Sign in to follow this  
cocktailchronicles

"Absinthe Not Cool Anymore"

I'm guessing it was something closer to a whiny emo underbelly. ;)

As in Emo Philips?

-- T

(still wondering if Chow's contact with Hiram was as interesting as his "we get letters" post)

Maybe it's time for me to post the email go 'round I had with a chow.com writer last year who wanted to cover the "underbelly" of the illicit "absinthe scene".

Way cool. Much cooler than any of us.

In other words, they aren't interested in anything unless it has the sign of being illicit or underground. The actual content ceases to be important. The sign is the thing, and as soon as that sign no longer says "illicit and underground", the story changes to reflect that. Absinthe itself is not a thing to be consumed and evaluated on it's own merit. Rather than actually trying to understand it from a connoisseur's perspective, they will simply report on what dilettantes think of the stuff.

That gum you like is going to come back in style...

I haven't listened to much emo. I had a hard time relating to breaking up with my 15 year old girlfriend. That's probably as inaccurate of a cliche' as the shots against country music but since I don't have a big pick-up truck with big-ass tires and a bad-ass dog tied in the back, I don't listen to that either.

In the future when classical music is banned, all the cool teenagers will gather in unmarked buildings to listen to Beethoven's Fifth, which they bought illegally over the internet, sip tea and wear powdered wigs.

And I still roll up my Lucky Strikes in my t-shirt sleeve. I've been uncool for a long time. It ain't that bad. ;)

Do you honestly?

That's probably the coolest thing that I've heard in a while. :thumbup: :laugh:

And as far as emo goes... :blowup: :thumbdown:

I believe emo is the sound a boy makes when he's wearing girls` pants.

Oh deary me. Lets not start an Emo debate. It would be just as bad as a politics debate, and should be banned in the same manner.

In the future when classical music is banned, all the cool teenagers will gather in unmarked buildings to listen to Beethoven's Fifth, which they bought illegally over the internet, sip tea and wear powdered wigs.

Now that's some funny shit. :laf:

I noticed that Trid's Pretentious poster (how alliterate) put Neil Peart at the top of the list.

The delicious irony is that I find Rush's lyrics to be pretentious :laf:

Apparently I either forgot to do the math or neglected to carry the 1...or something.

Either way, I've been served. Touche'

Oh deary me. Lets not start an Emo debate. It would be just as bad as a politics debate, and should be banned in the same manner.

Politics aside, apparently some visionary entrepreneurs are cultivating emos.

Indeed, I laughed. I wonder if there are films about "Beatnic Farms" or "Hippie Farms" or "Raver Farms"? Maybe there is a "Scenester Farm" film, that would be deck as eff.

You must mean downloaded with emule or got from Pirate Bay. Yeah, that must be where they get it.

Hmm. I went to wikipedia and read the Emo page, and I'm still not sure what one is. Maybe it's because my taste in music is so random that I don't get the privilege of defining myself by a particular genre.

Is an Emo when you take a dose of Goth and dilute it until it louches?

-- T

Hmm. I went to wikipedia and read the Emo page, and I'm still not sure what one is. Maybe it's because my taste in music is so random that I don't get the privilege of defining myself by a particular genre.

Is an Emo when you take a dose of Goth and dilute it until it louches?

-- T

:laf::laf::laf:

Emo is what happens when the Goth community rejects you and you're left to fend for yourself.

Emo I believe is a more sissified version of Goth.

Seriously, if you're reading the page from the top down, there is no need to include the entire post above in your post. Seriously.

That is a hilarious definition though. ;)

Emo is a wonderful carpet word that helps people with limited vocabularies describe a person or people they do not understand. Emo really doesn't have anything to do with goth at all. Hell emo music hasn't really existed for the last five years. Please don't call people that listen to Panic at the Disco and My Chemical Romance, Emo. You will make all the trailblazing emotional punk rockers of the 80's all weepy and... uhm, emotional. Thats what emo stands for by the way.

Dog forbid they should write about love and loss instead of anarchy and heroin. What a bunch of pussywillows.

Emo is a wonderful carpet word that helps people with limited vocabularies describe a person or people they do not understand.

So since I don't get what an Emo is, that means I get it?

That's so... deep.

Hell emo music hasn't really existed for the last five years.

Then Emo's are people who listen to non-existant music?

I think I'm (not?) getting it even more!

-- T :twitchsmile:

(Who was it who recently commented on being in the wrong century? The concerts I've seen this month have been a madrigal choir and harp with nyckelharpa.)

Emo is a wonderful carpet word that helps people with limited vocabularies describe a person or people they do not understand. Emo really doesn't have anything to do with goth at all. Hell emo music hasn't really existed for the last five years. Please don't call people that listen to Panic at the Disco and My Chemical Romance, Emo. You will make all the trailblazing emotional punk rockers of the 80's all weepy and... uhm, emotional. Thats what emo stands for by the way.

Dog forbid they should write about love and loss instead of anarchy and heroin. What a bunch of pussywillows.

Jeez, now I'll have to ask my kid what all this is about. Some MCR stuff is catchy, I'll say that. Don't they do that Thanks for the memories song, but spelled like a text message?

I went there and searched on "emo". I got pdfs with titles such as:

• Polytopes, their diameter, and randomized simplex
  • NASA Systems Engineering Handbook SP-610S
  • 2000 S µ 125 kV µ 1000 S Voltage at Termination Resistor Current
  • Sending Voltage Sending Current Receiving Voltage Receiving

I think I need to stay in more...

-- T :twitchsmile:

(Who was it who recently commented on being in the wrong century? The concerts I've seen this month have been a madrigal choir and harp with nyckelharpa.)

I had nyckelharpa, but the doctor gave me some penicillin and it went away.