gfpoet

Belle Amie

Was wondering if the people who have tried the Belle Amie prefer it with sugar? I generally don't use sugar, but with it being an Amer I thought perhaps it may benefit from some. The only Amer I've had thus far is the Lemercier and I thought it certainly benefited from a cube.

Amer is deceptive as a descriptor. It means bitter but only regards thujone content, which doesn't affect bitterness. Except in the case of Lemercier, which is not an amer as distilled, but becomes one by the addition of wormwood oil, which is bitter.

I never use sugar, and I think the complexity of Belle Amie rounds out the flavor enough that sugar is unnecessary, however, there is a reasonably hefty dose of fragrant wormwood in the finish, so you might want to try a glass with sugar, if you're so inclined.

The Belle amie is Awesome!! Especially without the sugar just the way I like it. B)

I'm definitely going to have to order another bottle and soon!!! :thumbup:

Was wondering if the people who have tried the Belle Amie prefer it with sugar? I generally don't use sugar, but with it being an Amer I thought perhaps it may benefit from some. The only Amer I've had thus far is the Lemercier and I thought it certainly benefited from a cube.

BB (Before Belle Amie) I never use sugar, but I actually bought a box of cubes to have with this absinthe. I find it makes the wormwood more fragrant but much more subtle, while highlighting the fennel only slightly more than without sugar. I taste very little green anise with or without, but like Absomphe, I bloody love it.

I think I prefer it without sugar though. :cheers:

Oh, the green anise is detectable, alright, but I think it's slightly masked by a very mild vegetal characteristic that may be chlorophyll.

Donnie Darko, over at Fee Verte, thinks it may be slightly over-colored, and I agree with him, although the recipe he suspects it's taken from actually calls for that amount of coloration, so go figure. :twitchsmile:

Oh, the green anise is detectable, alright, but I think it's slightly masked by a very mild vegetal characteristic that may be chlorophyll.

So chlorophyll by itself can mask flavors now?

:devil:

So chlorophyll by itself can mask flavors now?

:devil:

Hell yeah...the last time I chewed on a few leaves before drinking Elixier, the stuff ended up tasting like a Berger clone! :devil:

Yeah I don't expect it to resemble the Lemercier in any way, shape, or form from what I hear actually. And I don't expect it to be overly bitter at all. I certainly could have worded that better. I'm mostly wondering if it will benefit with sugar based on the description on LDF...

"Herbaceous and refreshing at the same time, it really shines when a sugar cube is slowly dissolved in the deep, olive-coloured liquid."

Of course I will experiment myself and try it both ways, was just trying to get a first opinion from others. I expect it to be delicious both ways.

The important thing is to louche it very slowly, and with really cold water...it's an amazing flavor, but not a very thick louche, so you'll want to squeeze all the mouth-coating goodness you can out of this beuaty by letting the louche develop as deliberately as possible.

Yeah I'm actually borderline obsessive about making sure everything is as cold as humanly possible, so that's no problem for me. I even freeze a marble to put over my dripper hole then put crushed ice on top of that. Keep my water in the freezer until it's mostly frozen. I figure if I'm gonna fork over that kind of money for the drinkage, I'm sure as heck gonna prepare it proper.

I even freeze a marble to put over my dripper hole...

That sounds a little kinky for my taste, but whatever floats your boat, TH. :tongue: :cheers:

you'll want to squeeze all the mouth-coating goodness you can out of this beauty by letting the louche develop as deliberately as possible.

Abs, tell the truth. Did you work for a phone sex line in a previous life? ;)

Also the monkies have my B.A. held hostage so I'm all hot-n-bothered until tomorrow.

Good thing they didn't get their furry little hands on your PhD, then. :tongue:

As to the phone sex gig, who said it was in a previous life? :devil:

I even freeze a marble to put over my dripper hole...

That sounds a little kinky for my taste, but whatever floats your boat, TH. :tongue: :cheers:

Well I guess I left myself wide open for that one.

Wait a second... that didn't sound good either.

Just indulged in the Belle Amie for the first time tonight. Wow! It is everything you said it is Abs. It's without any doubts the best absinthe I've had, and perhaps the tastiest beverage period I've ever had. I really can't believe how good it is.

I'm going to take more precise notes the next time I taste it and write a review. Tonight I was more interested in just drinking the stuff.

Heure Verte you have created a masterpiece in my humble opinion.

My Belle Amie and Doubs Mystique arrived yesterday together with a couple of new absinthe spoons. Im very excited :thumbup: . From all the reviews I have a feeling those two will be among my favourites. I wonder how they'll compare to my current favourite, which is Jade Edouard 72. Well, I should have an answer very soon :cheers: .

I did try the Belle Amie both with and without sugar. While it is delicious both ways, I just can't see rounding out that wonderful wormwood and making it blend in with the other flavors. It is meant to stand out on it's own. I most definitely prefer it without, as I do pretty much every absinthe with 1-2 exceptions.

I just can't get enough of this stuff. I just ordered another bottle last week. I vow to let at least one of these suckers age.