• Please log in to reply
644 replies to this topic

#61 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

Ike is one of my fav's! In fact, I need to get another bottle.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#62 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

I am eagerly waiting for an opening so I can drive down to the candy store distillery. I like Ike. I like the new open borders.

#63 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

Even with only 9 under my belt, I found it hard to chose-

1. Jade Edouard
2. Jade PF1901
3. Roquette 1797
4. Duplais Verte
5. Jade Verte Suisse
6. Kübler 53
7. Brevans HR Giger
8. Lucid
9. Blanchette

I'm finding that I am a big Jade Ed. fan, and that it easily makes #1 for me. I love what seems to be a perfect dichotomy of balance and complexity; bold alpine spiciness and at the same time a thick, smooth mouth feel. Probably one of my favorite beverages of any kind that I have ever tried. My favorite description from someone else's review on LFV is "multi dimensional"!

2 through 6 are tough to rank in precise order, however, and I guess it would depend on my mood. I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about ranking Lucid higher either. Some days I seem to get quite a lot out of the taste, but some days it seems a bit flat with the peppery notes trying to cover over for the other herbs.

It's really interesting to see everyone else's favorites and it's giving me some ideas for things to try in the future.

Edited by Green Baron, 12 February 2008 - 09:37 PM.

This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#64 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

1. Jade Edouard
2. VdF
3. La Matriesse
4. PF 1901
5. Clandestine
6. BdF
7. Marteau
8. NO
9. EdPdF
10.Kübler

This will no doubt change before the week, month, year is out. Too bad it's only for commercials.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#65 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

baubel, you're far more eclectic than I even dared to think you are. Gee, I could even grow fond of you. (Of course, then I'd be tempted to dissolve you and make a gravy out of you, so forgive me.)

#66 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

I'm guessing here but I wonder how much your list would have changed if you had included the top 5 in point gathering instead of just the top three? Or hell, awarded points for anything in the top ten?

One other minor point, I think the numbers are a little screwy since your award system makes the number one three-times better (point-wise) than the number three. I suspect most of us labored over what went into the top three and none of us (I'm speculating) would say our top pick was three times better than our third pick.

So.....I collated a new poll based on a 5-pt scoring system, with no. 1 pick getting 5 pts and so on, with no. 5 pick getting 1 pt. Picks that were 6th or worse on peoples' lists got ignored. The poll includes every list up to my post today. Here are the results:

1) Jade PF1901 (67 pts)
2) Jade Edouard (48 pts)
3) Bell Amie (40 pts)
4) Jade NO (36 pts)
5) Roquette 1797 (24 pts)
6) Doubs Mystique (19 pts)
7) Jade VS (14 pts)
8) Duplais Balance (13 pts)
9) Duplais Verte (12 pts)
10) Marteau Verte, Eichelberger (10 pts)
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#67 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:57 AM

Your work is commendable but the points are still screwy. Instead of adding points, you need to figure out how to average points. I doubt there is anyone here that would suggest the #1 selection is over six times better or even six times more preferred than the #10 selection.

#68 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:17 AM

baubel, you're far more eclectic than I even dared to think you are. Gee, I could even grow fond of you. (Of course, then I'd be tempted to dissolve you and make a gravy out of you, so forgive me.)

Mmm, Gravy. Actually you could just pour hot water on me.

#69 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

Your work is commendable but the points are still screwy. Instead of adding points, you need to figure out how to average points. I doubt there is anyone here that would suggest the #1 selection is over six times better or even six times more preferred than the #10 selection.

That's not really what the numbers mean. A score of 67 doesn't mean 6.7 times more preferred than a score of 10. In fact you don't even have to look at the numbers, I just provided them for curiosity's sake. And if I average them, an absinthe with two ratings of 5 could beat out an absinthe with 10 ratings, 5 of 5, and 5 of 4.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns

#70 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

I understand what you mean and why you went to the trouble. It is commendable. I'm suggesting the numbers are misleading.

You wouldn't average all the numbers together but would establish an average score which strangely enough has already been done in the absinthe review section of WS. Even there we can see problems in numbers:
with only a few reviews, an absinthe can be rated very highly or very poorly based on one extreme rating.

I like what you've done. Just pointing out the numbers and ranking are screwy.

#71 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

Plus, not everyone has tried the same 10; or tried 30 to find their favorite 10.

#72 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

[Mmm, Gravy. Actually you could just pour hot water on me.

Wine is so much more flavorful for turning fond into gravy.

#73 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

But, with regard to meaty's little poll there, it is interesting to me that, in general, the ones at the top seem to be the most well-thought of and the ones lower down do seem to be "second tier" even as far as things like pricing go. So, in other words, it's shaping up to be an ok guide, at least to those of us that have already had a few.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#74 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

Plus, not everyone has tried the same 10; or tried 30 to find their favorite 10.

That's not the point. What's he's doing is a weighted ranking. The individual numbers have less meaning than where they end up placing the different brands. And I think it's pretty accurate in describing overall what absinthes are recommended and where they fall relative to one another.

What absinthes on that list were available 5 years ago?

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#75 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

Dakini, I think the review system shows a much more accurate picture than a tally of points even though the ranking doesn't change that much. The points create an illusion of rating. Consider the difference between #1 & #3: Points would indicate a significant difference between PF1901 and Belle Amie while the average indicates they are actually very close in both rating and ranking.

Point ranking followed by WS Review Score
1) Jade PF1901 (67 pts) 4.7
2) Jade Edouard (48 pts) 4.6
3) Bell Amie (40 pts) 4.5
4) Jade NO (36 pts) 4.1
5) Roquette 1797 (24 pts) 4.6
6) Doubs Mystique (19 pts) 4.4
7) Jade VS (14 pts) 4.3
8) Duplais Balance (13 pts) 4.4
9) Duplais Verte (12 pts) 3.5
10) Marteau Verte, Eichelberger (10 pts) 4.4/4.2

#76 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Dakini, I think the review system shows a much more accurate picture than a tally of points even though the ranking doesn't change that much. The points create an illusion of rating. Consider the difference between #1 & #3: Points would indicate a significant difference between PF1901 and Belle Amie while the average indicates they are actually very close in both rating and ranking.

Point ranking followed by WS Review Score
1) Jade PF1901 (67 pts) 4.7
2) Jade Edouard (48 pts) 4.6
3) Bell Amie (40 pts) 4.5
4) Jade NO (36 pts) 4.1
5) Roquette 1797 (24 pts) 4.6
6) Doubs Mystique (19 pts) 4.4
7) Jade VS (14 pts) 4.3
8) Duplais Balance (13 pts) 4.4
9) Duplais Verte (12 pts) 3.5
10) Marteau Verte, Eichelberger (10 pts) 4.4/4.2

As I said, you really need to forget about the numbers. The numbers mean very little except to place specific brands into #1, #4, etc. The problem with averaging numbers is exactly what you already brought up. It can become extremely misleading when only a couple people give a nasty absinthe a perfect review and then get that compared to a good quality absinthe that doesn't get exactly perfect reviews, but dozens of people like it and rate it highly. With the system in place at WWS, what I end up having to do is look at how many reviews a (e.g.) 4.6 rating resulted from, and who reviewed them, to see if I trust their review. This puts a very highly subjective element into the interpretation of the review. Say if there were only 1 review for KOSG and the guy is a czechsinth fetishist and gives it all 5's, does that make it better than Pernod Fils 1914??? A weighted scoring system tends to dilute out queer oddball reviews as well as give a nod to how many people actually ranked this absinthe highly. With averages, there is absolutely no way to factor in how many people like this absinthe, and a high probability of very skewed reviews if the absinthe doesn't have alot of reviews to smooth out the average.

#77 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

It's too bad we don't have a pie chart for all these numbers.

PB- Wine is better, no doubt, but I was referring to Gravy Train.

#78 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

You dog, stop drinking the Scumi stuff and add a little heat, my man, you'll be baskin' in the gravy. Maybe even get a little a pie, on the side. Know what I mean?

#79 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

Mmmmm, pie. Is it just my imagination or is Meat really caught up in those numbers? Learn to work with them. Numbers are our friends. :twitchsmile:

#80 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

I also have a Masters degree in epidemiology, so I used to be a professional number-cruncher.....for half a year. Then I went to med school, and that's all she wrote. ;)

#81 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

It's too bad we don't have a pie chart for all these numbers.

It's too bad we don't have a more formal ratings system which ranks absinthes on a scale of 1-5, and can be sorted by highest ratings.

Oh wait...
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#82 Timothy B.

Timothy B.

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

It's too bad it took me almost half a minute to see the final two words of your post.

Closer to being on topic, I'd like to thank everyone who posted their favourites. It's been interesting reading.

It's too bad we don't have a more formal ratings system which raks absinthes

Wouldn't that count as torturing the data?

-- T

#83 hyperlunch

hyperlunch

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

I've only had 11 absinthes, but I'm happy to rank the top 10! :heart:

1. PF 1901
2. Edouard
3. VS
4. Belle Amie
5. Combier Blanchette
6. NO
7. Marteau
8. Duplais (not the Balance)
9. Lucid
10. Kübler 53

Bonus listing -- least favorite: Montmartre
I am a man of louche morals.

#84 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

As I said, you really need to forget about the numbers. The numbers mean very little except to place specific brands into #1, #4, etc.

I understand your point here, that what you present isn't where the absinthes fall on an objective scale, but rather relative only to one another.

With the system in place at WWS, what I end up having to do is look at how many reviews a (e.g.) 4.6 rating resulted from, and who reviewed them, to see if I trust their review. This puts a very highly subjective element into the interpretation of the review.

This is true of all reviews. The critical factor is determining an agreed-upon set of criteria and how valuable those criteria are relative to one another, when creating the system. If a reviewer understands how the system works and applies it properly, you get an accurate but subjective view of how well that reviewer believes the absinthe to by that criteria.

If the reviewer doesn't understand the system and rates the absinthe according to how well they like it compared to another, you get a distorted view.

Say if there were only 1 review for KOSG and the guy is a czechsinth fetishist and gives it all 5's, does that make it better than Pernod Fils 1914??? A weighted scoring system tends to dilute out queer oddball reviews as well as give a nod to how many people actually ranked this absinthe highly.

The WS System is weighted. The weights are built into the software:

The scores here are weighted so that more important criteria, such as taste, have a stronger impact on the final score than less important ones like say, aroma. That is to say that a five-point rating on flavor is heavier than a five-point rating on louche.For those interested in the mathmatics, these are the percentages used:

Color 16%
Louche 16%
Aroma 18%
Flavor 20%
Finish 10%
Overall 20%
Total 100%

In this way the general taste and flavor of the absinthe, clearly the most important criteria, are broken into flavor and finish, sharing 30% of the total score. These along with overall impression account for 50% of the score, leaving the remaining three criteria to share the other 50%, with aroma being the more important of the three.

With averages, there is absolutely no way to factor in how many people like this absinthe, and a high probability of very skewed reviews if the absinthe doesn't have alot of reviews to smooth out the average.

There's no way around this that I'm aware of. The reviews will only become more meaningful as they accumulate. In the end, this is only a subjective guide to popular absinthes, not a definitive rating. For that, you need a panel of experts, or at least people who really know absinthe, doing blind tastings.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#85 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

Say if there were only 1 review for KOSG and the guy is a czechsinth fetishist and gives it all 5's, does that make it better than Pernod Fils 1914??? A weighted scoring system tends to dilute out queer oddball reviews as well as give a nod to how many people actually ranked this absinthe highly.

The WS System is weighted. The weights are built into the software.

On that same note, seeing KOSG rated all 5's would raise red flags, not only because it's tough to give ANYTHING all 5's, but also because anyone who knows both the product and the ratings system would know that the reviewer wasn't using the system correctly.

For that, you need a panel of experts, or at least people who really know absinthe, doing blind tastings.

Stay tuned...
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#86 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

A long time ago a few of us did a blind blanche tasting. One person took the fountain into another room and louched up a bunch of blanches both CO and HG. Many of the results were what you would expect, but not all. I remember being surprised at how well some of the commercials fared. I don't remember much else.

:drunk:
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#87 Misanthrope

Misanthrope

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

To paraphrase Ron Jeffries,

A really great absinthe is going to be different for every individual, and not only every individual, but every moment of your day and every day of your life because there are so many different flavors out there within different absinthes that go with so many different foods or different weather.

:cool-reaper:
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#88 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

Okeydoke, I know it is in all likelihood gonna be different tomorrow, here are my top 10 as of now:

1. PF 1901

2. Roquette 1797

3. Eichelberger Verte 68

4. Doubs Mystique

5. Combier Blanchette

6. Jade Edouard

7. Jade NO

8. Brevans

9. Blanche Traditionelle Brut d'alambic Essai #3 (still have half a bottle)

10. Jade Verte Suisse
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#89 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

I think I'm going to wait to blow my load of my top ten until I've tried all the major offerings at LDF and a few at absinthe.de. This will be followed by an orgy of absinthe reviews. I think I already have a ménage à trois of favorites though (so far). :devil:

#90 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:07 AM

That's what I'm doing. ;)

Try them all and go from there.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association