Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

Is that the cocktail brigade? (I.e. what's the scoop on the uniforms?)

Mad props to St. George for the quick sell out. Was the entire first batch 1600 bottles or was that just the portion sold at the distillery?

-- T

(edit: punctuation)

Oh, thank God. That's MUCH better pic than the one over on Getty Images *shudder*

The St. George Tactical Alcohol Consumption Squad is, well... it's an excuse to dress up in costume and drink good booze, really. The emphasis is on tactical consumption, rather than bulk intake, you see...

The joke started when St. G's did the "Special Forces" shirt (which you can see on Jennifer, the gal on the left) and Kevin offered to design a uniform to go with it. Lance gave Kevin the okay to use the St. G's logo for a unit patch and the whole thing just snowballed from there.

As the founding member of the absinthe branch of the TAC, I had to attend the release-day shenanigans, of course. ;)

St. George sold 1800 bottles out of the distillery, and sent another 1800 to distributors. They're already backordered with said distributors, and I believe the next production run will be in January (but I don't know what the official word is...)

- Johanna

I sent my own posse out to Alameda for the Hangar One tasting last week and had my associate pick up a couple of bottles of St. George's Spirits for me. But I'm in Manhattan right now and had a Mexican dinner last night with Kamal (great guy!) at DrinkUpNY, who said he will be getting the SGS absinthe sometime in January. Cheers! Paris pics coming soon!

:euro:

At the risk of posting off-topic, this thread brought to mind Paris Hilton's comments on the "Stupid Spoiled Whore" episode of South Park:

"I haven't seen it, but when people copy you, that's like the most flattering thing, so whatever people can say, I just laugh about it. It doesn't matter to me."

Which is almost the funniest thing I have ever heard....

I became very irritaed at my favourite liquor store - Hi Time the other day. I went in for my regular check to see if the St. George was in YET. I was informed it will not be there until the 27th, and is already sold out. This from the people who had told me they were not making a reserve list or pre-sale list for it. They are only getting 12 bottles on this first shipment, and it is apparently all sold. I am showing up anyways just in case an extra bottle was in the shipment.

Apply for a job there helping to unload the truck.

Rip open the case, grab a bottle, throw 80 or so $1 bills in the air and RUN!!!!

I get a good visual on that scene, but I see me in it rather than you.

That's a pretty big risk to take for a flavored brandy masquerading as an absinthe ;)

The real big risk is putting out $75 for something that is, at best, a so-so absinthe, and at the worst is a flavored brandy masquerading as a true absinthe.

And yet the absinthe being introduced to america, and the first to be made and sold in america is many times better than the first products in europe and the majority of products in europe even though many companies have had over 10 years to get their stuff together.

I'm not sure if I should be happy for America or just really sad for Europe. :)

Hey Alyssa,

Sounds like what they told me - it's in my post on page four of this thread. The manager said that someone else at the store had been taking a list independently. If they are going to honor it, I have to give them credit for that.

-- T

Tasted some St. George yesterday and it's like a movie you turn over in your head for a few days before deciding if you like it or not. At least for me... first reaction wasn't "delicious!" but "hmmm..."

Louched hard, of course, and between the nettles and the star anise, I kept thinking of Chinese medicine or a bowl of greens, or that spice tea/soup egg boil in Chinatown. Big flavors my friend and I kept noticing were the nettles ("spinachy," "swampy"), basil, terragon, star anise, and what must be the meadowsweet-- marshmallowy?

We dug into the cabinet after that, trying a few Jades, Balance, Marteau, Lucid+Kübler, a bunch more. The texture of the St. George compares to Edouard-- it's silky and thick. A lot of that must be the brandy base-- anybody ask what fruit they start with? Dug the Marteau-- my favorite from Matter-Luginbühl, recipe-wise-- :thumbup:

Would love to hear more impressions of the crazy monkey... :twitchsmile:

I don't know, Swat.

That's a pretty big risk to take for a flavored brandy masquerading as an absinthe ;)

I was just being silly, dear Abs. I get that way sometimes.

I would like to do something to promote the availability of authentic absinthe in local stores.

The general feeling that prevails here is that Lucid ain't that good, but it's a start, BUT not worth

serious attention, true? WHY couldn't it be a great Jade instead of Lucid???

I was considering the idea of being at Surdyk's at 8 o'clock tomorrow to buy one of the twelve Lucids

they will have.....however I have a big but of my own.

Forget it, I'm just going to quit fooling around and do what I really want to do.

I am very keen to try Hiram's Marteau, plus the Belle Amie, so....that's what I will do.