ejellest

Absinthe Service in US Bars

I was at a new bar/restaurant in Oakland (Flora) the other day and noticed they had one of the art deco lady Absinthe fountains on the bar.

I asked the bartender if it was just a decoration or if they were planning on offering Absinthe service.

He said he had purchased a number of Absinthe fountains for the bar in anticipation of the upcoming Hangar One/St George Absinthe. Unfortunately, the Hangar One Absinthe appears to be stuck in label approval purgatory.

Hopefully, as Kübler and Lucid become more widely available in CA, he'll get to offer Absinthe service with those.

My first sighting of a bar intending to offer actual Absinthe service with fountains and all.

Has anyone else seen bars with fountains?

~Erik

Hell, my porch has been offering absinthe service for years. Screw US availability...

I know of a restaurant chain in Florida that's preparing an absinthe service program, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name names.

If they serve up them tasty 'gator nuggets, then they're bound to be a big hit.

Nuthin' goes with absinthe like gator! :thumbup:

You mean, like you've been approached on the street by these mysterious investors?

It's true! All I have to do is cash a small overseas check and they will advance thousands of dollars into my account!

It seems like investors are really counting on absinthe catching on. These are indeed exciting times.

I'm not so sure. It may lead to absinthe being chronically unavailable, like me clicking on LDF every day to see if they restocked their PF1901 and VS.....

:blowup:

Kobe Club in NY hauls out a fountain, Lucid glasses and a spoon for an $18 ritual. I'm headed to NY soon but I won't be going there as I'd rather pick up a bottle and do my own ritual at home. I finally tried Lucid and must say I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was a little disappointed with the US Kübler but will reserve judgement until I try it back-to-back with the European version soon.

Were they Nigerian, by any chance? :devil:

'

Did they contact you too? What are the odds? I'm buying some 24" spinner rims for my saturn when I get that payoff.

I'm buying some 24" spinner rims for my saturn when I get that payoff.

They didn't offer you much of a payoff, apparently.

I'm buying myself an absinthe distillery. :yahoo:

Ordered a Kübler in a Boston Bar (Cambridge to be precise),

came with a glass dripper full of ice and an absinthe drenched sugar cube,

the waitress then produced a book of matches.

I nearly screamed, then asked for a cup of water.

Seems to be the Boston norm though,

just another reason to dislike this town.

I have a feeling I won't be seeing any in Minnesota. Our liquor laws/bar scene is very puritanical here. No wine in grocery stores, no sales on Sundays, early liquor store closing, etc. I guess I just need to take a vacation.

...absinthe drenched sugar cube,

the waitress then produced a book of matches.

I nearly screamed, then asked for a cup of water.

Did she scream when you threw it on her?!

:thumbdown:

Er, I mean-- did you set them straight?

Edited by salsa

I tried,

I overheard the bartender describing how to prepare it to another customer

"burning the sugar makes it taste better",

followed by groans after tasting it,

I gave up.

Don't worry Pete, I'm sure we will get some eventually. The people at Surdyk's told me that they would probably be getting some absinthe by the end of the year. I don't know if they have any yet though.

I know a few people that work there. Yes, they will carry Absinthe when it is ready for local distribution. Zipp's is another shop in town with plans to stock Absinthe.

Zipp's on Franklin?

On an unrelated note, Deluge is that you playing the banjo? I'm a guitar/mandolin player myself; i do a lot of folk and old time/americana stuff.

Edited by Pistol Pete

It probably won't be here in New Mexico for quite a while. A couple of the liquor store owners that I mentioned it to took interest while another owner told me that Absinthe would make me hallucinate and kill me. Yep. I guess it also has to pass state regulation before liquor store owners can get it though.

The people at Surdyk's told me that they would probably be getting some absinthe by the end of the year.

I talked to the people at Haskell's and they were at least interested.

Some of the stores I go to don't seem to be the least bit interested.