beau_cauchemar

Death in the Afternoon: Revisited

Heh. Yeah, maybe. But these heathens have actually convinced me to give it another go. I'll be stopping with one the next time around, though. I'll be picking up a bottle of Lucid tomorrow night to tide me over until Vieux Carre drops, so who knows what Saturday or Sunday night might bring...even though AiO has warned against using Lucid.

Somehow I think Brevans H.R. Giger or Duplais might work better with this drink. Something with a bit more natural sweetness to it.

But anyway, I'm not trying to jinx my Saturday holiday shopping excursion by venturing on treacherous ground with DITA tomorrow night, though. Besides...it's called Death in the Afternoon. Saturday perhaps.

And I'll steer clear of juniper bushes, T. ;)

All right class, here's what I think on this.

Sparkler... something with a big fruit profile. I'd try to find a good Cava or Prosecco.

Absinthe... something not overwhelmingly bitter, something with a good anise profile and preferably, a fruity wormwood character.

Examples:

La Clandestine

Kübler

Taboo

Vieux Pontarlier

Jade PF1901

If the absinthe is more bitter or not fruity, go to a sweeter sparkler.

Class dismissed. :dry:

Danke. This is kind of what I figured and why I chose the absinthes I mentioned in the previous post. Particularly the Brevans. I typically only drink very dry sparkling wine so I guess I'll have to branch out into more fruity territory to balance things out more properly. Maybe I'll swing for the Kübler this evening instead. It's on sale now, anyway.

I probably wouldn't do a red sparkler. If you want sweet, maybe Asti Spumante, Moscato d'Asti, or just look for something like the Chateau St. Michelle Extra Dry, or Demi Sec, if they have it.

Lambrusco is generally frizzante, i.e. slightly sparkling and low-alcoholic than regular spumante, so might not exert the beauty :sarc: of the hangover upon the potential (victim) drinker.

However, after two DITA's (50ml of absinthe to 3-4 parts of Toro Negro each) I won't prolly touch spumante, champagne, whatever again. Before DITA's I have drunk only half a bottle of Cabernet and 750ml of Martini Bianco, and after the second DITA I couldn't drink anything. And the next day I couldn't, either.

The first time I had one of these it was with Un Emile and Korbel... it was, in a word, blecchhh

However, I did not want to just give up on the idea, so I broke the bank a little bit and made one with White Star Moet and PF 1901. Wayyy wayyy better! A friend and I drank them until the Moet was pretty much kicked. Its easy to underestimate the amount of alcohol in there!

I haven't had the opportunity to make a DITA with a really high-quality (or even really mid-quality) champagne yet, but the two I've had that I like the most are Korbel Brut and Duplais Balance, and Korbel Brut Rose and Clandestine. I've been meaning to try a prosecco with something...

I've been invited to present some absinthes (guess which ones ;) at a tasting. I was asked about DITAs and what sparklies would go well. This thread is not a good omen. Especially the part about falling into juniper bushes. NYC doesn't have those, but they do have very fast moving yellow and black objects in the streets. I wouldn't want anyone to fall into one of those. I'm now Very Afraid. Very. :reaper:

Just don't louche at 4:1. That will kick butts and besides it tastes nasty anyway. Or allow repeated ingestion. Serve in very small portions. Then most attendees won't fall into the street at the end of the tasting. Get some friends and a variety of sparkling wines and play pairings. Find the right match and enjoy. :cheers:

Bottom line, this drink had to be created to make people falling down drunk. Perhaps the DITA is the ultimate, ultimate panty remover. Just sayin'.

And that brings us back to falling in the Juniper bushes.

Please excuse my n00bness here. I began reading this thread and found myself asking "What the hell is a DITA? ... Is it some drink named after Dita Von Teese?" .... I then used my great acronym finding skills and quickly realized it stood for Death in the Afternoon (DUH)..... So, this is how N00B I am.

I then began googling various DITA recipes. Only to find the brands seem to switch up...

Now, moving along to my question(s):

1. Is Death in the Afternoon a SPECIFIC absinthe + a specific champagne? OR is it any Absinthe+any champagne?

2. I noticed mention of Kübler + Martini & Rossi Asti .. Would this mean Martini & Rossi Asti + (any) absinthe = DITA?

My girlfriend wont even try Absinthe due to the strong Anise aroma... However, she is a M&R Asti hound... I think she may be attracted to such a drink.

This thread is not a good omen. Especially the part about falling into juniper bushes. NYC doesn't have those, but they do have very fast moving yellow and black objects in the streets.

HAHA

A DITA can be ANY absinthe and ANY sparkling white (As Far As I Know).

My initial experiments with Lucid and Cook's were pretty disastrous. However, as discussed in this thread, sweeter champagne makes a better match for absinthe. Although I find Lucid ok on it's own (depending on my palate that day), I'm not a big fan of it in most cocktails, as I feel a burnt sweatiness comes through (you may feel differently though).

I've had the best success with grape based absinthes, so that's what I'd recommend. In my own occasional DITA tinkerings, I found Obsello and Leopold Bros. in particular to make tasty pairings with decent sweet champagne.

I also agree with the opinion that a DITA or two will get you pretty inebriated.

My girlfriend wont even try Absinthe due to the strong Anise aroma... However, she is a M&R Asti hound... I think she may be attracted to such a drink.

"Such a drink" M&R Asti or "such a drink" DITA? She won't like the DITA if she is repulsed by the anise aroma.

"Such a drink" M&R Asti or "such a drink" DITA? She won't like the DITA if she is repulsed by the anise aroma.

Such a drink being DITA. I wouldn't say she is necessarily repulsed by the anise aroma. I feel she is drawn away due to the overbearing aroma of anise. I am not sure that she completely dislikes the anise smell but certainly doesn't seem to like the strong smell of it. If that makes sense.

I mentioned to her the concept last night and she seemed interested but is lacking funds for a bottle of M&R Asti... Perhaps I will pick her up some this weekend :cheers:

Gotcha. Well, maybe with a clothespin, she may like the taste?

I almost tried one of these last night, but chickened out. The it was a sparkling white, and heavy on the apple flavor.