ShaiHulud

New LDF spoons

Tacky? You all are completely insane!!! etc...

Actually, now that I think about it, you're right Jack.

Wow, how many times does that happen on an absinthe forum?

With apologies to (at least some of) the rest of you, I'm with ShaiHulud. If I want commercial labels on everything, I'd ask for them. If I pay for conventional spoons, by ghod, that's what I expect in the shipping box. Personally, I prefer the labels on the bottles, on the serving trays, etc... not on the glasses or spoons. Then again, I don't use the spoons for myself (no sugar for me, sir!). But for guests and friends, I want to use a combination that suits the event. The guzzlers and subscribers to "Modern Drunkard" won't care, but when it comes to first impressions, I'd rather not roll out the tacky and commercially blunt-ware.

If I want product placement (in places I don't want), I'll go to the movies.

By the way, the idea of the red glasses, doesn't seem so bad if you are serving "Serpis", but then again, how would you know? That "red-on-red" thing leaves me knackered, just thinking about it.

I suppose a web site on the spoon isn't any less authentic than an abstract Green Man grille. While I don't mind the "French Man" stamped on my spoon from Phil, anything less discreet I can see as being bothersome. Of course I'm one of those types that actually listens to 19th century French music when drinking Absinthe. It's different for social settings, obviously, but on my own I have no trouble happily living in the past.

I like collecting and drinking from vintage absinthe glasses and the related hardware, and listen to wax Edison cylinders by candle light, but I balance it out by wearing a tacky aloha shirt when I drink...:P

This may be something that all of you have already known but it was a shock for me when I opened my flying monkey delevered pakage yesterday.  I sent the following e-mail to LDF.

"I just received my latest order from LDF and once again I am very pleased with your product and service. 

I was very dissappointed, however, to find that the $40.00 worth of absinthe spoons I had ordered to broaden my set were all stamped allong the stem with your URL. 

Like many others, one of the things I appreciate about absinthe is the time period it evokes.  I enjoy pouring good absinthe from a beautiful bottle over an eligant spoon into a pontarlier glass and then setting a chrystal fountain to drip.  I do not want a gaudy www.absintheonline.com ruining the effect.  I do not mind the tastefull LDF on the underside but, my God, a web address down the stem of an Absinthe spoon? 

I have ordered the spoons from you before and have never seen an announcement or warning that they had changed.  I have an absinthe tasting comming up and can not use these four new spoons now as they will ruin the effect.  It is like expecting dinner at a period decorated, fine French restaurant and ending up at Hooters.  I suppose I had come to expect a different standard from LDF."

FWIW, I guess if you want period looking spoons don't order them from LDF.

P.S. no offense to Hooters lovers

Please let us know what LDF's response is.

I found that song in my iTunes at work and suddenly I'm singing the english version to it.

So I did a little research and well there you are.

Ya know when that shark bites, with his teeth, babe

Scarlet billows start to spread

Fancy gloves, though, wears old MacHeath, babe

So theres nevah, nevah a trace of red.

Havent heard back from LDF yet but I'll let you know what they say.

My wife and I like listening to the soundtrack from Total Eclipse when we drink absinthe. We tried to watch a cirque de soleil show while dringking last night but it was too freeky. That stuff is all ready absinthified.

No you don't.

I'd have to drink all your booze first.

I have recent experience with this.

It wasn't pretty.

All sweaty palms and twitching.

How can one really be that bothered about some publicity on a spoon!?

Would it have bothered you just as much if it was publicity for Jade Absinthe or Paul Devoille Absinthe or anyting like that?

Besides, if you want the romance, atmosphere and what not, from the "belle epoque", why not just buy antique spoons instead? Problem solved.

Of course, there's publicity spoons from that era as well. Just be sure not to pick up one of the many pastis spoons...

Would it have bothered you just as much if it was publicity for Jade Absinthe or Paul Devoille Absinthe or anyting like that?

Yes.

Because the picture of what is being sold is not what is being delivered.

I believe this is more about misrepresentation than advertising on the spoon.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think Big Worm's objection was to the type of promotion, and I agree, to an extent. A web address looks kind of cheesy to me. I could see putting it on the underside of the stem and "Liqueurs de France" on the top.