Poor

Lucid Hits Chicago

Mother F*&%@R! I just went to the site to sign up so I didn't have to do that tomorrow while placing the order, and well, go figure my money goes through AT MIDNIGHT...

SOL this time... O_o

Glad I ordered when I did, but I got an email from them today saying that Lucid is backordered and they would notify me when they ship. Didn't say anything about the price, though, so I'm hoping that the price I ordered at is the price I'll pay. Assuming it ever gets here, that is.

I called them to see if they shipped to Canada, but of course not. That's OK - I'm headed to Seattle soon to get a shipment from DUNY of Lucid and Kübler. I arranged to have some bottles set aside at Verte d'Absinthe in Paris for pick-up over Christmas. I'm getting Marteau of course, Doubs Mystique (out of curiosity) and Belle Amie. Does anyone know anything about the latter two? I heard some decent things about Mystique...

Belle Amie is a recipe from Heure Verte, who sometimes posts over at Fee Verte.

It's supposed to be a nimes style absinthe, and those HG Nimes recipes I've sampled have all been quite lovely. They tend to be very floral (wormwoody) on balance, but with enough roundness from other herbs to make them heartily satisfying. They do have a pleasant residual bitterness, but are not quite so wormwood forward as those done in the Besançon style.

Just spotted Lucid in a Binny's in the far North side on the way home from work. It is 45.99. I had $35 in my wallet. Tomorrow I return with money. $45.99 is still a super deal compared to $60 from drinkupny.

Tomorrow shall be a day that will live in infamy.

Yeah, but think about the purchase and the 46 bucks plus tax you're out of here though..

Kind of a hefty price for near mediocrity, imho.

Twenty something? Absolutely! Close to 50? Ummm, well..

Belle Amie is a recipe from Heure Verte, who sometimes posts over at Fee Verte.

It's supposed to be a nimes style absinthe, and those HG Nimes recipes I've sampled have all been quite lovely. They tend to be very floral (wormwoody) on balance, but with enough roundness from other herbs to make them heartily satisfying. They do have a pleasant residual bitterness, but are not quite so wormwood forward as those done in the Besançon style.

Thank you for your thoughts and remarks, Ab- I look forward to getting the Belle Amie back home without mishap.

I placed my order for two bottles last Friday evening. The customer service lady phoned me today to let me know Binny's can't ship to Oklahoma. She said the closest she could get to me was Texas or Missouri.

I cancelled the order. Hmmph!

My bottom was a gorgeous crimson this afternoon. Aw, what the hell, it saved me from struggling with buyers remorse. ;)

Well, the first thing that I thought of was his butt! OMG, please explain.

Yeah, but think about the purchase and the 46 bucks plus tax you're out of here though..

Kind of a hefty price for near mediocrity, imho.

Twenty something? Absolutely! Close to 50? Ummm, well..

Near mediocrity??

:thumbdown:

I can't wait until my bottles arrive, that's for sure. Me and all my near mediocrity, that is.

Don't be offended, Speedle. Wasn't my intention so apologize if it came out that way. Just not one of my preferred "brands", that's all. No harm no foul.

Nobody needs to apologise for their personal tastes. You don't see me getting bent out of shape when speedle disses the Matter products, most of which I like.

I disagree with the near-mediocrity. It's not Jade but it is real absinthe made with real Wormwood. Ask Alexander Dunn, MonkeyCurious, Stomp or any other of our good friends to the North if they'd exchange their Pernod for Lucid. It's not the best absinthe but it's not:

1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.

2. rather poor or inferior.

(Kudos to Dictionary.com)

Lucid is Good. Not great but good. I'd compare it to barely half a step under Duplais Balance and better than Un Emile. Then consider the price plus shipping and Lucid is not only good, it's a good deal.

I know familiarity breeds contempt but 'Merica could have done far, far worse than Lucid. :cheers:

M'kay. No problem. We can agree to disagree, yes? My taste buds and brain tell me otherwise, that's all. Maybe that'll change down the line but today, this is my assessment.

We didn't order anything. But I did talk to the moron at the state liquor store who explained (at length) that Absinthe is illegal.

It was a miserable discussion that raised my blood pressure and gave him an education that didn't take. Jeez! The fishing regulations are pissing me off too.

I don't get pissed off, dammit.

Sorry to hear of that, SonnyBlues. If he has an email address, I suggest you send him a link or two in order for him to see the green light.

M'kay. No problem. We can agree to disagree, yes? My taste buds and brain tell me otherwise, that's all. Maybe that'll change down the line but today, this is my assessment.

Of course we can agree to disagree! Taste is a very personal thing and to each his own. I'm just saying, it's not a mediocre absinthe whether you enjoy the taste or not. Personally, I can't stand the Monte but I know it's a matter of taste and not that it's a crappy absinthe. I'm not suggesting you're wrong for not liking Lucid but rather that it's a good absinthe you don't care for. That's all. :wave2:

Likewise, Sir, likewise.

I don't want to get into employment by the state but I can tell you, as you already know, it is a completely different way of thinking. Very black and white.

it's not a mediocre absinthe whether you enjoy the taste or not. Personally, I can't stand the Monte but I know it's a matter of taste and not that it's a crappy absinthe. I'm not suggesting you're wrong for not liking Lucid but rather that it's a good absinthe you don't care for. That's all. :wave2:

LOLOL!

I nevah said I didn't "like it", right? I just said, indirectly, that there are more desirable varieties than there are not. So, the argument here is really, as you suggest, whether the absinthe is "well made" vs. how "well" it tastes?

I think the world of you, T, but I definitely disagree with you on this. I always feel bad to share my thoughts on it here because you were kind enough to send me the sample, which I wanted to like in order to justify your trouble and expense. But it's no good.

See, I think an absinthe can be downright awful even if it's produced traditionally. I think Lucid is worse than mediocre because it's got distracting flavours that aren't traditionally lent by any of the constituent herbs, like caramel, body odour, and plastic. Other than the wormwood, the herbs themselves aren't of good quality and aren't tasty. I'm very capable of seeing an absinthe as being of good quality if its flavour just doesn't appeal to me as long as its herbs are of good quality and the distillation doesn't taste botched. Lucid, however, tastes like some things went very, very wrong during its production. Don't know if they did, but it really doesn't matter if it tastes like it.

Moulin Vert claims to be distilled and naturally coloured. It's ghastly and I don't think many here would disagree with someone saying it's of terrible quality. Lucid's better than Moulin Vert but still pretty dismal.

You're welcome to disagree with me and believe me, sending the sample was a pleasure I'll happily do again.

I'm not suggesting you are of this particular ilk (and I don't believe you are) but I believe that many of Lucid's detractors dislike it because:

1. It's a CO.

2. Ted Breaux had a hand in it.

3. Someone made it other than "them."

I don't doubt you don't like if for the reasons you mentioned but really, each of those reasons boil down to personal taste. I don't believe anything went wrong in the production process and I don't taste anything to suggest the quality of herbs were poor or the technique was not quite correct. I've made it through 2 bottles of Lucid. It's not spectacular but it's not wrong. I'll stand by this. :cheers:

Hey, at least you saved me some money, as I was definitely going to order a bottle. :cheers:

Personally I enjoy most of the Jades and respect the one I don't like (though I refuse to pay what any of them cost, with the exception of Perique), don't have a problem with Ted, and was very optimistic about Lucid before I tried it. I'm sure you know all this, but I'm putting it out there for anyone else who may think I'm just Ted-hating or Jade-hating.

I haven't tried the Lucid, so I can't weigh in on its specific taste, but I will comment on the general disagreement. The problem for me is that I consider both sides of this discussion to be well backed with the authority of absintheurs of taste and integrity. Without tasting the product myself it is impossible for me to accurately judge on whose side my own taste is going to fall on this one. Often one can, from previous opinions, guess whose side one's taste is more likely to be in agreement with, but often times not. And in cases of doubt, such as this, I have to err on the side of my wallet. Which might mean something different if I lived in Amurika, and Lucid actually came in cheaper, with all expenses taken into consideration, than many generally liked brands. But in any case, I need to err on the side of caution. Spend my money where I feel most comfortable I won't be sorely disappointed. I'm generally going to take a pass on anything that creates this much disagreement between educated taste buds. So ultimately, a well-informed, well-educated dissenter wins on this one by virtue of the relative lack of depth in my wallet. Someday, I'll try it, and others, but never if it means I can't afford something I trust I'll like.

I haven’t sampled Lucid before either. I am interested to though, and to see how Lucid plays out on the domestic market in light of its recent appearance on Colbert and in magazines, etc. Was the price-jump an honest mistake or is the bandwagon coming around the corner in Chicago? I’m no economist but I am interested to see how Lucid and other domestics pan out.

Of course, being from Penn’s Woods, the P-LCB is slow in everything so I wonder when it will hit shelves in the Steel city.

It was an honest mistake. The list price for Lucid is $50-60.

What remains to be seen is what happens after Lucid and Kübler fill the store shelves, and all the forum folk who want a bottle (or three) have them. Will they sit there gathering dust?