649 replies to this topic

#31 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

Something tells me it won't end up on Chris's list, but we'll see. :devil:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#32 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

I enjoy Mystique, but am surprised that it made it that high on Abby's list. I also think that if I do a side by side comparison of my top 10, it would probably score higher than 9. So, I guess for me it falls somewhere between 2 and 9.

Regardless, the standards for absinthe nowadays has gotten so high, that I think the top ten are so close, that they could even change places just based on individual batches.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#33 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

My top 4 is undoubtedly:

1. Belle Amie

2. Jade Nouvelle-Orleans

T3. 1797 Roquette

T3. Marteau

I thought I preferred the Marteau, then I had another glass of 1797 and thought "no, I like this better"... until my next glass of Marteau. I decided ultimately that I preferred which ever one I was drinking at that moment.

After that it's a crap-shoot, and it's been so long since I've had a few that I don't think I could list them accurately. The Blanchette may just creep in there at #5.
Porkchops are good

#34 MTgrayling

MTgrayling

Thymallus arcticus viridius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

1: Ike 68
2: PF 1901
3: Verte Suisse
4: Duplais Blanche
5: Duplais Verte
6: Helfrich
7: Duplais Balance
8: NO
9: Eddie
10: Kübler 53

It looks like I should find some Bel Amie and Marteau
I had my taste buds amputated many years ago after an unfortunate toothbrush accident, any reviews or opinions I give are suspect and should be viewed as utterly useless.

Jeremy Bentham, the Pieta, and a Precious Few Grayling ; by David Quammen

#35 Mindshifter

Mindshifter

Headspace clearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

1) Doubs Mystique
2) PF 1901
3) Roquette 1797
4) Absinthe Nouvelle-Orléans
5) Absinthe Edouard
6) Duplais Balance
7) Absinthe Helfrich
8) Blanchette
9) Blanche Traditionelle (brut d'alambic)
10) Eichelberger

Not the easiest to compile a list like this. Some rankings in the top area are somewhat interchangeable, I think.
And there are still a couple of quality absinthes that I haven't tried yet, that I'm sure would rank very high too.

The Jades have got some serious competition in the new brands from Les fils d'Emile Pernot – I was really floored when I first tasted the Doubs Mystique! I must lift my hat. The anise has a quality which I must say is the closest to [a particular] pre-ban I've experienced this far, and that goes for Roquette as well. I'm not saying it is exactly the same, but my nose detects that highly appreciated, characteristic butterscotch aroma in the smell in both of them. That particular nuance is lacking in the Jades, however well-crafted and harmoniously balanced I really consider them when it comes to other qualities on the whole.
It's great to see the development of modern absinthes these days!
The absinthe extends life, the absinthe expands consciousness, the absinthe is vital to space travel.

#36 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

Something tells me it won't end up on Chris's list

You are very correct. ;)
"This is their busted future, and this is our dreams."

#37 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,635 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

I was really floored when I first tasted the Doubs Mystique! I must lift my hat. The anise has a quality which I must say is the closest to [a particular] pre-ban I've experienced.

To me, all of the herbs in the Mystique smack of really high quality, and the overall impression I get is of a Besançon style, but with an overlayed tonic-like quality.

When I first tasted it, I was also floored, but my second tasting left me craving more from the other herbs supporting that marvelous wormwood. However, upon revisiting it a few more times, I find those herbs are more bright than I thought, and the mouthfeel, which I had felt was a bit thin, is actually ideal for this absinthe, and, while not approaching the 1901, has its own kind of luxuriousness.

#38 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

I definitely undertand that I am in the minority on this but...

I think the louche is too weak and the mouthfeel is anything but ideal.

#39 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,635 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

And what is your opinion of the Roquette's louche?

I'm curious, because you commented on the Roquette not having the "muskiness" of the Doubs, and I got the feeling it appealed to you more all around.

#40 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

I think the louche is too weak and the mouthfeel is anything but ideal.

Those are not qualities that would hurt my opinion all that much if the absinthe is otherwise fantastic.

I need to revisit Mr.Defo's bottle of Doubs Mystique now that it's been open for a while. Last I tried it was the day he opened it.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#41 Chris

Chris

• PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

I do like the Roquette much better but the louche and mouth feel are not good, definitely worse than the Mystique.

As my preferences go a thick mouthfeel and louche are very important to making an absinthe that I will like.

#42 Mindshifter

Mindshifter

Headspace clearing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

To me, all of the herbs in the Mystique smack of really high quality, and the overall impression I get is of a Besançon style

Agreed. The wormwood is just excellent.

As for the louche, the Roquette has a thin louche, yes. Yet, with ice-water and a really slow drip it's not Un Emile thin, though; I have no problem with it. Like peridot pointed out – in this case there are indeed other qualities that makes it fantastic. I'm not going to say despite the thin louch, since I don't think a good absinthe must necessarily have this super dense, opaque louche to get the best marks. And mouthfeel is not automatically associated with the louche either, in all cases.
The absinthe extends life, the absinthe expands consciousness, the absinthe is vital to space travel.

#43 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,635 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:00 PM

I don't think a good absinthe must necessarily have this super dense, opaque louche to get the best marks. And mouthfeel is not automatically associated with the louche either, in all cases.

Agreed, and agreed.

The Edouard Pernod I sampled didn't really have such a thick, and opaque louche, (although it was spetacular in the formation aspect) but if you tasted it blindfolded, you couldn't tell that from the mouthfeel, which was decadent.

#44 TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Considering I've only had 11 brands of absinthe (not including the 3 "czechsinths" from my less informed intro) this shouldn't be too hard to list my top 10 thus far.

1. Duplais Balance
2. Jade Edouard
3. Jade New Orleans
4. Duplais Verte
5. Eichelberger
6. Jade Verte Suisse
7. Kübler 53
9. Verte de Fougerolles
10. Mansinthe

The 11th was Clandestine la Bleu, but I didn't care too much for it.
I'm sure I'll be adding Lucid and St George soon enough, and perhaps even another "czechsinth"; my friend bought a bottle of Hill's for 10 bucks in a train station when she was in the Czech Republic.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, thus absinthe makes the wallet squander.

#45 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

What train station? That sounds way too cheap, especially with the current exchange rate (the Czech Crown is out-pacing the Euro). Not that I'm in the market or anything, but even here Hill's is among the more expensive oil-mixes.

Now, I guess I need to take a crack at this exercise, even though it's first thing in the morning and my head's not really oriented towards 10 different absinthes at this hour (I know, what the hell's amatter with me?).

1. Belle Ami
2. Nouvelle Orleans
3. Blanchette
4. Verte Suisse
5. Helfrich
6. Eichelberger
7. Eduard
8. Twin Tech
9. Duplais Verte
10. ClB

But don't hold me to it. It's fluid, you know.

#46 fryke

fryke

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:43 AM

1. absinthe noël 2007 (although it was a ltd. edition, so I'm not sure if that's okay for the list, it is, however, still commercially available at Matter-Luginbühl's)
2. PF 1901
3. Edouard
4. Duplais Verte
5. Duplais Balance
6. Brevans
7. Mansinthe
8. Eichelberger
9. Nouvelle Orléans
10. Marteau

Edited by fryke, 03 January 2008 - 02:44 AM.

#47 TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

What train station? That sounds way too cheap, especially with the current exchange rate (the Czech Crown is out-pacing the Euro). Not that I'm in the market or anything, but even here Hill's is among the more expensive oil-mixes.

Are you sure? I just went to xe.com and was informed that $10 is equal to 177 czech koruny (crowns). Regardless, I cringed when she told me she picked up a bottle of absinthe while over there. My suspisions were validated when she showed me the small bottle of Hill's. It really does look like mouthwash.

I really should try it though, if only to see what all the :puke: is about.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, thus absinthe makes the wallet squander.

#48 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

My suspisions were validated when she showed me the small bottle of Hill's. It really does look like mouthwash.

I really should try it though, if only to see what all the [nausea] is about.

Yeah, I guess, maybe a small sample bottle might go for that. I was thinking bigger. Anyway, you should try it. There's far, far, faaaar worse out there. You'll appreciate some of the wider discussion of assbinth if you've actually tasted one of the less of the leastest.

#49 salsa

salsa

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Woah, tough calls...

Jade Nouvelle Orleans
Doub's Mystique
La P'Tite <-- so underrated!!!
Jade Verte Suisse
Jade Edouard
[hg]
Roquette 1797
Marteau
Jade PF1901
Belle Amie

#50 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

[hg] isn't a commercial brand ;)

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#51 salsa

salsa

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

Too late to edit. I was thinking of the ten I like best...

:cheers:

#52 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

No worries. I'm just in a chops-busting mood tonight. :tongue:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#53 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,635 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

Horrible Guy isn't a commercial brand?

When did it fold? :tongue: :laugh:

#54 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

I'm not sure I could come up with 10. I mean, I know I have had way more then 10, but it has been so long since I have had more then 3-4 commercials, I'd be a biased and inaccurate judge.

My 4 favs though?

CLB
PF 1901
NO
Eich

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#55 fredfry

fredfry

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Considering I've only had 11 brands of absinthe (not including the 3 "czechsinths" from my less informed intro) this shouldn't be too hard to list my top 10 thus far.

1. Duplais Balance
2. Jade Edouard
3. Jade New Orleans
4. Duplais Verte

I've noticed that you have a special affinity for Duplais Balance, I have read past posts of yours and that you have spoken highly of it consistently. The reason I bring this up is because Balance was my first Absinthe, my first purchased and first tasted. :cheers: Grate minds think alike!

#56 Z_for_Zendetta

Z_for_Zendetta

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

For the benefit of anyone hoping to draw some conclusions from this thread -

It took about 5 minutes to add up the lists. I gave 3 pts for every 1st place pick, 2 pts for every 2nd place, and 1 pt for being in somebody's top 3 list, and this is the "forum-wide top list" I came up with -

1. Jade PF 1901
2. Belle Amie
3. Jade Edouard
4. Doubs Mystique
5. Jade Nouvelle-Orleans
6. Duplais Balance
7. Roquette 1797

6 out of the top 7 come from just two distilleries - Combier/Jade Liqueurs (Saumur) and Pernot (Pontarlier)

#57 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

Nice work. I wonder how this would compare with similar polls we've done in the past. Will Balance or Roquette 1797 be in that list in a year? I'm not casting aspersions at either (I like Balance and haven't tried Roquette 1797) but suggesting there could be other factors skewing your results. New kids are frequently popular and haven't stood the test of time. Balance is a good absinthe but much more affordable so it has probably been sampled by many more members than say the Jade Verte Suisse. I'm guessing here but I wonder how much your list would have changed if you had included the top 5 in point gathering instead of just the top three? Or hell, awarded points for anything in the top ten?

One other minor point, I think the numbers are a little screwy since your award system makes the number one three-times better (point-wise) than the number three. I suspect most of us labored over what went into the top three and none of us (I'm speculating) would say our top pick was three times better than our third pick.

Nice work and it's interesting but potentially misleading.

Now, can I encourage you to head over to the Newcomer section and introduce yourself to everyone? :cheers:

#58 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,825 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

No one mentions the Eich anymore. We used to all like Ike. Now it's just dumped by the wayside. Sad.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#59 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

Kinda of my point, Dakini. A very quick scan of everyone that picked ten, I counted 12 out of 16 that put Eich on their list. Z_for_Zendetta's work is interesting but it leaves too much out to be definitive.

Remember: Eich is good and it's good for you! :cheers:

#60 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

I most definitely like Ike. :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association