Derrick

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Available for Order

Sofitel would be my vote, and I'd be down for the suite for the afterparty (apres` fait). Chez Collette is the nicer of the three there, correct?

Lemme know what you want help with.

I, too, got the same confusion from many employees when I asked about Absinthe back in December. In Moutain View, an employee actually started arguing with me, telling me that "Absente" was the only one they carried, and that "the real stuff" is illegal in the US. It wasn't until I took him to the cabinet that had the St. George and Lucid did he say out loud, "When did we get those?" I laughed out loud...really!

I just took the time to discover they stored it in the locked cabinet with the Vodkas so I went to the store or called and checked.

Bevmo gets their deliveries on Tuesday's and Friday's (as far as I was told), and as of 8:42PM PST today, 1/28/08, they still don't know if they will get any of this batch. In fact, an employee tonight told me Bevmo didn't even know they were going to get the 1st batch until the day before it was delivered. However, I will check with the stores, and as soon as I get word they have stock, I'll post here if anyone in the Bay Area wants some. Since I live near a Bevmo, and I work near two others, I can easily drop by the store to check on Friday. In my experience, one of the guys at the Sunnyvale store and one at the Gilroy store know about SGA and can answer questions on availability.

Either way, I would just refuse to buy from the stores that mark up, unless you really want to pay extra.

On a drinking note, I just opened one of my bottles, and although I am an extreme novice to Absinthe, I can certainly say I liked it better than the only other Absinthe I tried, Lucid. I will be sharing this SGA bottle on Super Bowl Sunday with the same crowd that tried Lucid with me, and I hope nobody gets the red-faced reaction mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'll go now to the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

Cheers!

Great news!

I contacted drinkupny.com and asked them if they plan to carry the St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte. Here is their response:

Hello Derrick:

Thanks for contacting us. It will be available in NY from March 1st and we will offer pre-sale about a week before.

Kind Regards,

Kamal

That means a respectable price and free shipping! I think I can wait until March for my next bottle. Also, they ship to ALL states + worldwide! :thumbup:

W00t! Just in time, I almost bought a new bottle of some damn thing from LdF onacuz I thought I had zero chance of ever getting any of this stuff. Now that it's a real possiblity, I have to actually read some reviews and decide if I want to buy it. ;)

Since I have only spent the last month really trying different whisky's and a few absinthe, I am quickly realizing that it is tough to invest over $50 on anything that may be a disappointment, especially when there is so much out there you know is worth the money.

We will see with this batch if the first sellout was just a fad. If it follows suit, then this one will be gone in 2-3 weeks. In my novice opinion.

Great news!

I contacted drinkupny.com and asked them if they plan to carry the St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte. Here is their response:

Hello Derrick:

Thanks for contacting us. It will be available in NY from March 1st and we will offer pre-sale about a week before.

Kind Regards,

Kamal

That means a respectable price and free shipping! I think I can wait until March for my next bottle. Also, they ship to ALL states + worldwide! :thumbup:

Schwing! Dan and I need to place another order with them as it is. We can wait a little longer I suppose.

Drink up is great to deal with.

I can order on Wednesday and know I'll have my order for the weekend...

And now St. George, Maybe I'll get to try it this time.

Oh yeah!!!

Yeah, the manager at the spirits store I typically shop at doesn't yet know when or how many either. And he's usually a bit more clued in than the folks at BevMo.

I left the previous bottle with friends in Wisconsin, so am looking forward to giving the St. George a second try.

Out and about, I did recently try it in a cocktail and found that it didn't work all that well in a Fascinator Cocktail*. The simpler flavor profile of the Kübler worked much better, allowing the fresh mint to come through and shine.

One of the bartenders commented, saying something in the herbal profile of the St. George really does seem appropriate for a California Absinthe. It tastes funky and, ahem, weedy.

:laugh:

~Erik

*Fascinator Cocktail

2 Dashes Absinthe. (20 drops)

1/3 French Vermouth. (3/4 oz Noilly Prat)

2/3 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Tanqueray No. 10)

1 Sprig Fresh Mint.

Stir well and strain into cocktail glass.

I really need to sit my butt down and write a review but, of the two releases, I find myself liking the second batch a LOT more.

The strange menthol-like after-taste that I was getting in the first batch seems to be completely gone, for a start.

However, I think some people will NOT like it, because it's dialed back the anise quite a bit (yes, yes, I know it's not green anise), allowing some other flavors to come through more distinctly - notably lemon balm and mint, imho...

More when I'm not about to go vamoosing off to forn parts, I promise!

Then I'm gonna like it! :cheers:

If you're a fan of basil, you should definitely check out St. George's basil eau de vie - simply amazing!

(especially in a modified mojito!)

- Johanna

Had some (of batch #1) for the first time this weekend... I am definitely not a fan.

Second batch is much better... still the freak of the party, though...

Had some (of batch #1) for the first time this weekend... I am definitely not a fan.
I had some for the first time this past weekend as well. Though the anise flavor was subtle at best and there were strong herbaceous overtones, I didn't find it offensive. In addition to the basil mentioned by Alyssa, I noted coriander. If you don't care for anise then you may find this absinthe more palatable than others. But that's only my opinion and, you know what they say about opinions, they're like :censor1:, everybody's got one and they all stink. I'd buy another bottle but then again, taste is subjective.

I still haven't tried the 2nd batch, but I've almost gone through my second bottle of the 1st batch.

I'm sure when I get a taste of Absinthe from Europe, I will have a better opinion. For now, I can only compare it to Lucid.

However, I will check with the stores, and as soon as I get word they have stock, I'll post here if anyone in the Bay Area wants some. Since I live near a Bevmo, and I work near two others, I can easily drop by the store to check on Friday. In my experience, one of the guys at the Sunnyvale store and one at the Gilroy store know about SGA and can answer questions on availability.

Ever been to the one on Stevens Creek and Saratoga? That's pretty close to where I live but I never even knew one existed there. I've been going to the one on Lincoln Ave.....

Slight scoop on St. George.

I'm told St. George/Hangar One have decided to consolidate all their products with a single distributor, (Young's Market, who had previously only been handling the Hangar One stuff,) so there will be a bit of a delay during the changeover. A local liquor store manager estimates early March before he thinks he will see the Absinthe in his store.

~Erik

Update from the Hangar One newsletter:

Absinthe Verte Available in the Distillery Store

We have the St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte available for purchase at our distillery store. The 3rd batch was bottled on February 29th and will be shipping to bars/retailers throughout California in the next few weeks.

Guess they sold out on the second batch without making it to the distributor.

Most amazing price gouging seen so far:

Bottle from the first batch of St. George Absinthe at Wine Impressions for $150.

It seems St. George was briefly available at DrinkupNY...for about 8 seconds or so. I've been checking almost daily with a view toward ordering a bottle, and when I looked today, it was there but sold out! Remarkable.

Well, I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled for Marteau...if only I knew where to look....

Yeah, I was surprised to see it pop up on DrinkUpNY...not more than 12 hours after I made my latest Lucid/Kübler purchase. By that time it was too late to modify my order- I would have seriously considered getting a bottle just to try it. Oh well...guess it's an omen that I should save my money to explore some Balance and Ike in a little bit.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure you're on the right forum for U.S. Marteau release news. I'm definitely picking up a bottle as soon it's available in, or available to be shipped to, WA state. Lucid's alright, but it would be really nice to have an even tastier and traditional quality verte in the U.S.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure you're on the right forum for U.S. Marteau release news.

Yes, I daresay you are correct, though good ol' Hiram has played his cards fairly close to the vest thus far (for good reason, I am sure).

Never mind...I'm well stocked with Roquette and Jade and a few others...I can afford to wait patiently!

Update from the Hangar One newsletter:

Absinthe Verte Available in the Distillery Store

We have the St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte available for purchase at our distillery store. The 3rd batch was bottled on February 29th and will be shipping to bars/retailers throughout California in the next few weeks.

Guess they sold out on the second batch without making it to the distributor.

Most amazing price gouging seen so far:

Bottle from the first batch of St. George Absinthe at Wine Impressions for $150.

Blimey! I somehow missed the newsletter re: batch 3 (I think my gmail ate it as spam). I'm rather keen to compare it to batches 1 & 2, but my credit card can't take any more abuse. I'll have to stop by the distillery and settle for a single glass. Woe!

As for gouging, some would-be entrepreneurs were asking for ridiculous prices on Craig's List for the first batch (at least $150 - then things got silly once the parody posts started, which was a bit of a relief) but those were individuals, not retailers.

- Johanna

I was reading this thread in the hospital today and found out they had just released another batch. I decided to leave work early and head to my local BevMo. There it was, the last of 6 bottles sent to this store. Then I went and picked up some wheat beer and shopped around for a while longer, then went to check out. At the counter, the guy tells me somebody just asked him if they had any more St. Georges. Hahahaha.... ahem, I mean, I hope it wasn't one of you fine people.

:cheers: