Sign in to follow this  
JJBlanche

Is Lucid Worth a Go?

Ouch!

More on topic, I'm still trying to dial in how I like to prepare my absinthe - ratio of water, sugar or no sugar - so I'm thankful that there are economical options like Lucid and Kübler. As T73 said, I just need to keep trying doses and I'll figure it out.

-- T

Ouch!

More on topic, I'm still trying to dial in how I like to prepare my absinthe - ratio of water, sugar or no sugar - so I'm thankful that there are economical options like Lucid and Kübler. As T73 said, I just need to keep trying doses and I'll figure it out.

-- T

1:4 is kind of a benchmark for me. Sugar, no thanks.

Hard to nail down a single ratio-- depends on the absinthe and how many you've already had. That's the fun of the fountain-- easy to stop it at 2:1, get a strong taste, then dilute more to sip. There's only one way to be sure if you've got it dialed in-- repeat the experiment!

I like Lucid as an every day drink, though maybe because of the price... which seems cheap... which would indicate that absinthe DOES drive you crazy, but that's another issue...!

(OT: Spotted Kübler at Grant+Green (don't ask!) in San Francisco Saturday night-- promo from the distributor, bartender cracked the seal and poured shots for me and a friend. We apologized and asked for bigger glasses and a little ice and water on top-- he was confused but happy to pour it for us. Then he poured himself a double shot in a tumbler and downed it-- that's a bartender for you... :laf:

I just got my first bottles of Lucid and the Kübler blanche earlier this week and am looking forward to my first l'heure verte with them today or tomorrow. Much as I'd like to order the premium stuff from Europe, I work for the University of Texas and I'm NOT a football coach, which means the cheaper absinthes are all I can afford for awhile, and I feel lucky to even find these available. So I'm hoping that Lucid is satisfactory. I mean, I love sparkling wine, too, but I can't afford the good stuff from Reims very often. Does this mean I should drink no bubbly at all?

It ain't easy having an absinthe appetite on a Budweiser salary.

:blink:

If Eric ever offers to have me for a drink I won't be hesitating to ask his address.

"It's unpleasantly like being drunk."

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"

"You ask a glass of water."

(The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Arrgghh.

I think I could actually get to like you if you weren't always harping on me.

You could always reprimand him for quoting the post directly above his. ;)

No, Metodd. He made his point well. And then met my raise with a well played track. For which I thank him.

Absomphe and his suppository posturing on the other hand may need an examination from Dr. Meaty-Gigi. Sheesh.

It ain't easy having an absinthe appetite on a Budweiser salary.

If that doesn't belong on a T-shirt, then I don't know what does.

Yeah, Mindshifter, the vocal part was recorded using a mic that had come bundled with a sound card. And I just plugged it into the jack on the front of my PC, which didn't help for noise. If it were a different style of music the easy cure for noise would be to add more noise. In fact, I did manage to do that for the massage CD I made.

-- T

I figured I would throw in my 2 cents regarding Lucid. My first experience with absinthe was La Fee Parisienne, I thought it was okay but then I made a big step with my next purchase and had the Jade Edouard which was leaps and bounds better than the La Fee.

As soon as Lucid was available I snatched up a bottle from DrinkUpNY. Again just like with the La Fee I thought it was alright. Just this past weekend I picked up 2 bottles of Kübler from BevMo (Chino Hills, CA location). After tasting the Kübler I have pretty much vowed to never purchase Lucid again. It is a lot smoother and tastier to me. Just smelling the Lucid was a bit much. I am not sure what it is about it specifically (please forgive my amateur knowledge of ingredient tastes/bouquets) but the Kübler just plain tastes better to me.

So bottomline, if you had to pick one (out of the 2 easily available right now in the states), I would go with Kübler. If you have the money be adventurous and try them both side by side!

Taste is subjective. Don't listen to what other people think tastes good to them unless you don’t know how to make up your own mind and you simply want to be a lemming that follows the crowd over the cliff.

Start with whatever appeals to you initially, and what your budget can manage. Then, as your budget allows, explore other brands. It’s not like you’re on a schedule or the world’s supply of absinthe will dry up before the end of the month, you have plenty of time to taste and compare. And, before you know it, you’ll be struggling to find space for that 15th bottle you just acquired. Only then will you be able to say with certainty which absinthes you find palatable, not what other people tell you what they think are good.

Edited by Misanthrope

I'd have to agree with Misanthrope about the tastes being subjective...

Me Personally:

While I Find lucid palatable, it's indeed not my favorite. I have a very sensitive sense of taste and smell (Father's a perfumer, mother's a flavor chemist, I was cursed from the beginning).

A 3-1 ratio still produces an over abundance of peppery (coriander?) and overpowering anis notes. While not exactly strong at this level, there's still a lack of the other elements and a general imbalance (according to my tastes).

I tend to bump lucid up to a 3.5 or 4-1 to which I get a much more sweet/floral balance in smell and taste than with a 3-1. There's still hints of pepper peaking through but it's much tamer than previous.

However I enjoy Clandestine Le Bleu, Jade Edouard (and most others I've tried so far) at a 3-1 ratio and find their balances to be some of the best so far (I'm a preban virgin....someday perhaps)

Interesting. I find Lucid to be very low in anise. Wormwood is the most dominant herb I taste.

If you've got the cash to do so, try everything. If not there's nothing wrong with getting a feel for the general attitude of other people. Of course preferences are subjective but finding out what someone else tastes in an absinthe, rather than just whether or not they like it, can tell me how likely I am to enjoy it and whether it's worth the monetary risk. Of course, there's not much reason for everyone to describe what they think of Lucid in this thread because there's already other threads where we've done so and there's also the review section on the main site.

Father's a perfumer, mother's a flavor chemist, I was cursed from the beginning

That is such an astounding marriage of professions I just wanted to isolate it.

Are you all really super-taster-sniffer-peoples? If we ever get a chance to meet I'll be sure to shower twice that morning.

Taste is subjective. Don't listen to what other people think tastes good to them.
I agree with Peri about the wormwood in Lucid. But that's good advice, Misanthrope. No need to be in lock-step with the absinthe coven. We each like what we like. For the longest time, I had deep shame about not liking absinthes with a "juicy" wormwood profile. The truth is, I ain't crazy about wormwood.

:shock:

All of my favorite absinthes are heavier on anise, lighter on wormwood. So.....chacon a son gout, or, as my dad used to say, "Jack's son has the gout."

Interesting. I find Lucid to be very low in anise. Wormwood is the most dominant herb I taste.

Yeah I hear ya...I felt kind of weird writing that I go with a 4-1 based on other experiences. I wouldn't say it's overpowering overall (say like drinking rubbing alcohol), but for some reason I get "pepper/anis" notes as being the prevalent flavors with the wormwood close behind.

:cheers: I agree with peridot ..... if you got the funds, buy what your budget allows and taste a go go. Decide for yourself what you like or don't. As for the ratio, I tend to fill the green up to the line and add water till louchy .... but I like a green kick in the balz to make me feel the herbs. As for sugar, I thank that subject has been beaten to death.

When lucid made its debut I couldn't help but pick up a bottle.

And then I always made sure I had a bottle handy.

Then Kübler came along shortly thereafter and I was drinking Kübler.

Then I decided to splurge a little picking up a few things from Matter and a bottle from Canada and I found them all very interesting and very good.

A couple of weeks ago DrinkupNY was out of Kübler, there was no St. George to be found, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the bucks and send across two seas again, so I decided to revisit lucid from Drinkup (although my wife doesn't care for it).

I'm having my second glass now, and while it may not the best, I am enjoying it. :)

Is lucid worth a go? I think so.

Why not?

I tried the Lucid last night. I was put off by the smell upon pouring it into the glass. After adding water, I took my first sip and was equally put off by the taste- it was like I'd mixed it with the sweat off my arm after a two-hour jog. I read Poor's review after I worked though most of that first glass, and his review only confirmed what I thought I had smelled and had tasted:

"Although I could easily smell the anise and fennel, but these and other aromas where tainted by what I could only describe as a spicy mexican food scent that seemed entirely out of place. Almost sweaty."

Had I written a review, that'd be nearly word-for-word how I'd describe it. That particular smell and flavor eventually dissipated after 5 minutes or so, and it became quite drinkable after that.

The next time I pour a glass of Lucid, I'm definitely letting it breathe first.

No, Metodd. He made his point well. And then met my raise with a well played track. For which I thank him.

Absomphe and his suppository posturing on the other hand may need an examination from Dr. Meaty-Gigi. Sheesh.

Oh let me get my rubber gloves....we sometimes have an industry practice for assessing stool occult blood on particular patients: test until positive. :twitchsmile:

My best friend bought me a bottle of Lucid today!

It's the first Absinthe to come into my possession. I haven't tried it yet, as i don't have anything to go with it as far as the "proper" accessories, so i will have to be patient until they arrive.