Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

I was gonna say, it doesn't sound like you do like drinking them! The only way I'd have an open bottle around for a year is....

I have some absinthe bottles that have been open for ten years. I still have bottles of all the Jades that are from the first run and all are open, as well as many other brands. I collect way more than I drink, but it really allows me to be able to taste them as they age.

In fact, this evening I retasted the L'Artisanale. It's aged well, however there now a curious pepperminty or spearminty flavor that I never picked up before. Curious, but not bad in any way.

Man do I want to raid your cabinet.

Probably hit the humidor too.

I finally got around to putting up a review of the S:t George on my site as well...

http://www.absinthe.se/reviews/misc.html?stgeorgeverte

I want to thank you. When I first started learning about Absinthe your site was one of the

first ones I found. I cannot tell you how long I spent reading everything. It is still my first bookmark

in my Absinthe folder. WS was the second, I lurked for the longest time now they can't get rid of me. And thanks to everyone I never bought shit...

Thanks again.

I was curious, so I went to the liquor store near me where I had procured my bottle of Kübler to see if they had any St. George on hand. The guy looked in the book, which he said was the latest one, and St. George wasn't anywhere in it! What's the deal with that; are all the stores who carry it ordering it from the internet or something?

I finally got around to putting up a review of the S:t George on my site as well...

I want to thank you. When I first started learning about Absinthe your site was one of the

first ones I found. I cannot tell you how long I spent reading everything.

I'll second that!

It all depends on the state you live in.

Well I'm in NY, so it's really odd to me. Isn't the main distributor of St. George DrunkupNY.com? And wasn't Lucid pretty much introduced here first? Anyway, I'll keep looking. But I just don't know. Both Kübler and Lucid were in the book, but not St. George.

first ones I found. I cannot tell you how long I spent reading everything. It is still my first bookmark

in my Absinthe folder. WS was the second, I lurked for the longest time now they can't get rid of me. And thanks to everyone I never bought shit...

Thanks again.

Where the blush emoticon?

Here ya go, Hartsmar. :blush:

Almost the same story here, Butch. Unfortunately, I bought assbinth before I found Absinthe.se but then poured through the website and never looked back. It is a tremendous resource and should be required reading for anyone wanting to learn how to write a good review.

[isn't the main distributor of St. George DrunkupNY.com? And wasn't Lucid pretty much introduced here first? Anyway, I'll keep looking. But I just don't know. Both Kübler and Lucid were in the book, but not St. George.

As far as I know, Lucid was first introduced in NY, but SG was first introduced in out west, so it takes time to get on the distribution sheets. Each state is different regarding how long it takes to become available.

Well, la-di-da for me! Finally got a bottle of the elusive and controversial St. George from the fine folks at drinkupny.com, perhaps the third batch? And after a few weeks, finally had a proper chance to enjoy a glass without distractions. Just sipping it on the front porch watching the birds. It has a very distinctive look and flavor. I'm not able to identify all the various tastes or ingredients, but I liked it. It looks thick -- the louche is not attractive to me, the color is too brown-- and it froths, slightly, to my surprise. Never seen this before in an absinthe. But the secondary effects were quite intense and pleasurable -- a definite case of mind-buzz with only a single glass. Maybe it's just me. But it was a zingy experience, a very definite goosing from the green fairy, and who could ask for anything more?

Edited by piper909

and it froths, slightly, to my surprise... But the secondary effects were quite intense and pleasurable

Maybe you were trippin a bit from some leftover Dawn in the glass. ;)

Never seen St. George froth in any way.

Isn't the main distributor of St. George DrunkupNY.com?

I think DrinkUpNY is the retailer, not the distributor. I might be wrong there.

Possibly the slight frothing effect was produced by the sugar cube that was used, a fancy French block that came from Tony Rodriguez' absinthe supply shop on eBay. Plus vigorous stirring. In one of the fancy Pontarlier reservoir glasses.

I'm looking forward to my next tipple.

Off topic a tad but I found several nice topics in the recent newsletter.

SG absinthe avail. in NJ and NY now .

FREE distilling seminar for those close to Alemeda(sp).

Single Malt and Grappa release.

SEE BELOW

St. George Spirits- Hangar One Newsletter May 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

San Francisco Cocktail Week Distillation Demonstrations

San Francisco Cocktail Week is coming up May 13th through the 19th. This celebration and showcase of the thriving cocktail scene here in the San Francisco Bay Area will consist of special events, classes, and parties.

In that spirit, and to help keep those big wheels turning, we will be firing up the stills and hosting distillation demonstrations with tours on Saturday, May 17th!

Saturday May 17th, 2008

Tours and demos at 1pm, 3pm, and 5pm

Free admission

New Single Malt Whiskey Release

Lot number 7 of our St. George Single Malt Whiskey is now available! Older and more sophisticated than our previous release, this edition is a hallmark in the evolution of our whiskey.

In lot 7, the voice has deepened, feels more grown up, yet there are more high notes and sweetness present than in lot 6. There's cocoa, hints of delicate smoke and dry spice in the front of the palate, finishing with lingering cinnamon– soft, warm, and lovely.

As part of the regular tasting, we are pouring our lot 6 and lot 7 back to back to encourage you to discover the nuances that define each lot of St. George Single Malt Whiskey.

Company founder and master distiller Jörg Rupf shares some background on the development of whiskey:

Our concept for the whiskey is based on our philosophy of fruit eau de vie making, which is to showcase the qualities of the ingredients used in distillation. For the whiskey, we try to weave them together into a complex picture. Different roast levels of the barley, different types of oak, a small and measured amount of hardwood smoked malt, all contribute to that complexity. We are consciously staying away from peat, because it really has no particular connection to California and because of its sometimes-overwhelming impact on the flavor profile. There are plenty of really good Scottish examples of peated malts available. This is unique. This is St. George Spirits Single Malt whiskey.

Grappa Back in Stock

We have released a new bottling of our Aqua Perfecta Zinfandel Grappa, after a few months of being sold out.

As with all handcrafted items, this release is a little different than the previous one: more buttery and berry flavors present with hints of dates, richness and roundness, and none of the astringency that one associates with grappa.

Check out this recent article on grappa.

New Aqua Perfecta Framboise Liqueur & Mothers Day

Just in time for Mother's Day, a new batch of Framboise (raspberry) liqueur will be available for sale in the distillery starting May 9th.

On Sunday, May 11th, we will be offering special treats to all the moms, so bring mom in and make her happy!

NY, DC, NJ & CO Absinthe

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte is now available in these states: CA, NY, DC, NJ & CO.

Check out the Outside's Go magazine's article on the Absinthe Verte (with video).

A bunch (or other collective noun) of us Aussies tried the stuff tonight and we almost unanimously loved it!

One out of six said they didn't feel like finishing the glass, but one said it was a new favourite.

Overall, we enjoyed the creaminess, the louche, and the traditional flavour profile mixed with some not-so-traditional herbs. Of course, the eucalyptus was an easy one to spot, but I'm tempted to get hold of some stinging nettles, just to see what the nettles might do to me on a solo basis.

Yum!

Had a sample glass at the St. George facility yesterday. It reminded me of summer camp. I could hardly taste the wormwood at all. Even the anise was subtler than I expected. I like it, but it's most certainly a very unique beverage.

St. George is the only absinthe you can find in the stores here on Maui.

The Torment is here too, but that doesn't count.

If you're lookin' on Maui, save yourself some money and go to Wailea.

Coz there is none... unless you were referring to Star anise...

Ah, well that explains that. I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Curious if anyone has opinions about this.

The St. George Absinthe Verte loses its green really quickly. Like within days of opening. Sometimes before being opened.

I know this is something that happens with verte absinthes, but I've got other absinthes that keep their green after being opened a year.

Is it proof? Their choice of coloration herbs? Their method for the coloration step?

Just curious, as the color tends to be a bit of a turnoff for this, what do they call it, brandy with herbs.

~Erik E.

I have two bottles, one opened and one unopened. Both were purchased in late 2007 and early 2008 (batches 1 & 2). The color has not changed and still looks as it did when I purchased them. Also, there is virtually no sediment in the bottles. I can't explain your experience. I know the recipe for St. George has changed very little.

Binny's liquors in the Chicagoland area has St. George on sale for $50 a bottle. I picked one up yesterday, but still haven't tried it. Normally, it's $80 so with the discount, I figured it's worth it. They do mail order, so if anyone is interested you can order a bottle from them.

For me there is just something off-putting about St. George. My bottles will likely remain in my bar untouched for years.