sandpedlar

So, I've gotten the UE68, the VdF, what next???

:wub: Well,

I've gotten settled as well as can be expected here, aka I've found a place for OKAY beer until I find supplies and appropriate temps, gotten a swell garden put in and have made relative peace with the neighbors.

I am learning the history of the place and looking into a seat on city council(infinate wishes appreciated) in order to get this place into working, civilised order,which i am quite aware is unreachably ambitious.

As ya'll know(notice the use of quaint colloquialism)we are living here in dry, dusty, yet eerily,romantically lovely, west Texas. It is very quiet here. People wave while they drive, there is a thrift store called 'the gettin place', and once, we saw a man point at a "Don't mess with Texas", ie 'don't pollute', road sign and then hit it with a beer bottle, while driving.

My newest question as still quite the newb is what is next?

I have to say that much to the chargrin of others, I have thoughraly enjoyed the VdF, but not so much the UE, what do I pick next? Obviously the Jades are the clear champ, but which is to be had? What is my best next bet for the money, barring Jack's general, yet revered 'Burnt' label?

While I can appreciate the leniency provided me by this site re:grammer and spelling, I duly apologize for I am rather quite drunk.

Anyways, sober, reflective advice is much appreciated,

as always yours,

~sand

:heart:

Best current pick: Jade Eddie. If you don't want to spend that much, get the Kbler. Or, try the Amer 72 from the Frenchman. Everybody already knows I personally like Franois Guy, which also happens to be the most economical choice at $87 a full liter. The Amer is $82 for 750ml.

I'd second the "Kbler" if you don't want or can justify ($$) the Clandestine. I suppose it is just me and my lack of "palate training", but I've enjoyed most everything I've tried.

My biggest complaint is the terrific hit you take in shipping. After the first bottle (and ferocious shipping), I figured it made more sense to order several and have the shipping cost "amortized" across the lot.

Barring buying a "6-pack" of the same thing to economize on the courier and handling, what combo would be the best of quality and yet be easiest on the pocketbook? Or is it better to go for variety and shipping be damned?

[bTW, I considered ordering from Spain, but the shipping and handling from these "Fine" folks killed off all enthusiasm. Off to sulk...]

Obviously the Jades are the clear champ, but which is to be had?

That's a tough one. My favourite among the Jades is still Verte Suisse, but I can almost never drink it without feeling like pouring a glass of one of the others too. You'll probably have to find out the hard (well, at least pricey) way which one you'll like the best.

The Eddie currently available is a distiller's proof. Might be a reason to give that one first priority, as you'll get something to compare with the final product, when it arrives.

I very much like the NO. It taste like what VdF is trying to be. Of course I still like VdF so I think it would be a good pick for others that do as well. It's much smoother and a bit more complex. I don't think it's twice as good, but still good.

I thought so once.

I have to say the peach is better lately.

I also have to say I don't like peaches.

The NO is the worst of the Jades.

Backhanded compliment? Slam? A little of both?

Jack, you seem to be a most discriminating imbiber. Would you offer a ranking of absinthes (superior, palatable, ordinary, dreck... or whatever scale you prefer) in your experience. You've remarked on a number of products in your many posts here, but a concise list might be enlightening to us new folk. Especially the remote ones like myself who are trying to figure out what constitutes good from bad. Your reference to "burnt" absinthes is a good example. I am trying to bridge the verbal description with the taste itself. I know, there is no substitute for experience, but short of attending a WS event...

Anyone else want to chime in, please do.

Hilarious.

I think the all the Jades taste burnt initially. Upon opening, the NO in particular made me squint, though IMO it seems to subside about a month after opening. The mustardy taste stays there. I actually like that flavour, but it certainly is strange in an Absinthe, and most seem to be put off by it.