• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#1 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

K&L Wine Merchants now knows their allocation and is taking orders. You can pre-order a bottle online at www.klwines.com. I would do this ASAP as quantities are extremely limited. I placed my order!

Attached Files

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

But not to Montana. :3869-sadbanana:

#3 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, their shipping is limited to the following states only:
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

That's less than half! ;)

#4 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

And none of them are even foreign states.

#5 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:50 AM

Just talked to K&L...they do not ship to Maryland and they do not ship spirits to the District of Columbia. Most vexing.

I know that in time absinthe will come to liquor store shelves in my area, but I do wish the makers and distributors would hasten the process!
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

I do wish the makers and distributors would hasten the process!

Yeah, we're just taking our sweet time because it pisses people off. ;)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#7 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

I do wish the makers and distributors would hasten the process!

Yeah, we're just taking our sweet time because it pisses people off. ;)

Ha! Good one!

I look forward to an early appearence of Absinthe Marteau in the DC area as well! :cheers:
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#8 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

So that's a domestic blend? I'm awaiting more blends other than kuebler or lucid. No shipping to Alabama? Well dang. We can impregnate our cousins but we can't have green drink? Where's the fun in that?

edit: disclaimer: I thought about that for a second. I neither practice nor condone this ritual and or happening.
Thanks, have a nice day.

Edited by kuchenhure, 13 December 2007 - 01:09 PM.

#9 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

K&L Wine Merchants just sent me an email canceling my order. They said they do not ship spirits to Oregon. Now, when I went through the ordering process it first asked me what state I was in to see if they could ship there. I entered Oregon since it was on the list of acceptable states and then completed my order. I called them and explained that they need to change some things on their website and the guy became hostile about it and hung up on me. I'm pissed! :thumbdown:

#10 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Ahhh.. that's pretty sad. Some people just don't want to do business.

#11 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:04 PM

Well, I got a hold of the folks at The Jug Shop and they were more than happy to fill my order and ship to Oregon. Now that's customer service! Looks like I'll be getting that bottle after all!

#12 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

How good is it supposed to be? I'm thinking about going ahead and placing my order, also.

#13 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,034 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

I have heard nothing but good reviews. It will be interesting to sample a domestic absinthe.

#14 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

I'm excited as well. If nothing else, we can see how it ages. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#15 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

noob time: Ahhh. So the really aged like 1910~ish absinthe is RED (all that i've seen, but i just inquired about a pernod order, I'd LOVE to have it but right now I can't afford, but I'll have one later if there is a later.)... is that because of aging or was that because it was red before hand?
[referring to the aging]

#16 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

Green absinthe's colour fades with time into a tan or brownish or gold colour. Old absinthe is usually not green anymore, but sometimes is.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#17 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

I see. That sounds delicious. :arrr:

#18 Touch-Money

Touch-Money

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

noob time: Ahhh. So the really aged like 1910~ish absinthe is RED (all that i've seen, but i just inquired about a pernod order, I'd LOVE to have it but right now I can't afford, but I'll have one later if there is a later.)... is that because of aging or was that because it was red before hand?
[referring to the aging]

Honestly drink more then divulge into the pre-ban era stuff. I've been drinking absinthe for a while now and I don't even think I'll appreciate it. I think I might just order a sample and keep it around for a couple years.
“Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.” - George Bernard Shaw

#19 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

Hate to play into the "Absinthe Fever" but, I figure it is more like fair warning than anything else...

Was chatting with someone at a local store that will be carrying the St. George Absinthe.

They said they had managed to secure 60 bottles from this first batch for their store and have already pre-sold 40. They didn't really think any of it would actually make it to their shelves.

They also mentioned they have been told to expect the next batch February-ish.

~Erik
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#20 Justang

Justang

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Sorry but I have a dumb question. Since St. George is made for the U.S. how is it different than Europe as in is the wormwood/thujone lower or the alcohol ?? Why is it " U.S." brand why cant we have some of the other brands....

#21 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

It's all just getting started. We have 3 brands available now in the US. More will come, it takes time.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#22 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

Sorry but I have a dumb question. Since St. George is made for the U.S. how is it different than Europe as in is the wormwood/thujone lower or the alcohol ?? Why is it " U.S." brand why cant we have some of the other brands....

St. George is the first absinthe made in the US to be sold in the US. It's something we should celebrate, even if their herb bill is abnormal.

You have to remember, the floodgates don't open and just let booze run through; the people who make the liquor have to go to the trouble of doing everything necessary to get it onto shelves here. And the brands that we enjoy from Europe aren't all trying to get into the US market yet. The demands of even a limited market release here are huge. It'll take time.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#23 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

floodgates...just let booze run through

Now that's a nice picture!
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#24 Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:16 AM

For me anyway, it is an exciting time to be getting into this stuff. The limited number of brands readily available makes it easy to enter market. I'm not yet overwhelmed by choices. To ask a novice question, though, why is the St. George so much more expensive than the other two? They don't even have to ship it from Europe at high cost or worry about outrageous exchange rates.

#25 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:00 AM

"Made in the U.S.A." is not stamped on the others, I don't think.

Supply and demand would be another.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#26 kuchenhure

kuchenhure

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

Honestly drink more then divulge into the pre-ban era stuff. I've been drinking absinthe for a while now and I don't even think I'll appreciate it. I think I might just order a sample and keep it around for a couple years.

Yeah I was going to order one or two while I still could. You never know when the last bottle will be cracked.

#27 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

[...] To ask a novice question, though, why is the St. George so much more expensive than the other two? They don't even have to ship it from Europe at high cost or worry about outrageous exchange rates.

The St. George is made on a house distilled, unaged grape alcohol base and I believe both Kübler and Lucid are made on a base of bulk purchased beet or grain neutral spirits.

I've also heard St. George is sourcing many of their botanicals from local organic and/or sustainable farmers.

~Erik
Erik Ellestad

#28 Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

"Made in the U.S.A." is not stamped on the others, I don't think.

My point exactly. The fact that it is made in America would mean, i'd expect, cheaper product. There is no import tax, no cost of shipping from Europe, and no weak dollar to contend with.

#29 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

Review posted!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#30 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

My point exactly. The fact that it is made in America would mean, i'd expect, cheaper product. There is no import tax, no cost of shipping from Europe, and no weak dollar to contend with.

Maybe you missed my post.

Lucid/Viridian and Kübler purchase Industrially produced grain or beet neutral spirits. Think giant factory size continuous stills producing huge amounts of ethanol an hour. Lucid/Viridian and Kübler then flavor and re-distill these relatively low cost ethanols and bottle them.

St. George buys wine, distills the wine into brandy, (probably at least partially in a pot still as they are also working on a brandy,) then flavors that brandy and re-distills. Aside from the grape growing and wine production, it is all done at their Alameda distillery. They are also sourcing their ingredients from local sustainable and organic farms. None of this is cheap.

Hangar One's very well regarded flavored vodkas retail for around $35 for 750ml. Their well regarded Zinfandel Grappa costs $35 for 375ml. Their basil Eau de Vie, which I suppose could almost be considered a practice run for their Absinthe, is $50 for 375ml.

Short answer is, craft distilling isn't cheap, no matter where you do it, and the San Francisco Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to run a business in the whole of the US.

~Erik
Erik Ellestad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association