nondual

Gift Absinthe?

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are determined to get a bottle of absinthe as a Christmas gift for her father. I'm torn over what to get. He's never had absinthe, but does drink Arak. I was going to go with LdF and a european absinthe 'box' (Fougerolles or Un Emile) gift set, but I've seen in the vendors site that you can get Lucid shipped free.

Is Lucid good enough? The cost of the European absinthes doesn't throw me off as much as the shipping or time it takes to get here this time of year.

My personal faves are Capricieuse, Duplais, and Eduard. I've never had Lucid. I think the bottle is tacky as hell, though. I had the Kübler 53 at 'Absinthe' in San Francisco and was unimpressed....that's the other Absinthe available from the US vendor...

If money isn't an issue, go with the ones you mentioned liking the most. LdF will get it to you in plenty of time. Lucid's bottle is pretty tacky especially compared to Eduard. I think Lucid is drinkable but not nearly as tasty as Capricieuse, Duplais or Eduard.

A gift of absinthe is terrific. I think I'd go with something you liked so you and the giftee could share opinions. Absinthe makes for wonderful conversation. Beats the hell out of politics.

Cheers!

Well, you'll have no problems whatsoever with shipping from LDF. They've only had a problem ONCE in their history that I can remember and it was last year during a huge surge in publicity due to being noted in the New Yorker as a premeir absinthe retailer on the internet. Other than that, they've been long time members of the Wormwood Society and their shipping record and customer service is perfect.

On that note...

I agree, Lucid is not an intraductory absinthe.

Kübler, on the other hand, is. If you want a simple, inexpensive and decent blanche for a first timer Kübler is fine, especially due to availability.

Regarding choices if you do go with importation I would suggest something easy on the tastes such as CLB (or your suggestions of Capricieuse and Duplais) and for a verte I would suggest the Verte de Fougerolles as a first. Heck, the LDF combo of the Blanche de Fougerolles and the VdF would be good too.

I wouldn't suggest any of the Jades because they can seem "funky" or "off" to newer absintheurs (not to mention the price).

Get him something easy and simple, see if he likes it. If so, then move up to the "better" (more complex) stuff.

Aaron

I could drink the Kübler 53 anytime. It's light, not terribly complex and the price is right.

If you don't care for it......PM me, I'll take it. :devil:

Kübler 53 is always on hand in my house and yes I've bought a few bottles. A very good introductory absinthe, Just my opinion.

Cheers!

The Kübler, especially the US version, isn't a big enough departure from his Arak to make the splash you want to make introducing him to absinthe. You want it to be green, and you want a good hit of wormwood to show him the difference.

I agree with everyone above. Shipping should only take 3-5 days. Worst case, maybe a full week. At least that has been my LdF experience.

At this time of year, LdF has taken three weeks! I state this from experience in 2006.

I ordered my Belle Ami on Sunday night, and it came early this afternoon. :thumbup:

Update: I just ordered some more cuz I have a feeling those 600 bottles won't last that long.

The Kübler, especially the US version, isn't a big enough departure from his Arak to make the splash you want to make introducing him to absinthe. You want it to be green, and you want a good hit of wormwood to show him the difference.

I agree with that, and having said that, Lucid is a fine introduction to absinthe. Jade-lite maybe, but price-right and here-today.

You want it to be green, and you want a good hit of wormwood to show him the difference.
Or you want it to be white and called Blanchette to show him the difference.

I suppose you're right, Speedle.

The problem for me is not that it's Jade-lite, it's that it's Jade lite, butt funkier.

Ya know, I just had a thought. What if, because all of the absinthe I've drank but one bottle has been Jade or Lucid, I accidentally believe that funky is the way its supposed to taste? And, that the one bottle of duplais that I really really didn't like, is the real deal? Such a nightmare! Now I'll need to spend lots more money on marteau and mystique to find out! :devil:

No one tell the wife, ok?

Eichelberger isn't a bad way to start. Or end... or anything in between for that matter.

These "next gen" absinthes are very good, you may want to get him one of those. The 1797 Roquette and the Marteau are quite tasty and I'm hearing wonderful things about the Belle Amie as well.

At this time of year, LdF has taken three weeks! I state this from experience in 2006.

3 days for the order of 3 bottles I just received today. Same with the 4 bottle order I did two weeks ago.

Eichelberger isn't a bad way to start. Or end... or anything in between for that matter.

These "next gen" absinthes are very good, you may want to get him one of those. The 1797 Roquette and the Marteau are quite tasty and I'm hearing wonderful things about the Belle Amie as well.

Ike gave me such bad heartburn each and every time I drank it that I will never buy it again. It's the only absinthe thus far that has shot flames up my throat....

I'd LOVE to get him some Cap, but I dunno if I can get the girlfriend onboard.

Well if your experiences have been bad with it I certainly wouldn't get it again either. I've given it to several noobs and they liked it. It remains one of my favorites.

The Capricieuse & Clandestine are both good blanches, but I'd go with a traditional verte for a first timer to introduce the green fairy to them. Your call though.

These next gen offerings are really, really good thus far. I love the 1797 Roquette & Marteau. Next weekend I break into the Mystique, Belle Amie, & La Maitresse Rouge. Progress is being made.

LdF will get it to you in plenty of time. Lucid's bottle is pretty tacky especially compared to Eduard. I think Lucid is drinkable but not nearly as tasty as Capricieuse, Duplais or Eduard.

The Edouard is good, too. :)

Whatever you order, if done so within the next few days, should arrive on time and, most importantly, without incident. My prediction. ;)

I'll let you know when my order arrives. I ordered Last Thursday I believe and plan on making another order Wednesday. (my allowance day) Precious is tough on me. ;)

Cheers!

Technically, OMG, you can order all at once and save on shipping. More money means more business and, based on my experience, you can get above the written "threshold" per order. ;)