Wild Bill Turkey

St. George in the NYT

*bounces happily*

I'm so excited!

I was allowed a taste of the distiller's proof, a few weeks ago, but I had to swear to silence until the release was approved by the US gov't. For what it's worth, I've blogged about it here.

I'll post my 'official' review on 12/21, but the stuff's a winner, folks, trust me on this.

*happyabsinthedance*

- Johanna

That's the part that sucks about California law...they can't sell it directly to the consumer. It must go through a distributor. Considering wineries and breweries can sell directly but distilleries cannot screams "ginormous amounts of lobbying dollars" to my inner paranoid. That's why you don't see any "distillery pubs" in this state. Oregon, Idaho, sure...CA? Nope. Bastids.

This is absolutely not true.

You may have no idea how much this could potentially rock my socks.

(this is a good thing)

Several wineries and distilleries sell their grappa and other distilled spirits directly to the consumers, either through online stores or tasting room outlets. Bonny Doon springs to mind.

ROAD TRIP!!!

I do believe they need to have a different set of licenses and certifications to be able to serve booze at their tasting rooms than they do just wine, just as bars and restaurants do. Likely, the reason most do not, has to do with the cost more than anything else.

In theory, yes, but it contradicts everything that I've read in the CA laws regarding "tied house" laws and who can obtain licenses for which when (or if) one already has a license to do what, and what the (absurd) exceptions are. I fully concede not absorbing it completely and need to re-read. It's just that the verbage left me quite certain that multiple licenses were not possible...it was an either/or prospect.

But, Hangar One does has a store and tasting room, which serves and sells booze.

~Erik

Thanks for the heads up. I have homework now :)

Trid

Lance isn't a fly-by-night distiller, but somebody that really takes his craft seriously. I have a lot of respect for him and his products. I'm glad that he's finally been able to bring his product to market.

Seconded! Plus he and Jorg are darned nice guys to boot and I *barely* resent the hoover-job that gets done to my bank account every time I swing past the hangar. ;)

See you at the tasting room on the 21st, then? I'm dashing down to make my first purchase as soon as my abinsthe-minded pals get off work for the day...

- Johanna

They only have the tour on the weekends at 1:00PM, and I kind of want to take the tour, so I'll probably wait until 12/22.

According to their mailings, weekends in December, they're running shuttles between West Oakland BART and the distillery every hour on the hour.

~Erik

Hmmm...that being my 45th birthday, maybe someone will miraculously take pity on me and magically send me a glass direct from the hangar! ;)

edited for spelling

Wally's in Westwood said they would carry it. They also said Lucid wasn't doing well.

Did they have a guess when they would be getting some in?

-- T

Here's the latest from the Hangar One newsletter:

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte Released and Available for Sale December 21st

It seems only fitting that on this day 74 years ago, the 21st Amendment was ratified and Prohibition ended. Today we announce the sale of the first domestically produced absinthe since the ban in 1912, St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte!

St. George Spirits Absinthe Verte is made with fine brandy, star anise, mint, wormwood, lemon balm, hyssop, meadowsweet, basil, fennel, tarragon and stinging nettles. This infamous liquor reveals seductive flavors of anise complimented with sweet grassy tones, light citrus, white pepper, and light menthol notes.

It will be available for sale in the distillery store starting December 21st for $75 for a 750ml bottle.

To read more about the absinthe, see today's New York Times "Dining" section, and also on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle.

We cannot ship, but the following retail stores will have it for sale (and shipping) at the end of December:

Hi-Time Wines

K&L Wines

The Jug Shop

D&M Liquors

Wally's Wines & Spirits

We will be offering tastings of the absinthe starting the 21st in the tasting room for $10. We will open at 11am on Friday the 21st!

No shipments to flyoverland! Someone get DrinkupNY to carry it, or even LdF!

I'm sure one of us will pass that along to the staff on 12/21. They're keen on making sales, they is. ;)

- Johanna

The laws for distillers is different than for wineries and breweries. I don't know the specifics of the tasting room service but the sales do go through the full 3 tier system in CA. You can buy all the product from the tasting room but they have to go through the machinations of selling the liquor to their distributor and then buying it back from their distributor to be able to sell it to their customers. I am not sure if they need a package liquor license to do this or not. I do know that they have done everything necessary as I've purchased their good a number of times directly from the hanger.

I'm heading to Laguna for Christmas on Friday afternoon so I'll have to head over as soon as they open.

If they follow their usual pattern the tasting if free if you buy a bottle so I might just be waiting when they unlock the door.

The laws for distillers is different than for wineries and breweries. I don't know the specifics of the tasting room service but the sales do go through the full 3 tier system in CA. You can buy all the product from the tasting room but they have to go through the machinations of selling the liquor to their distributor and then buying it back from their distributor to be able to sell it to their customers.

I asked the St. G staff about the machinations required to sell through their tasting room and all I understood of the answer was "blahblahblah.... really expensive bond required" and "if you buy Hangar One, we have to run the purchase through *this* credit card machine and if you buy anything else, we have to ring it up separately on *this other* machine".

As I say, it's something to do with the nature of the bond that must be posted in order to sell in the vicinity of the distillery (ie, a very expensive one) which St. G's couldn't afford to do themselves, directly, but the owners of Hangar One (St. G produces Hangar One for them, but it's a separate corporate entity) *could* afford to post, so they did, but there's still weirdness about how the product is sold. It's very confusing. But as long as I can get the yummies, I really don't mind having to run multiple transactions...

I just buy the stuff and enjoy it. The rest is gravy.

- Johanna

I should proof read my posts better. "laws... is..." mismatch yuck.

St George's Absinthe is going to be on the 10 O'Clock news on Channel 2 in a couple minutes.

Lance has been working his ass off to get this "Verte" through the COLA for the better part of this year. I'm glad they pulled it off.

A friend and I visited the distillery back in July. I appreciate that he's got a very earnest and INDIVIDUAL approach to doing things. He's an experienced, practical, approachable, aware distiller, much as Jorg (who is an icon for those who follow craft-distilling). I wish them the best!

Just when I was starting to think that my affection for meadowsweet was misplaced and untenable. Come here, my little filipendula, it's time for another romp in the hot tub.

Here's the latest from the Hangar One newsletter:
...the following retail stores will have it for sale (and shipping) at the end of December:

Hi-Time Wines

K&L Wines

The Jug Shop

D&M Liquors

Wally's Wines & Spirits

Key of course is which of those will ship to "me"... so I spun through their sites to check their shipping policies:

Hi-Time Wines (http://www.hitimewine.net/)

Ships liquor to California only

K&L Wines (http://www.klwines.com)

WILL ship liquor to the following states:

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

The Jug Shop (http://www.jugshop.com)

WILL NOT ship liquor to the following states:

Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia, Washington.

D&M Liquors (http://www.dandm.com)

No shipping restrictions listed

Wally's Wines & Spirits (http://www.wallywine.com)

California listed as YES, all others as CALL

-Robert

DrinkUpNY thinks they'll have it by January or February.

That's good news. Can't beat that free shipping.

Thanks for checking.

That's a really cool little clip. Lance does a great job, and the reporter even seems to have most of the facts straight. I don't see how you get a "120 proof drink" out of 53 degrees though. ;)

In the Daily Californian:

“Vincent van Gogh was sort of a mess to begin with,” Winters said. “(Drinking absinthe) is sort of like an acid trip—you come out with what you take in with you.”

Winters said the buzz caused by absinthe has a more lucid quality than that of other kinds of alcohol.

“If you’re sitting down getting ready for midterms, it totally focuses you,” he said. “I would say that absinthe is the perfect study aid.”

I agree with him.

I tend to study my glass of absinthe a little more carefully than my other drinks, especially during the louching phase.

Agreed.

When I said I tend to study my absinthe a little more carefully than other drinks, I didn't mean with the balztrippin™ intensity that Carlos Castaneda studied his own hand. :twitchsmile: