Eddy

NO

CLB

Leopold

VC

Blanchette

Duplais (Verte or Balance? I dunno)

Ike

I'm guessing one will have to go when Zman opens the gates. But which one? That will be tough!

I don't even want to think about the 2nd "ten." There are so many very drinkable brands of absinthe.

I like a blanche but it seems I drink more of them in warner weather. We'll see how the top 10 change this summer. *smile*

Thhhh-the-thh-th-that's all folks?

As of 7:46pm (2/24/09), it's:

Jade PF 1901 (by a nudge)

La Coquette

Belle Amie 2.0

Jade Edouard

Jade VS

Marteau

Roquette

L’Italienne

Doubs Mystique

Vieux Carre

I'm guessing one will have to go when Zman opens the gates. But which one? That will be tough!

Yes, I have the feeling that once Pacifique & Walton Waters are available the Eddie & VdF will be goners. Then again, as they say in sports, "that's why they play the games".

Haven't done this yet, and with Zman's new product on the market now, this seemed like a good time. Entries under each category are in no particular order.

Good:

Nouveau Orleans

Taboo

Better:

Belle Amie v2

Verte Suisse

Best:

PF 1901

Marteau

Pacifique

Edouard

My revised list...

1) Pacifique

2) L'Italienne

3) Doubs Mystique

4) Leopold's

5) Jade PF 1901

6) Belle Amie

7) Jade Edouard

8) La Roquette

9) Clandestine La Bleue

10) Jade Verte Suisse

Absomphe I blame you with my obsession with finding a bottle of Pacifique. I find that my top ten contains many of the same brands and seeing it as number one is impressive.