IntoAshes

Hello all!

Hello all...

I was fortunate enough to discover your strange colony a few weeks ago while looking for reputable online absinthe reviews. I had been curious about absinthe for years before I finally tried it. Of course, when I was younger I believed all the myths about the drink, but thanks to the internet and that recent NYT article, my expectations had been reigned in before I had my first taste. Luckily, I live a few blocks away from LeNell's in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn, and I was able to buy a bottle of Lucid as soon as it became available. What can I say? It came, it louched, it conquered. Consider me a convert. I have since gotten a bottle of the Kübler, and both are down to the last drops. Hopefully I can secure a bottle of the St. George before I take off for my holiday travels. I don't know what I would do without my little green hour every day. Strange how it has so quickly become a part of my life!

As for me, I'm a 35 year old bachelor living in Brooklyn and working in TriBeCa. I'm a photo rep at a small agency. I love all sorts of odd art, music and film (usually the stuff that gets labeled "experimental"), and I get the impression that many of you here are similar types. I am also an avid follower of soccer and cricket, a bad habit I picked up living in England years ago.

Anyway, that's me. Just thought I'd say hi!

Absinthe in Redhook, imagine that.

There must have been some major gentrification going on in the last forty years, that's for sure!

Welcome, IntoAshes! :cheers:

Absinthe in Redhook, imagine that.

There must have been some major gentrification going on in the last forty years, that's for sure!

Welcome, IntoAshes! :cheers:

Yes, Red Hook is not what it once was. Yuppies have discovered that you can buy a whole building there for the price of a loft in Lower Manhattan. Red Hook has had a reputation as an artists colony tucked away in darkest Brooklyn (which is what drew me there), with it's beautiful stretch of abandoned, decaying seafront warehouses. The new face of Red Hook is more along the lines of Park Slope- yuppies and their offspring in SUVs. I just moved this weekend because my old building got bought by a 32 year old promoter, and she doubled our rent! We have the nicest Fairway gourmet supermarket in New York here, and opening in the spring is the largest Ikea in the country... we'll see what happens to our quiet little artists colony here. It will never get too gentrified because of the lack of a subway anywhere near by. Still, everyone seems to be looking around and wondering what happens next...

Welcome and Santé! :mbanana:

Yes, The Fairie has the power to cast a pervasive spell.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that 12 bottles of fine verte (10 different kinds)

have mysteriously disappeared at my house just since August.

I don't know what I would do without my little green hour every day.

Welcome to the forum. I tend to keep my 'green hours' to about two a week. :cheers:

Well, let's just put the daily thing down to beginner's enthusiasm! I'm sure once I get used to the newness of the stuff, and/or find a new girlfriend, I'll be down to 2 or 3 times a week...

Luckily, I live a few blocks away from LeNell's

Lucky indeed! LeNell rocks.

Welcome! :cheers:

Well, let's just put the daily thing down to beginner's enthusiasm! I'm sure once I get used to the newness of the stuff, and/or find a new girlfriend, I'll be down to 2 or 3 times a week...

Sure. You just keep right on telling yourself that. ;)

Welcome and Santé! :mbanana:

Yes, The Fairie has the power to cast a pervasive spell.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that 12 bottles of fine verte (10 different kinds)

have mysteriously disappeared at my house just since August.

So that raises a good question... where do I go from here? I liked the Lucid, though after the Kübler it seems to have a more alcoholic burn going on in the finish. The Kübler is a nice sippin' absinthe, but it seems a little one-dimensional to me. Any advice/links to relevant discussions are much appreciated!