Sign in to follow this  
JJBlanche

Ordering from Overseas...

I know this has probably been beaten to death elsewhere, but I just want to clarify.

A friend of a friend (and I actually mean that, not in the nod-nod wink way) ordered a bottle of Balance from LDF a while back, and let me try it. I, of course, loved it. I had wanted to order some of my own, but didn't want to be prosecuted.

Thus, I'm wondering, has anyone ever been prosecuted for ordering from overseas? From everything I gather, it's about as easy and safe as ordering any other product from Europe, but I don't want Special Agent Hardass knocking on my door with a pair of cuffs in his hand. I'm a pretty upstanding citizen, all things considered.

I have ordered many, many times from the WS list of selected vendors. I have never had a problem. The absolute worse thing that could happen is if your order was confiscated (you would not be charged) but not only has it never happened to me, I don't know anyone that has had an order confiscated.

Ditto. They didn't even confiscate an order that Doyle placed, even though it had shattered, and a hazmat guy delivered the strong smelling, dripping, soaked package to his doorstep. That's not a joke either.

LdF guarantees delivery or will re-ship or refund the order:

http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/faq.html

You will get your order from them, not to fear!

:thumbup:

What were you thinking of ordering?

Belle Amie, Balance, the two Fougerolles samples, and a glass/dripper.

I'm not worried whether or not I get the order...well, I am, but I'm more concerned about criminal charges.

That's a state thing, not federal. Find out what your state's laws are regarding importing liquor. It'll be the same whether you're importing from overseas or from the next state over. If it's illegal in your state and you're really paranoid there's usually something you can do to pay your taxes on it and make it legit. Like in Alabama I can have anything I want sent to the ABC store, pay the taxes on it, and take it home.

I don't see why not.

I haven't tried because it's an enormous pain in the ass (you have to fill out a form for each bottle I think). Some absinthes are approved for sale in the US, and it's not like they're going to check a list.

I noticed the fact that we're not allowed to import beverages unless it's approved and goes through the ABC store.

hmmm...

Why bother making you go through the trouble when it's a lot easier just to not do it?

Oh well...

:blink:

Well, I don't know about approval. From what I understand you don't even tell ABC until after you buy the booze. You give them forms for each item, it shows up, and then you pay your taxes and go. Any liquor you order from an out-of-state vendor is supposed to go through this process.

I have a secondary question on this topic..

From reading this board, it seems like there was a lot of talk about flying monkeys and whatnot doing deliveries from abroad. I was also under the impression from reading here and on the main site that alcohol should not be sent in the US mail. I guess I am now a little confused as to why my order is coming through the USPS. Should I be concerned? It said "courier" when I ordered, so this was a bit of a surprise.