Poor

Lucid Hits Chicago

Great point, Dakini!

T, I'll give you a different kind of example here:

Back in '72 my dad bought a new 280 SE 4.5 and spent more on maintenance to keep it running than what he paid for it. Just because it was a Mercedes made with fine parts does not make it exempt from mechanical woes. In the 80's, he bought a Vanden Plas and although he didn't have as many problems, he had more than his share. Just because it was a Jaguar does not make it a good car (especially during that time when they were notorious for having many problems).

Lucid is valid but not for everyone. I like Ted's products but this one escapes me. It is the sum of its parts and, as stated before, near mediocrity in taste. Maserati is valid but very temperamental. This, in my opinion, renders the brand near mediocrity in drive/ride, regardless of how well they're made.

See the taste = drive/ride correlation?

Okay, not the best example but I tried.

What remains to be seen is what happens after Lucid and Kübler fill the store shelves, and all the forum folk who want a bottle (or three) have them. Will they sit there gathering dust?
Personally, I think we "forum folks" are insignificant to this equation. Lucid is already getting air play. The press is catching on and writing better articles with more frequency. A bigger segment of the public is going to buy these brands. And then, I think the question is how many become repeat customers? And further, as more brands enter the marketplace how is that going to sort out? Will competition, or inferior products, bring the price down leaving more expensive bottles to gather dust? Lots of questions, actually. Few of them have to do with the influence of the "forum folk," I think.

Well, MPC, I can't fault you at all for have differing tastes than I do, so no offense taken there, I only got a little overly riled at the mediocrity comment. Up too late I guess, sorry.

As for you Peridot, I'm glad you don't get your hackles up when I make Duplais comments, it's just the way things are. Have you considered that your bottle of Lucid was out of whack somehow compared to the majority of them?

When I get my next bottle of it, I hope it tastes exactly as average as the first one did. Jade-lite, and not at all unclean, just lighter and thinner than I was used to. Of course, it went twice as fast that way too, thus making it somewhat less of a bargain.

That's what I like about this place, we all can agree, disagree, what have you, and it's all good. Cheers! :cheers:

PS, I haven't had much luck with automotive analogies, nor stereophonic ones. You can only try.

The sample I tasted came from T73 and he found nothing wrong with the bottle from which it came. I also tried a sample Shabba brought to HANII because I did think there might be something wrong with my sample. But it was exactly the same. To me it only barely resembles any Jade. The absinthe it tastes most similar to in my opinion is Partisane, except the wormwood and colour are better.

Tastes are all different. Donnie Darko at FV thinks Lucid blows K53 out of the water and he thinks the latter has an unpleasant, funky smell of tails. I don't smell that, and the US K53 tastes considerably cleaner to me than the Euro version. On the other hand, I think Lucid is one of the most unclean absinthes I've ever had. My girlfriend found the flavour almost nauseating and thought it tasted like floor cleaner and fish. I don't taste either of those things but I've seen "tastes like fish" comments from a few other people. So we all have different susceptibilities to different flavours.

I've enjoyed all the Jades in the far distant past. The lucid still has something in common with the Jades and I believe it's a bit of funk. Hard for me to describe. It's tolerable.

As for the K53 and Lucid comparison.....it's day and night.

The lucid to me is more earthy or herbal maybe even gritty where the K53 is crisp and clean.

Bear in mind I haven't had either of these for quite sometime.

I always thought the K53 would be a good "everyday" drink and the Lucid would be for newbies.

What I like about them both is that they can be had legally at a lower cost and that works for me in an introductory way. Most everyone I sip with in my state is new to absinthe. It's easy to explain there are better and seriously far worse absinthes available.

Sorry I got carried away. JMHO

Cheers!

What remains to be seen is what happens after Lucid and Kübler fill the store shelves, and all the forum folk who want a bottle (or three) have them. Will they sit there gathering dust?

Personally, I think we "forum folks" are insignificant to this equation. Lucid is already getting air play. The press is catching on and writing better articles with more frequency. A bigger segment of the public is going to buy these brands. And then, I think the question is how many become repeat customers? And further, as more brands enter the marketplace how is that going to sort out? Will competition, or inferior products, bring the price down leaving more expensive bottles to gather dust? Lots of questions, actually. Few of them have to do with the influence of the "forum folk," I think.

Well, of course we want to think we have some influence....

Look, if Binny's is all sold out of their first shipment of Lucid already, it ain't just us here buyin' it. Someday maybe that'll be Marteau, or Mystique, or Jade Edouard, or the like. If we live to see that day!

My girlfriend had the same reaction to Lucid that Peridot's did. I think that sometimes it's helpful to hand a glass of absinthe to someone who isn't passionate about it like I am. They have no stake in their opinion of any particular brand so I think they tend to be more objective.

I've gone on record saying that I don't care for Lucid but like Peridot I want to be clear that it has nothing to do with the maker. I like Jade and appreciate the things that Ted has accomplished. I also hold out some hope that Lucid will evolve a little after a few more batches.

Did you hear that POP a few minutes ago?

That was my Absinthe cherry.

After impatiently smoking my way through my breaks at work I finally clocked out and jetted to the Binnys around the corner. I walked into the empty store a half an hour before closing time. The Tijuana Brass were drizzling out of the ceiling speakers with lo-fi majesty. I walked briskly to the grody ethnic liquor cordial isle and found the green eyes staring at me from the middle shelf I had found them at yesterday. The six verdant black bottles seemed to huddle uncomfortably together, seeking solace from the Absente boxes on one side and the Pernod on the other. I liberated the bottle that called to me the loudest and silently apologized to the remaining five, vowing to return.

I half hoped the girl behind the counter would comment on my purchase, but she rang up my purchase with the same zeal that she would have for a simple purchase of Dr. Mcgillicutty by a cargo pant wearing frat boy on the turps. I doubled my pace both in my walk to my auto and on my drive home. I could yet even hear it! Through the very trunk liner! The beating of the hideous bottle!

I arrived home at thirty past nine, the prying eyes peaking from the corner of my satchel. I shed my hat and overcoat, along with it the chill of the crisp autumnal air. The call was so strong at this time. I removed the bottle from my carryall and placed it on the smoked glass table before me. Next to it, a tinted glass goblet I procured for a pittance from some crumbling, forgotten five and dime. I told myself that I would wait until the stroke of ten, to make it taste that much sweeter for want. The bottle sat, looking at me, into me. I decided to keep myself busy with poncey preparation.

I placed a bottle of spring water into the Frigidaire to be cooled in time for the great moment. I activated my laptopic-computer device and arranged a tasteful mixture of music from artists such as Tom Waits, Jason Webley, Datarock, and DragonForce. It was when I had finished and actuated the play automation mechanism that I felt a pull, yet stronger then before. I found my hand was pulling the tab from the cork in a slow shaky circle. I had told myself I was going to wait! Why was I doing this with a quarter of the hour remaining? An ethereal voice filled my mind. "Just open the bottle, smell the nectar! You can still wait to drink it." I listened to the voices in my head quite against my will, and let loose the cork with a sound that only pale unknown things from the depths of the sea dare to utter. The bottle was beneath my nose and I was intoxicated.

So many scents, all at once, overwhelmed my senses. At first it smelled much like the araks and ouzos I had quaffed in past days, but after that passed there was so much more. My black cat "Medusa" lept upon the arm of the wingchair where I lay transfixed and jolted me out of my stupor. Upon one whiff of the dark stuff in the bottle my obsidian companion bolted from the room with a shrill hiss. I know now I should have listened to this most feline of portents, but, (bless my soul!) I did anything but.

I hastened to the kitchen and retrieved my now frigid flask of pure water. With my computo-box playing its recordings at full volume I poured a healthy measure of the viscous, murky liquor into the antique goblet. Its intriguing aroma filled the room as I let it breathe (though briefly!) in the glass. I cracked the seal of the water flask halfway and began to drip its life giving contents into my most affordable of goblets. Although my arms burned and grew weary as I held them awkwardly above my concoction, I could not stop, I could not look away from the amazing transformation that was taking place in front of my cloudy, mortal eyes.

With the first drops oily tendrils began to swirl about with a slow, magnanimous power. As the miniature cascade continued these translucent tentacles seemed to smolder! A green tinted smoke began to rise from the depths of the goblet in slow, lazy swirls. If a dagguerotype had been taken of my pale visage this night as I stared in awe it would surely serve as a lucrative draw at the penny peepshows for women and lesser men.

For hours it seemed I allowed that bottle to drip, the draw was now maddening! The eyes implored me to drink, drink, drink! The music rose to a crescendo! The clock began to strike the tenth hour! I could take it no longer! I clasped the glass in my clutch and raised it to my lips! O! Ecstasy! O! Ambrosia! Zeus himself clenched to his chest!

And so here I sit, gentleman and ladies, having consumed most of the elixir from my glass. Even now, the voices that were so mercifully tamed by this drink are growing in number once again. Once again the eyes, the terrible eyes, look in my direction, asking a wordless question that I cannot answer with my human vocal cords. I know another glass shall come after this, but than how many more? What have I done to myself, to this world? I warn you now brothers and sisters, as I prepare my next glass, never give in to forces you do not understand, listen only to your own mind and heart, and never, never give into that beautiful liquor that is Absinthe!

On the subject of Lucid has anyone seen much of an improvement by letting it age?

I have been told by someone much more knowledgeable than myself that age will be Lucid's friend.

I have a bottle waiting so I guess we'll see...

Aye, T, we will be. I don’t think the market will affect the collective forum ‘us’. What chaps me is that I shudder to think of absinthe becoming mainstream. Now don’t get me wrong- I think it would be great to stroll down the strip district or on the river walk and see patrons in cafes louching and enjoying. What angers me is that I am reminded every day that we live in today, and more than not I bet it will be the ‘hipsters’ who use the drink purely as novelty or a cool-guy tool.

It’s like Ford making an affordable Mustang and suddenly every guy on the block with the jing to buy one does, and is suddenly a gear head. I forget who said it but they said it best (in other posts) about Absinthe being better as a cult movement, or underground activity (poor choices of words on my part) Clandestine activities for those in the know- not because they saw it on TV. I need another cup of coffee and maybe I will make more sense! ;)

Wow, Poor. I enjoyed reading your "revelation", of sorts. Very detailed in a dreamy kinda trippy way. Glad you're enjoying it.

What chaps me is that I shudder to think of absinthe becoming mainstream.

I don't really think absinthe will become mainstream, definitely not anytime soon. I understand what you're saying -- it's like finding this band that's really great, and then all of a sudden, everyone is listening to them and you start to hate that band and never want to hear them again because everywhere you go, people are listening to them - but in reality, that doesn't make the band any worse. But, I guess there is some excitement and satisfaction that comes with having knowledge of something that most other people are ignorant to.

Anyway, the flavors in absinthe aren't really in the palate of the general public. "Ooh, it tastes like licorice, yuck!" Even though it doesn't. I think there is a long way to go before absinthe would ever become mainstream. Hopefully at some point we'll see absinthe bars dedicated to serving it properly and most "regular" bars won't bother carrying it. Hey maybe I'll try and open one. Anyone want to go in on it? ;)

Anyway, the flavors in absinthe aren't really in the palate of the general public. "Ooh, it tastes like licorice, yuck!" Even though it doesn't.

Prezactly. I would venture to say that it isn't even one of those "acquired taste" items like red wine or salmon. You either like the taste or don't. At least in this household that's how it works.

Love that post, Poor. Inspirational even. Except for

Prolly didn't need that visual today. ;)

Quite nifty :thumbup:

Here's to your next one and on to comparing, contrasting, and appreciating subtle and not-so-subtle differences, and...

I'll shut up now.

Belle Amie is a recipe from Heure Verte, who sometimes posts over at Fee Verte.

It's supposed to be a nimes style absinthe, and those HG Nimes recipes I've sampled have all been quite lovely. They tend to be very floral (wormwoody) on balance, but with enough roundness from other herbs to make them heartily satisfying. They do have a pleasant residual bitterness, but are not quite so wormwood forward as those done in the Besançon style.

Absomphe, I must say, I'm impressed.

well done Poor!

last night around the same time.. I too succumbed to the pull of those green eyes... not really needing to open the bottle as I have a K53 that was already open.. but still I did.

my cats run from it too, but thats ok.. I dont want their hair in my glass!

:cheers:

God damn it....that's what I get for not checking in for a month....I live only 2 hours from chi town and would've bought two bottles. I don't even really like it that much, but it beats pure swill.....GRRR. You lucky dogs.

I do apologize for the titanic, rambling post. I have been holding back my writing for a while and that glass of Lucid was the pin in the proverbial hand grenade. Cheers to all. Now I await the Call of Kübler.

I do apologize for the titanic, rambling post. I have been holding back my writing for a while and that glass of Lucid was the pin in the proverbial hand grenade. Cheers to all. Now I await the Call of Kübler.

Don't apologize! It was a great post!

"I want more"

~Erik