Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

Hey who's that guy in my glass.....

This guy?

doc_love.jpg

"By the way, it's not a liqueur. It's a liquor."

Umm.... okay. I guess I don't get an A in spelling...

Actually not a spelling error. People often wrongly call absinthe a liqueur, which is by definition pre-sweetened. It's technically an aperitif, but my friends at The Bureau tell me I may not be seeing that word on an absinthe label anytime soon either.

I'm guessing however that I like all three... So ouzo is a liquer (sp?) and sambuca is a liqueur?? And neither is an apertif like absinthe? This is all just oo confusing. whatever happened to booze?

We drank it all.

Ouzo should not be a "liqueur" but it's classed as one in the US, so it must contain sugar. The several I tested did have. I think technically ouzo could be considered a flavored brandy aperitif, along with arak and raki, since they should be made with grape spirits.

Sambuca is definitely a liqueur.

What makes them aperitifs is the herbal content, which stimulates the appetite and gastric juices. Try a glass or two an hour or so before dinner.

Oh my, Doctor, what big hands you have. Very healing, I trust.

when you use an herb bill that different you should just say, "Dude, I totally winged it. I read some old recipes but only used them as a reference point. I came up with something that is totally unique and modern, and I think it's really cool. Give it a try but keep an open mind."

:punk:

Hiram, will trying it an hour or two before dinner make me more hungry? That could be the very last thing I need. I like my food like I like my booze. Lots of it... And that already means too much exercise.

Sorry to change the flow of thought here, but for what it's worth, I just got my order for St. George Spirits (and a bottle of my old favorite, Chartreuse Verte) and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Of the limited experience I have, I prefer it over both Lucid and Kübler. I was thinking of taking a jar of pickles with me to the swimming pool, then I'd be in heaven!! :pirate:

23 April, the traditionally accepted date of Saint George's death

Crack it open and kill it.

Party at ejellest's!

Hiram, will trying it an hour or two before dinner make me more hungry? That could be the very last thing I need. I like my food like I like my booze. Lots of it... And that already means too much exercise.
I wouldn't say it make one "more hungry" so much as simply enhancing your enjoyment of your meal.

Everyone experiences things differently. Absinthe makes me extremely hungry. I frequently forget this when I decide to have a glass before bed and then end up staying up another hour rooting through my fridge.

Bitter compounds excite the flow of gastric juices. If the gastric juices are flowing then your body is going to expect something for them to work on.

I'm with Peridot on this one, I get a rumbling tummy and wouldn't mind the odd nibble of food

And Pan Buh pretty much explained why :cheers:

Okay, I've tasted it. My review is posted on the main site.

My all-important verdict on whether it's absinthe: yes, I certainly think it is. It's the weirdest damn absinthe I've ever had, but it's absinthe. I like it but I don't love it. I think it could be improved but at least it's better than Lucid.

Well, your review has made me not want to try SG. I can't place my finger on why, but the whole "big red" thing, as well as little wormwood. Overall not really something that shined from your review, to me at least. Thorough review though; it did it's job for me as far as I'm concerned!

Purely personal tastes so I don't think my thoughts would be any good to you. I think Lucid is extremely dirty and tastes the way a public toilet smells. This doesn't. I don't enjoy Lucid one tiny little bit and find the flavour offensive. I kinda like St. George. But I still don't like it enough to pay $75 for it. I can get some single malt I'd enjoy 100 times more for that much.

I guess it's because the only verte I've tasted yet is Lucid, but it was "good enough" to get me to run out and buy Kübler, and to plan on spending around $200 when I get my economic stimulus check from the government on importing some good absinthe. It actually makes me tingle to think that if Lucid is as "bad" as some say it is, just how great really good absinthes taste like.

And your thoughts are absolutely helpful, otherwise we admit the rating system is completely bogus and worthless!

And your thoughts are absolutely helpful, otherwise we admit the rating system is completely bogus and worthless!

Well, what I guess I meant is that it's an authentic absinthe, distilled and coloured with traditional herbs, so you might like it while I don't. That's why I'd suggest against referencing just my opinion when deciding what to purchase. Check out all the reviews and get a more general view. One thing I do before spending lots of money is figure out which people's thoughts are most similar to mine regarding absinthes I've had, and then see what they think about absinthes I've never had.

Well, you seem to loathe Lucid, while I really like it. That may be only since my pallet is still young, but if I like it now, I can't imagine never liking it after I taste better absinthes. I will surely slide down my preference meter, but I do like it just fine. And I've been trying to get a sense of who likes which flavors, etc., and I just think it's very hard to tell from that. I frequent the "your top 10 absinthes" thread for ideas, which i cross reference with the WS ratings database.

I've firmly picked out both Duplais Verte and Brevans as my next purchases using this method. Plus, the Brevans label is perhaps the coolest label I've ever seen on any bottle of booze ever!

Don't be so sure you'd still like something later just because you like it now. My palate development wasn't just "I like this more so the stuff I used to love isn't as good by comparison." I used to think some really rank absinthes were excellent because my tastes were not developed enough to detect most flaws. I couldn't discern a terribly huge difference between Partisane Vintage 2004 and Jade Nouvelle Orleans. The concept seems beyond stupid now, as today I find them extremely different. I might have loved Lucid when I was just beginning to drink absinthe. It is fairly similar to the Partisane. But back then I couldn't taste off-flavours. I couldn't tell if an absinthe was burnt, funky, fishy, sweaty, muddy, plasticky, or sewage-like. Once I was able to identify them (all but fishy; I still haven't gotten that despite a very sensitive nose to fish) they began to slowly bother me more over time. Some absinthes don't even taste the same at all now as how I remember them because my brain glossed over flavours I didn't understand and now they overwhelm.

I liked Lucid more than Kübler when I first tried them both, now they are about tied, although the Kübler still kind of beats me over the head with anise. And I still prefer the St. George over both although not as much as I did at first. Definitely interesting how you find different flavors to them each time you come back to them.

And this is all why I've fallen in love with absinthe even only from a bottle each of Lucid and Kübler. I can hardly imagine the possibilities awaiting my tender, undeveloped tastes!

PT, I feel the same way about my crass, hardened, burned-out tastes! ;)

My all-important verdict on whether it's absinthe: yes, I certainly think it is. It's the weirdest damn absinthe I've ever had, but it's absinthe. I like it but I don't love it. I think it could be improved but at least it's better than Lucid.

I think I agree with every word, Peridot.

Do you know which edition you had, Peridot?

No. I think it's the second batch. LeRoy graciously sent it to me so he could say for sure.