beau_cauchemar

Death in the Afternoon: Revisited

I know that DITAs have been discussed before but I thought to update some impressions.

Basically, Kübler + Martini & Rossi Asti = A very drinkable/enjoyable way to reach the upper stratosphere quick. Think "Mountain Dew strapped to a rocketship." A few friends and I indulged in 3 or 4 of these and then put on Fear and Loathing. Can't remember when I've had such a great (read: intoxicating) time.

Just in case others have had bad experiences with other champagne brands/types, Asti is so far the hands-down best to use. Because let's face it, sometimes, just sometimes the French method needs a break.

-Beau

Edited by beau_cauchemar

My feeling, too. Maggie sez DITAs need cheap bubbly. The Asti is probably a good bet but I haven't had a sip of one that I was willing to follow with another sip. I think I'll hang with the cold spring water.

Funny thing is I've still never had a DITA. Since I never buy champagne anyway, after reading people's reports I haven't been curious enough to pick any up to try a DITA.

If you're using a drier champagne, a pinch of superfine sugar doesn't hurt.

edit - ...and yeah, not a cocktail to have if you are planning on driving.

BTW, it is also another of the cocktails sometimes referred to as a "Corpse Reviver." According to Colin Field's "Cocktails of the Ritz Paris" invented by Frank Meier at that bar during his tenure there.

~Erik

In my study and pursuit of the perfect DITA I have found that dry sparklers lead to a vile concoction, while a semi-sweet to sweet sparkler makes the drink a highly enjoyable beverage, which has in one instance led to my clutching the toilet and crying, but I digress.

My sparkling recommendations are to find a cheap bubbly (Ballatore or Asti Spumante, Cooks) that is at least semi-sweet to full on sweet (read Extra Dry, Sec, Demi-Sec, or Doux on the label). If you want to go for something a little more fancy that is still sweet enough for the drink to work, I highly recommend Saracco Moscato d'Asti. It runs about $17 a bottle, but it makes the best high class DITA around. And when you're paying top $ for the absinthe in it, why not splurge a little for the sparkling that makes up most of the drink? :cheers:

...Maggie sez DITAs need cheap bubbly....
:nono: I didn't say cheap! I said sweet! Like me. :devil:

In my study and pursuit of the perfect DITA I have found that dry sparklers lead to a vile concoction, while a semi-sweet to sweet sparkler makes the drink a highly enjoyable beverage, which has in one instance led to my clutching the toilet and crying, but I digress. :cheers:
What she said. I'm glad I only fell in the juniper bushes and lost my favorite sunglasses. I think I got off easier than the Doc. :wave2:

In my study and pursuit of the perfect DITA I have found that dry sparklers lead to a vile concoction, while a semi-sweet to sweet sparkler makes the drink a highly enjoyable beverage

And when you're paying top $ for the absinthe in it, why not splurge a little for the sparkling that makes up most of the drink? :cheers:

What Doc, said said.

What are you doing up at 3:59am!?!

BTW, in the name of full disclosure on the impact of excessive DITA ingestion on one's physical and mental state, the SO has asked that I add the following warning:

Ingesting more than 3 DITAs in an evening can result in laying on the bathroom floor while one's adorable little doggy takes advantage of one's leg, arm, head, etc. Also, you may find yourself asking for sweet death the following morning.

What are you doing up at 3:59am!?!

BTW, in the name of full disclosure on the impact of excessive DITA ingestion on one's physical and mental state, the SO has asked that I add the following warning:

Ingesting more than 3 DITAs in an evening can result in laying on the bathroom floor while one's adorable little doggy takes advantage of one's leg, arm, head, etc. Also, you may find yourself asking for sweet death the following morning.

First, if that time reference was in regards to me, the answer is because I am an overnight security guard with a lot of free internet time :)

Secondly, I do not understand this *common* inability to handle DITAs. I'm not trying to boast and am certainly not the fraternity type but I enjoyed 3 DITAs and 2 french methods in a matter of 4-5 hours and felt great the whole time. The next morning? My cold was still there (not a surprise) but woke up without hardly a hint of a hangover. You guys must be louching with meds and not sugar... just kidding :)

-Beau

P.S.

Another fellow NIN (fixedspiral) is always nice to see. Looking forward to the YZ followup.

Hey, Beau. She was referring to me. No worries, still the same.

Happy Holidays!

Well,

I took the advice and bought some Asti which is sweet.

So far I tried it with CLB wine base and it was pretty good.

Now, I'm drinking it with the Marteau and it is incredible!! :thumbup:

I guarantee if you use the Marteau you will not be disappointed.

Thanks again Hiram!

I used Sant'Orsola Asti.

Next, I'm going to try Sant'Orsola Brachetto D'acqui (which is red with the La Maitresse Rouge.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! :thumbup: :cheers:

Glad to hear you liked them. The better the absinthe, the better the DITA. I figured that out when I used the original Doubs to make one. :thumbdown:

I really do not enjoy the DITA. Tried once with Asti Martini but had to sink it. As T73 I prefer to mix my absinthe with spring water.

I'm surprised that so many people don't like them. I found it surreal, nothing like what I expected. The type of champagne we used escapes me right now, but I know it was Spanish, sweet, inexpensive and I think it was pink. You guys make me thirsty.

As an absinthe n00b, the idea of mixing it with anything other than ice water to me is scandalous... though it does kinda sound interesting.

I can just imagine how it tastes on the rebound though... :puke:

Cowbwoy, what do you think of the Risque? I've heard it is on the sweeter side (perfect for a DITA), but I'm wondering how it rates in general.