Poor

Lucid Hits Chicago

Its happened. Around halloween there was a promo costume party sponsored by Lucid at Lux bar in Chicago with free samples. Unfortunately it cost $25 to get in and all the drinks at that bar start around ten dollars, so I gave it a pass.

Fast forward to this week. For shits and giggles I checked out the Binnys website and searched for Absinthe. Binnys is a large chain of liquor stores in the Chicagoland area with a mail order website. Lucid is listed on the page! On top of that, for whatever reason, a 750ml bottle of Lucid is listed at 23.99! I will stop at the couple that I pass on the way home from work and see if they have them stocked at the same price in the store.

In the mean time, I suggest any of you bargain hunters out there take advantage of this error deal.

www.binnys.com

Gee, with the exchange rate the way it is, that's almost free if you normally deal in a currency of some value. I wonder if they ship overseas.

Help, someone?

The "we can't ship to certain states" disclaimer didn't include CA, but I have this paranoid feeling in the back of my head that leaves me believing that CA doesn't allow spirits to be shipped...or is it just wine, or am I completely off the mark?

Anybody have a definitive answer/reference? I want to get in on the deal, but don't want to toss away $30 if I can help it.

California allows spirits, wine, and beer to be shipped without issue, as long as the producer or store has its ducks in a row.

I've ordered from Binny's a bunch of times in the past, they're great!

One of the better selections of American Whiskey in the country.

~Erik

I figure I can at least give myself the opportunity to try it before I hate it. Considering the going price of a serving in a bar is ~$15-$18 a serving, that's a whole bottle for two servings...worse things could happen.

Still I'm eager to try.

Then again, I also have some unexplainably masochistic desire to try chitlins at least once, too.

Seriously, go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You waste $30?

I've taken much pricier chances on booze.

If you like it, then great. You'll be happier than me by having a cheap source of absinthe that you dig.

On the way home yesterday I stopped at three different Binnys looking for Lucid. I didn't see it by the cordials or the pastis or the absente or the ouzos and araks. I asked managers at each store and they hadn't heard of it. It will probably be rolled out into all the stores shortly, I wish I could get on a mailing list or something. I did however see that questionable Green Moon wormwood flavored vodka. It was 27.99 for a gift set that had a full sized bottle as well as a nice looking glass and a mediocre spoon. I may take one for the team and get that gist set, as I liked the glass and could use another spoon. This can wait till I finally try Lucid.

Cheers to everyones purchases! Perhaps the sudden flux of orders will prod them into stocking a bit more quickly.

Too bad I can't get it shipped to NC. I could, however, send some bottles to my dad there in Chicago or have him pick up the order for safekeeping. Undecided.

Poor, you could always have them forward to a store near you if you've not found it yet:

"You may select store pick-up if you prefer. We will forward your order to the store you select. The store will call you with product availability, additional taxes and local delivery options which vary based on location. Please allow at least 24 hours to process your order."

I did however see that questionable Green Moon wormwood flavored vodka. It was 27.99 for a gift set that had a full sized bottle as well as a nice looking glass and a mediocre spoon.

I found a pic of the Green Moon gift set here.

So what, are you supposed to louche it?

But staying back on track, I wonder if the Lucid pricing is just an error, or if it's fixed at 23.99. ::sigh:: guess I better order soon...

Its 45% alcohol, so I believe that it is strong enough to keep the loads of anise that it claims to contain in solution, it should probably louche like ouzo or arak. One of the experts here should probably know better.

The stuff looks like apple pucker in person. It appears that it was made with southern wormwood, so no t-bones to trippballz with.

I will pick up a prepay credit card and place a pickup order for the Lucid. I feel like singing. No, its not in my idiom.

Nice find!

My order is placed.. I sure hope that the price stayes fixed.. Oregon has a tax kicker that is slated to arrive in a few weeks, this would be perfect timing to buy a case!

:thumbup:

Poor, do you have a paypal card? Thats how I do all my online purchases.

It's not nearly as good as its advertising.

It's not nearly as bad as its detractors.

My main complaint was that the alchohol taste seemed to come through rather strongly. Now i am thinking it would make a helluva gift.....my friends will think i spent a fortune on them B)

At that price its a better choice than T-bird if you just wanna get sloshed & get your freak on.

FREAKS IN THE HOUSE SAY YO :devil:

Their warning says they won't ship to Washington state, but I've never had a problem receiving a package from them

After making that boast on Friday, I received an e-mail from Binny's today:

Thank you for your order. We are sorry to inform to you that we can not ship to the state of Washington. The state does not permit us to ship as of two months ago.

Crap! It appears the load of Rittenhouse rye I ordered in early September was one of the last Washington-bound shipments they sent.

Well, for a little over twice the price, there's always drinkupny........ :3869-sadbanana:

My news isn't quite as bad:

Thank you for your order. We are informing you that we have to order the Lucid from the company. We have had a huge request for these over the last couple of weeks. These should be in about four to five business days. Once it arrives we will ship the items. We are sorry for the inconvenience and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

I got that email this morning, too.

Five bidness days, eh? Hopefully.

At least I didn't get a "sorry, we can't ship to your state" mail. Bummer for all in WA and NC :thumbdown:

On a similar note, would it be worth the trouble and added delay and cost for somebody in an available state to order and just forward along (as a gift) plus added shipping? Think that might fly?