dakini_painter

The Perfect Fountain?

To buy the "Versinthe" fountain, or not  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mention of the "must maligned" Versinthe fountain, led me to search for one as I lack a fountain. FSC seems to have a new model described as

This fountain, made by Liquoristerie de Provence with a new design will allow you to feel the full drinking ritual.

I know there will be jokes about feeling the effects of the drinking ritual, but that's part of the fun.

post-685-1196078339.jpg

At $65 it seems like a good price. So what do y'all think, should I splurge, and join the ranks of the fountain anointed?

Ok, I was the jackass who voted not to get it because it isn't useful for flaming absinthe...I couldn't resist.

On that note, it seems to be a decent deal for $65. My only question would be what size the reservoir is. It looks to be only about one liter, and if that's true you'll get about two or three glasses out of it before you have to refill it (depending on the ice level). So if you're planning on filling up multiple glasses at a get together, or you are planning on coming home and endulging for an evening, you might want a bigger one.

Other than that it looks nice. Why don't you buy it and tell us!

This place has a nice selection at reasonable prices for fountains with plastic spigots. I have no idea how they are about shipping though, it's a very short drive for me.

I'd ignore the glasses, they're thin and chintzy. And the bonques are, well, bonques.

This was my first fountain. I found it to be very short and extremely delicate. The only traditional glasses that will fit under its spigots are the blown Pontarlier Glasses. All the others are just a bit too tall to fit under it. Plus, I was always afraid of breaking the glass whenever I put ice in it. Earlier this year I decided I was sick of using this fountain and broke down and bought a real fountain from the French Man.

My clumsy attempts with fountains have been well documented. Fragile things do not last long around me. I would bet, Dakini is much better working with delicate things than I.

It looks to be only about one liter, and if that's true you'll get about two or three glasses out of it before you have to refill it

2-3 glasses before you refill 1 liter?

Now show me the tankard glass you're using :dev-cheers:

Ok, yeah, my idea of "one glass" is like other peoples' two, haha. :devil:

Plus I like my water *ice* cold, so I normally (out of one liter, if I owned a one liter fountain) would fill it well over half way with ice on a night when I knew I'd be having more than one drink so it keeps it really cold for a longer period of time (without my lazy ass having to get up and get more water or ice).

My fountain, which I bought from the site I linked to above, is fairly sturdy, one-piece construction. The height is perfect for my torsade and "devil" glasses (slightly taller than the torsade). Well, I don't have any nifty bistro coasters for my glasses, and that's just about any excess room I might have under the spigots. Mine has 4 spigots and a nifty lid that indents to hold my spoons (just have to make sure they're not going to drip sugar-water droplets in to the inaccessible depths of it). I'm really happy with it. The spigots are a bit low rent, but highly adjustable and perfectly functional. And it was dirt cheap. Really cheap. Factory cheap. Which is what it is. PM me and I'll see what I can do if you need help.

Ok, yeah, my idea of "one glass" is like other peoples' two, haha. :devil:

Are you tallkin' to me?...are you talkin' to me??...are you talkin' to me???

I didn't think so. :tongue: :cheers:

I've posted my 2 cents about this fountain already, but I'll add this, while Derrick is right that many glass designs are too tall to fit under the taps comfortably, I disagree about it being delicate. It's survived at least a dozen trips in my backpack to odd destinations. It seems like it should be delicate, but in fact I read about Frenchman fountains breaking all the time, and I don't recall a single story about this one being broken.

It seems like it should be delicate, but in fact I read about Frenchman fountains breaking all the time, and I don't recall a single story about this one being broken.

Ok, I'll give you credit for that. I guess it has the perception of being delicate since it is made of thin glass. Mine actually has survived a few knock-overs that I was certain would break it. Also, I too have heard several reports of the Frenchman fountains breaking. However, the glass on mine must be at least a 1/4 inch thick and I can't imagine it breaking easily. I have the 2 spigot version. I think the 4 spigot ones have much thinner glass and you have to do a complete disassembly to clean them.

I remember the days when there were no fountains, except for antique ones.

I've had one for about five years now, it's traveled quite a bit over the years, it's handy for times when you don't want to use one of the large fountains.

I bought a glass candle base, and epoxied three Plastruct hemi-heads on the bottom, to raise the fountain to use with taller vintage glasses. (All for under ten bucks)

base.jpg

bottom.jpg

smfountain.jpg

Wow, that's really slick! I especially like the cap you put on the fountain. I have a heck of a time keeping the dust out of mine. What did you use for the cap?

The cap is nice but I really like those glasses. :)

I have a couple of nice glasses here and there. I think I've added a couple since this picture.

AbsintheCabinetcopy.jpg

Really nice, Impy!

But here's what's troubling me...four pics, and no bottle of 30s-40s Herbsaint anywhere in sight, so I have to ask...who are you? :tongue:

Dang, you folks aren't hardly any help at all.

I'm sure a Czech fountain would be cheaper, but I worry about a fellow WS member visiting someday (it could happen you know) and laughing at me with choice comments like:

"So that's how you put out the fire, with little dribbles of water."

I worry about shipping too. But if it was only 500 koruna, that's only $28...

I'm not so keen on the idea of making one. Somethings I am good at making, but when it comes to mechanical things I tend to be very slow.

While I might be very good with delicate things, I have the two cats and two large dogs to worry about. They are simply terrible with delicate things.

I'm so indecisive. Probably because I really want

post-685-1196125576.jpg

but that's waaaaay outside the budget. If there was a budget for absinthe items at all.

I guess I'll continue to window shop.

But the discussion is going very well right now, so please continue!

But here's what's troubling me...four pics, and no bottle of 30s-40s Herbsaint anywhere in sight, so I have to ask...who are you? :tongue:

I keep all those in the vault.

I have something from the very early days of Legendre, coming in the mail soon..... :devil:

Initially I was going to go with "DP should make her own fountain," but after reading your reply to that idea, I support you in diving in a buying this one. There are just those times when you gotta go for it. Post pics of your first time with it! :cheers:

Home made fountains could be sloppy. Unless you have some 'skills' it wont look like something from a Parisienne store window. I am always on the lookout for a two robinette fountain but 'plastic' robinettes. NO no no - that will not do!!!

Sir, you clearly have not seen my lovely DIY fountain. I'm sure people that have been over at SoCal Deux can attest to it's beuaty and functionality! And my DIY skills are not great. (Of course, I did have the holes in glass drilled by the glass shop down the street - but Doc drilled her own holes!)

Home made fountains could be sloppy. Unless you have some 'skills' it wont look like something from a Parisienne store window. I am always on the lookout for a two robinette fountain but 'plastic' robinettes. NO no no - that will not do!!!

Please do excuse me

With the best hole-drilling advice, it CAN be done. :wave2: OMG Bill! Which reminds me that if I ever figure out how to downsize my pic files of my fountain in action I will post the finished product in use. Until then, you can check out my MySpace avatar.