Sign in to follow this  
Zzz

Absinthe is now available 5 minutes away from me

BEVMO in Encinitas, CA now has both LUCID and Kübler. Lucid is around 64 bucks and the Kübler is around 53.

I bought the Kübler since I have not had it...

My review:

:yawn:

But at least its absinthe!

Blanchard's, at the corner of Brighton & Harvard Aves. in Allston, carries both Lucid and Kübler; there are two bottles of Lucid left in the case (I snagged the third), and the Kübler is on backorder. The manager said they were having difficulty keeping the Kübler in stock, both because of the length of time it takes to re-stock (3 weeks +) and because it's $7 cheaper than the Lucid (I bought my bottle for $62).

My store right down the road right outside st.louis, on the IL side has been getting lucid shipments rather regularly for a few weeks now. I think Im the only person around here that buys it, but all the better. Will have to mention the Kübler to the owner and give it a go.

Has anyone in the Washington, DC area seen Lucid or Kübler on ABC or liquor store shelves? Lucid's website does not specify any distribution in the DC area but also states that the list of vendors on their site is not exhaustive.

Though neither Lucid nor Kübler is a favorite, they have the virtue of being comparatively affordable (and reasonably drinkable, in my opinion). I'd like to know of a local source.

But perhaps DC is still in mail-order Limbo....

Edited by Marlow

It's very drinkable and the price makes it more so.

Especially while we wait for the latest and greatest (we hear rumors) to hit the market.

My answer is ...good value, for the time being.

I'd rather pay more for an absinthe I really enjoy, but, then again, I don't keep mediocre beer on hand either, so I guess I'm just a snob.

Hmm... Lucid at $64, and no shipping, huh?

Alright gang. I'll ask it. Good value on that deal, or not? I wanna hear opinions.

Good value? Yes, but Kübler is better in every way.

Hmm... Lucid at $64, and no shipping, huh?

Alright gang. I'll ask it. Good value on that deal, or not? I wanna hear opinions.

As absinthe prices go, I suppose; not many people who are willing to talk about it in any detail beyond snide remarks dislike it as much as I do. But thinking outside the absinthe world, how often do you pay $60 for a bottle of liquor? Do you ever do it for a mediocre product or a bad one, or even one that you're not reasonably certain you'd enjoy? I never do.

Good value? Yes, but Kübler is better in every way.

You are correct, sir. But even though it's cheaper than Lucid I don't feel that its price is justified either.

Lars, knowing you I don't think you would be happy with it. You must have missed the get-together when I brought my bottle. Yes, it's empty now but it won't be replaced.

As absinthe prices go, I suppose; not many people who are willing to talk about it in any detail beyond snide remarks dislike it as much as I do. But thinking outside the absinthe world, how often do you pay $60 for a bottle of liquor? Do you ever do it for a mediocre product or a bad one, or even one that you're not reasonably certain you'd enjoy?

Fair questions, all of these. I've recently read through a lot of the discussions of Lucid here, and I was surprised by how much some dislike it. I belong to the camp that finds it fairly enjoyable, but that said, I had a glass of Jade Edouard and one of Lucid in sequence last night (by way of an experiment), and certainly the former was far superior.

So, taken as given that Lucid is pretty good and not excellent, why pay $60+ per bottle for it? Only because it's not $120 per bottle, and because Lucid and Kübler are all we have here in the States (without resorting to "flying monkeys," of course). I am willing to drink a "pretty good" absinthe most of the time, if that lets me keep my finer absinthes for special occasions. Absomphe's point about mediocre beer is well taken, but on the other hand, really excellent beer, while more expensive, doesn't hit the wallet but so hard.

I will also confess to wanting to support Lucid because they were first to kick in the door here in the States. However, should it turn out, for example, that the St. George proves far superior, and if the St. George is distributed here in the east, I would likely make it my every-day drink.

On the subject of Lucid's own merits (or lack thereof), I find that more than other absinthes, Lucid benefits from sitting in the glass for a good while after the initial louching. The tail end of each glass tastes much better than the beginning, and I believe that to be more than just the influence of alcohol on the senses.

Edited by Marlow