Auguru

Shipping & Handling: how to minimize?

I've only made a few trans-Atlantic purchases and every time the shipping/handling just kills me. I was seriously considering a purchase from the outlet in Spain (Fine Spirits Corner), but I couldn't believe the transportation cost! Unlike the other vendors, it would have cost more than the product itself to have it shipped (one or two bottles). As I increased the quantity, the shipping went up just as fast. The other vendors I've tried had the opposite pattern: as I added additional bottles, the total shipping increased, but the "per-bottle" portion dropped. To order the equivalent combination from the different vendors yielded radically different shipping costs. Is there a secret to getting a good value on shipping from Fine Spirits Corner? Or the other vendors, for that matter?

(I've yet to order anything twice, as I'm trying to get a sense of the range of tastes, quality, etc... available commercially. Excluding the universally reviled dreck, I figure at least one more order before I begin to settle into a selection of favorites.)

All I can say is you have to do your homework with each order.

You also have to decide what is really worth $xx in shipping per bottle.

I've decided not to try many things because the cost of shipping made it unreasonable, in total, per bottle cost.

I'll get to try the swill soon enough.

Good luck.

If you order from http://www.absinth24.net/absinthe/ they claim they will ship via courier for FREE if your order is over $400. I've made small purchases from them with great success but do not know if I want to try something on that large of scale. Has anyone had any negative experiences with this dealer or know something bad about them?

Multiple bottles and just taking it is about the only answer to shipping expenses.

Shipping really isn't horrible when you consider how far it's going. For a large liquor store to ship a 1.75 bottle from california to california in two days it costs around $15. LDF does it almost as fast and from france. Although shipping and exchange rates may have changed, when I calculated prices awhile ago, it was around $15 - $20 for a 750ml bottle, which seems about as good as your going to get without the company taking a hit on the shipping.

I've ordered from Andy once and he had good customer service and shipping. There is some ok stuff for lower end. Not a bad source for party absinthe. Something better than swill but when I don't want to waste my good stuff.

does anyone think that Airmail shipping is desireable or practical?

i'm paying in Canadian pesos to begin with, so my costs are a bit higher right off the bat

I'm hoping that perhaps I wouldn't have to declare airmail.

from the website:

******************SPECIAL NOTICE FOR CANADIAN CUSTOMERS***************

WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT ALTHOUGH IT IS LEGAL TO SHIP ABSINTHE INTO Canadia IF IT IS SHIPPED BY COURIER IT MUST BE DECLARED AS ALCOHOL AND IN THIS CASE IMPORT DUTY WILL BE CHARGED. THIS MAY BE EQUAL TO THE VALUE OF THE GOODS ORDERED, BY ORDERING YOU WILL BE INDICATING THAT YOU ACCEPT THAT YOU ARE LIABLE TO THIS DUTY.

IF YOU SELECT AIRMAIL SHIPPING, DELIVERY MAY TAKE UP TO FOUR WEEKS

Markus at http://www.absinthe-distribution.com/shop/...rt/tpl/-/lang/1

has reasonable prices on economy shipping. The downside is every now and then a package gets confiscated depending on where you live. If you're in the North East, his economy shipping is nearly as fast as LDF's courier, though from what I understand it takes much longer if you live anywhere else.

Between the Montmarte, the BdF and the Swiss LBs, I can and have hit the $400 marker at Andy's quite easily.

Absinthe isn't for the faint-hearted, but if you can afford it, stockpile to minimize the courier shipping cost.

So Andy actually does provide free courier shipping on $400+ orders? His markup must be pretty high if he can still make a profit on that deal. I currently have a $700+ wishlist sitting in my shopping cart over there but have been afraid to submit the order. I would hate to lose that large of a shipment to customs.

Here's the content of my shopping cart:

Kuebler 53

François Guy 45

Verte de Fougerolles 72

Toulouse Lautrec 68

Segarra 45

Montmarte 65

Blanche de Fougeroulles 72

Un Emile 68

La Fee Parisian 68

Bairnsfather Bitter

Serpis Dry 55

Blue Velvet 55

Any of these I should avoid?

Yes!

Throw out: Brainsfather, Blue Velvet, Un Emile. I'd also throw out: Verte de Fougerolles 72, Toulouse Lautrec 68, and Serpis Dry 55 - but I'm picky. However, in reality, I'd throw them all out 'cept for the Kübler 53, Segarra 45 and the Montmartre.

I have a bottle of the Lemercier Amer 72 and I'll have to agree that it's not too bad. Although I usually have to use a little extra water with that one.

Throw out the Bairnsfather and Blue Velvet and replace the Serpis Dry with regular Serpis. There's no one on this forum that would argue with that - I believe. Seriously.

Bairnsfather is fake Czech crap. If you can suffer through it, go read this thread over at Fée Verte.

This is roughly how I personally would rank the remains:

Kuebler 53

François Guy 45

Blanche de Fougeroulles 72

Segarra 45

La Fee Parisian 68

Un Emile 68

Toulouse Lautrec 68

Montmarte 65

Verte de Fougerolles 72

Serpis should be on there, but you can't really rank it among regular absinthes, it's so peculiar. You either love it or hate it. The only way I ever drink it is mixed with Red Bull.

There's a fair chance you'll be able to sample all of these at the WS event coming up, except for the La Fée and Toulouse Lautrec. Don't hold me to that, because I haven't ordered yet.

Having to help people sort through all the crap like this is one of the reasons I don't recommend vendors like absinth24.net. Ninety percent of what he sells is fake, substandard garbage.

Thanks for the help Hiram. You (and everyone else) have definitely helped in my decision making. It's great to know that I can count on all you to help me make wise choices. I certainly don't want to waste good money on substandard absinthe.

So Andy actually does provide free courier shipping on $400+ orders?  His markup must be pretty high if he can still make a profit on that deal.

?? His prices are similar to everyone elses. He's just willing to operate on less of a profit margin, especially on his US specials, it seems.

I've been tempted to take the $400 plunge, but that's a lot of cash for me. I got an email from Andy the other day. Apparently he is now offering club membership. For $100 a year he offers the following:

* Discounts on ALL products

* Discount on shipping rates

* Flat shipping of 90 US$ (courier) for orders with 5 bottles or more

* Access to brands that are not listed in the public shop

* Access to accessories that aren't listed in the public shop (fountains)

* Many more free gifts depending on your order total

He sells a lot of crapsinthe on his site but also carry's some very good brands. I have ordered from him before without incident but in no way do I endorse his site. Shop at your own risk.

Hmm, that membership thing sounds like it could be a pretty good deal if you order enough and order several times a year. $90 flat rate shipping via courier sounds good to me as I just paid $162 for my last order! Getting a group together of locals and combining everyones order into one could save some substantial money. Wish he carried the Jades.....

Membership card-carrying absinthe buyers, Hmmmm. I’m glad to hear your shipment will be arriving soon. You’re not the first to feel the panic of possibly losing a shipment. Luckily they usually end this way.