Sign in to follow this  
JJBlanche

Is Lucid Worth a Go?

Hey all,

The only Absinthe I've ever tried was Duplais Balance, and I thought it was fantastic. I really want to try PF 1901, but the costs are a little prohibitive. I do have a retailer of Lucid within an hour drive, and was wondering if you guys thought it'd be worth the trip. I've read the reviews for it already, and they seem all over the place, hence this post.

How do you think Lucid would stack up to Balance?

Thanks for your time.

I've seen more than a few people say that Lucid is just a notch below Balance in quality. I personally think Balance blows Lucid out of the water with a 10 megaton hydrogen bomb.

I guess it depends on how 'seasoned' you are with absinthe. If you're relatively new to it, I think there's a very good chance that you'll find Lucid to be quite agreeable. And like Abs said, you can't beat the price.

If you're relatively new to it, I think there's a very good chance that you'll find Lucid to be quite agreeable.

When I was new to absinthe I liked worse ones than Lucid. But I also hadn't previously had any as good as Balance.

I haven't had the St. George, I like Lucid, but...clearly from both Shabba's review and the other things like the NYT article, for the small monetary difference I'd go for the west coast absinthe. Not least because it's a boutique product and uses less "mass produced" ingredients. I'm not saying Lucid is crap, by no means, although as you noted reviews seem to be all over the place. I'd be more inclined to characterize them as you either really don't like Lucid (like I really don't like the Balance or any Duplais for that matter), or you see Lucid as an acceptable first or maybe second step entry-level absinthe. I was much more enthusiastic about my first bottle than my latest one, it seems to have more of an ethanol aftertaste than before. Just my two cents. As for how to get it on the east coast, check the list of vendors and see if ANY will ship to you. :cheers:

As for how to get it on the east coast, check the list of vendors and see if ANY will ship to you. :cheers:

And if none will, then look for it to be distributed in the east sometime (February or March) next year. As for Lucid, I think that it's good but not spectacular. It doesn't compare with any of the Jades I've tried, but I don't regret having bought it, and I enjoy drinking it.

Having read Shabba's review, I'm definitely looking forward to trying the St. George.

Edited by Marlow

Isn't that ironic...it's easier for me to get Absinthe online from Europe than it is from within the US. Fiddlesticks! The Jug Shop doesn't seem to have an explicit ban on shipping to my state, so I'll have to call them and see what the story is.

Hey JJ! Why don't you head over here and Introduce yourself so we can properly welcome you to the Wormwood Society?

I've seen more than a few people say that Lucid is just a notch below Balance in quality. I personally think Balance blows Lucid out of the water with a 10 megaton hydrogen bomb.

I don't know about hydrogen bombs but Balance is far superior to Lucid. Personally, I'd put Lucid in more of the François Guy category: drinkable and affordable absinthe but by no means exceptional. I think it's a great way to cut your teeth without breaking the bank.

F. Guy is tasty. I wish I could get it at the local ABC store for $35 a litre. I think that would be the most reasonable price for it.

Some people don't think he did. ;)

Seriously, it's only "lackluster" if you look at with a jaundiced eye vis a vis the Jade line. Instead, look at Lucid as a less expensively produced imported absinthe. Further, you'll note that it's not a Jade product, i.e. it's not supposed to be a top of the line absinthe. Viridian hired him to come up with the formulation and distill the end product, certainly to a price point.

I'm just guessing at the math here, but given the dollar to pound sterling rate these days, I'll bet that if Lucid were only available from, let's say Markus, it would have a list price of around 22 to 25 pounds for the bottle. That comes to around 50 bucks before shipping, so I'd say it's only overpriced compared to newer offerings like the St. George. Look at where Kübler came in, which seem about right given what I perceive to be the popular conception that a verte is somehow "better" than a blanche. Or maybe I should say mis-conception.

All in all, the way I look at it JJ if you’re interested in sampling a variety of Absinthes then picking up a Lucid is alright. If you intend to drink it every day then buying PF 1901 may not be the way to go. I like to buy a few bottles of different brands to try, some obviously better than others.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. One of my first purchases was a F. Guy and even though I have other more preferred brands, I still would take a pull from the F. Guy every now and again. I think what you’re really asking is Lucid worth a go for you? Only you can answer that. I would say, why not? Even if it is of ‘lesser quality’ then other Absinthes at least you have something which to base the others off of, while enjoying a nice drink. No regrets, friend! :cheers:

Seriously, it's only "lackluster" if you look at with a jaundiced eye vis a vis the Jade line. Instead, look at Lucid as a less expensively produced imported absinthe.

Precisely.

Seriously, it's only "lackluster" if you look at with a jaundiced eye vis a vis the Jade line. Instead, look at Lucid as a less expensively produced imported absinthe.

Precisely.

As a complete newcomer to absinthe, Lucid was my first bottle about 6 weeks ago. It got me hooked on absinthe, so it can't be all bad, no? I have a bottle of the Kübler as well, and I enjoy both thoroughly, but I can tell these bottles are only the tip of a very large iceberg. I would say give it a go. The only thing to dislike about it is the completely juvenile packaging.

I personally can't stand Lucid. My bf really can't tell the difference between absinthes - so I keep it for him to drink. He likes it just fine. It is a good way for me to keep him out of the good stuff.

:cheers: While I haven't tasted the Lucid, I think the comment "Less expensive" would sum up my thoughts about it. While I have always thought that Kübler was or is the every day absinthe, Lucid may well enter into that category with further batches that go onto the Market. But my limited expertise may make me wrong. Time will tell when and how US absinthe will bloom into the everyday life of the bar scene.

Hmm...I'm still on the fence.

At the moment, I'm probably going to wait and see if I can get a hold of St. George's. Shipping to my area may or may not be possible.

Then, of course, I might just dump a bunch of cash on a large order from absinthe online, and have a stock of high quality goods for the next year.

If all else fails, I'll run down to the local retailer and settle for the Lucid. At the very lease, it is a nice option to have.

We'll see...