ShaiHulud

New LDF spoons

Besides, if you want the romance, atmosphere and what not, from the "belle epoque", why not just buy antique spoons instead? Problem solved.

All of us aren't as rich as you.

I for one would be very disappointed to get my spoons and then find out that LDF plus a url is printed on them. Of course they have to promote their site, company and so on, but atleast they can make it clear on the site that they do so on their spoons.

Cirque du Soleil is tha best! :sp_ike:

I've got a couple of old spoons that I found in Pontarlier - each cost me less than a Frenchman repro.

But then again, I had to go to Pontarlier. And at least one of them is probably a fake.

Personally, I wouln't mind a URL on a modern repro spoon. The internet plays after all a crucial role in the current absinthe renaissance.

I heard back from LDF

"i am sorry you were disappointed with the stamping on the spoons, you are the

first to complain about it. i will make a point of noting that they are marked

on the website.

concerning using new absinthe paraphernalia as opposed to antiques, we thought

it would be a natural transition from original publicity spoons and other items

which most likely would have had a web-site address on them, had that form of

commerce existed in the past.

i would like to make this up to you but am a bit confused as you said you could

not use the four spoons because they were marked with the web-site address. did

you receive four etoilles spoons or two etoilles and two les fleches? the

reason i ask is that only the etoilles are supposed to be stamped with the

web-site address and no other model, nor were we ever planning to mark any other

model as such."

Nice reply, again showing the quality of LDF. When I responded to the above, I told them about our discussion and split response and invited them to view.

Hiram is right that it is the type of promotion that bothered me. The url stamped down the handle just seemed very tacky to me. If it had been "Liquers de France" in a cool font it would have been very different. I guess its the vintage looking spoon with very modern advertizing that bothered me. I would be ok with a modern looking spoon with modern looking ads or vintage looking spoon with vintage ads. And, of course, if I had the money I would buy all vintage stuff.

Well, my wife likes the "pretty stars" and its a small price to pay for getting her to drink absinthe with me... if you know what I mean.

BTW, the spoon issue has been resolved for me by LDF. They continue to be a pleasure to do business with.

I find LDF to be one of the best businesses I've dealt with, including non-absinthe related businesses. It's all about old-fashioned customer satisfaction. You can't buy that kind of advertising. I'm also happy they've expanded their selection a bit more.

I'm weighing in a bit late in this thread but count me as one of the romantics. If you are going to advertise to me, at least let me know that it's happening. My aesthetic requires that anything labeled "reproduction" at least follows an original design, i.e. company name rather than URL and engraving over inking.

I do agree with Hiram that LdF is one of the best outfitters and feel they listen to their customers. Honest presentation may seem a minor issue but I'm less likely to trust something I see on the internet. This story makes me less likely to make a purchase of spoons at LdF, although I already have my spoon needs met and am more likely to just purchase liquor again.

the LDF web-site has been changed (since about two days after the original post on this thread) to indicate that two spoon types, toiles and fleches (and only these two - it was supposed to be only one type, but the supplier made a mistake and marked both types) are engraved with 'www.absintheonline.com'.

Like many others, one of the things I appreciate about absinthe is the time period it evokes.  I enjoy pouring good absinthe from a beautiful bottle over an eligant spoon into a pontarlier glass and then setting a chrystal fountain to drip.  I do not want a gaudy www.absintheonline.com ruining the effect.  I do not mind the tastefull LDF on the underside but, my God, a web address down the stem of an Absinthe spoon?

A little late to comment on this one, but what the heck?

I, too, am in the "Romantic" category with you. One of the many draws that absinthe has to me is the idea that I'm in some way connecting with a history that was nearly forgotten for almost a century. No, what we have today isn't quite what Wilde may have sipped but it's the idea behind it all that's appealing.

I may be a newbie, but I take my absinthe seriously. On a day that I decide I'll have some absinthe I don't even drink anything but water. My taste-buds are still in the learning phase and thus far I can distinguish the anise and fennel in the absinthe, but not much more. I've even gone so far as to take advice given to me on the La Fee Verte forum and bought the various herbs (anise, star anise, fennel, hyssop...no wormwood, though) at the local herbal store and smell and taste them before tasting the absinthe to train myself to pick out the scents/flavors.

I wait until a time in the evening when I'm sure I'll be undisturbed and I pour the absinthe for that evening into a Pontarlier or other absinthe-style glass (my collection is small but growing), get a fresh spoon out and go through the ritual. I sit fascinated as the oils come out of solution and the louche forms. And only after I've taken in the scent and sat down at my favorite spot in the front room do I have the first sip...

In addition to everything reputable about absinthe that I could find on the internet, I also read Phil Baker's The Book of Absinthe to read about the history of the drink as well as the famous faces who imbibed way back in the Belle Epoche. Again, just the idea that we are somehow connecting with them as well as reviving and carrying on a tradition in their stead appeals to me.

So, yes, I think I fall into the Romantic category.

(By the way, also a HUGE Dune fan, ShaiHulud!)

A little late to comment on this one, but what the heck?

So, yes, I think I fall into the Romantic category.

(By the way, also a HUGE Dune fan, ShaiHulud!)

It is never too late to agree with me!!

I just noticed today that LDF is offering silver plated spoons now. And they are out of BdF, Vdf, and Edouard. :o