piper909

Bonjour tout le monde!

Salut! This is my first post and a test to see if everything is working (as best I understand these things), especially my interesting avatar -- I don't know what piece of art this is, but it was posted on an inherited bulletin board when I moved into my current job last year, and since last year was when I first encountered la Fee Verte, I took the surprise appearance of the Green Fairy as a happy omen.

I somehow stumbled on this forum a few days ago while looking up articles on the new St. George Absinthe (which I don't seem able to get in Texas) and have been slowly crawling over the discussions and FAQs ever since, as time permits. So much to learn! I've already discovered battalions of new absinthes I never knew existed and am busy investigating alternate US suppliers so I can explore these brave new worlds and not be as dependent on La Fee or "Absente" as I have been this past year (hey, I know these are widely mocked on this forum, but they were all I could find, honest! At least I haven't been duped by any of those "Bohemian" absinthes, give me credit for that). I hope I can locate a source for this Jade I read about. I've got Kübler and Lucid on the way from the NYC guy, so this is a step in the right direction, I trust. You Europeans don't know how lucky you have it when it comes to the Green Fairy! Even a relatively enlightened place like Austin doesn't have any bars selling the stuff by the drink, and the only locally distributed product is the "Absente". I do hear from friends who have had their Spanish absinthe confiscated by Customs, however.

I work in the French & Italian Dept. (Graduate Coordinator) for the Univ. of Texas, so I am submersed in Francophile studies and persons and my interest and affection for absinthe is heavily tied to 19th century European literature, art, and society.

I look forward to my association with this forum and my like-minded brethren in pursuit of further knowledge, good times, and laughs (already enjoyed many of the latter).

And now to see if this internet thingy works.... crossing fingers... hit POST....

Welcome, I'm just north of you - in the Dallas area.

And you're right, you can't get St. George at a store here in Texas, but you can order it and have it shipped.

:cheers:

Welcome!

I was in Austin once on a job interview. Seems like there were some gorgeous Victorian homes about an hour out.

-- T

(who dreams of someday living in a house with a turret or an octagonal room)

You'd like it here then...TONS of old Victorians around here in the historic district where I live. Wish I could afford one of them!

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Welcome!

Glad you were able to get your hands on Kübler and Lucid so quickly-- the Jades are always a few clicks away...

Curious if you have any favorite absinthe references in 19th Century art-- the original catalyst for so many of our interests!

:cheers:

Wow, thanks to all who have offered greetings, gags, assistance, and commentary!

I will investigate these Jade links immediately, grazie mille, Sabrina! (Me Leo, Aquarius rising, moon in Capricorn, I think).

MeTodd1, can you supply a source for ordering St. George, or at least getting on a waiting list? The first retailer I found who carried it, KL Wines in Calif., took my order then rescinded it, saying they couldn't ship distilled spirits to Texas, only beer or wine. If this is a real law, I may be sunk. If it was just their own policy, perhaps there are alternatives.

Salsa, I have been wishing aloud for someone to publish a nice comprehensive collection of absinthe art -- paintings, posters, advertising, etc.. I have only seen a handful of all that has been created; has anyone thought o compile such a book and put it all into proper context? One of those prestige European art book publishers ought to jump in and make this a reality.

Here are some links to some of my personal favorites just now that I have digital images for, but I don't know much about them -- plus a personal image or two (a figure I painted; a drinking companion getting into the "spirit")

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/pi...TGreenFairy.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/pi...eenFairyart.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/pi.../GreenFairy.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/pi...9/GreenMuse.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/pi...Fairyfigure.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/pi...bGreenFairy.jpg

And yes, I am in fact an actual player of the bagpipes, too. Any other pipers here?

Salut, Eric,

That would be fun. Is there any place in town that serves absinthe at the bar? I always ask for it now, just to spread the buzz and to watch the looks of confusion (usually) on the faces of the wait staff or bar staff. It's a test. When will I receive a positive or at least encouraging answer?

Oh well, might as well let the town know that the demand is there.

Austin would be a natural center for absinthe revivalism, if we could only get supplies locally available, start up a cafe scene, etc. It's a million-dollar idea. I wish I could invest in a start-up enterprise along these lines. A good old-timey bohemian coffee shop/absinthe bar/music club. It's a vision, and it could be big!

I do not know of any place that serves it at the bar.

They are selling Lucid at several shops now so I guess that it will only be a matter of time.

There are a couple of cool places that probabaly would let us bring our own though.

Edited by eric

Austin would be a natural center for absinthe revivalism

I thought it already was. Btw, welcome Piper909, interesting pics, especially Ingres modifiee.