dakini_painter

Jerry Thomas

From Oct 31, 2007 NY Times.

I'll spill the beans on the recipe for a Silver Fizz.

Recipe: Silver Fizz

Published: October 31, 2007

Adapted from David Wondrich

Time: 5 minutes

Fizzes, particularly the Silver Fizz, with the added nutritional boost of an egg white, often served as breakfast for the 19th-century drinking man.

1/2 tablespoon superfine sugar

1/2 ounce lemon juice

2 ounces gin, preferably Plymouth

1 egg white

2 ounces seltzer.

Dump two or three handfuls of cracked or shaved ice into a cocktail shaker and add everything but the seltzer. Shake energetically for a minute or more, then strain into a 6- to 8-ounce highball glass. Add seltzer and stir gently.

Yield: One drink.

That's an interesting recipe, particularly with the egg white thing going on. Is that for texture?

The egg white is for foam as well as texture. The Ramos Gin Fizz (best milkshake ever) uses it as well. If you squick at the idea of raw egg, there are powdered, reconstitutable versions available.

Ah, gotcha! Thanks, Hiram.

Peridot, you go boy! I'm gonna have to head out later to get the accoutrements and try myself!

The Ramos Gin Fizz (best milkshake ever) uses it as well.

I like Ramos Gin Fizz but next time I make it I'm going to cut down on the lemon juice. The recipes I've used make it too sour and, to my tastes at least, it really hurts the drink.

Who the hell is Jerry Thomas?

Viva Lloyd, the best goddamn bartender from Timbuktu to Portland, Oregon!

post-582-1194362015.jpg

You never overlook a chance for a good photo enhanced quip, do you? :thumbup:

A similar drink from the era (and from Wondrich's new book on Jerry Thomas) that might have some interest in these parts is the Morning Glory Fizz (as the name indicates, this is a morning drink meant to clear the cobwebs from the night before).

2 teaspoons sugar (to taste)

1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice

1/4 ounces fresh lime juice

4 dashes absinthe

1 egg white

2 ounces blended Scotch (I've found Famous Grouse works well here)

Shake long and hard with plenty of ice, strain into a fizz or small highball glass; top with an ounce or two of club soda.

"The above drink must be drank as soon as prepared, so as not to lose the effect of it. The author respectfully recommends the above drink as an excellent one for a morning beverage, which will give a good appetite and quiet the nerves." -- Harry Johnson, New and Improved Bartender's Manual, 1882.

I've found this surprisingly light and refreshing. Beats the hell out of a Mimosa any day.

I read a review of "Imbibe!" and was fascinated. Would you post your review of the book in the Literature forum?

"At the Occidental, Thomas was earning $100 a week, more than the vice president of the United States"

Now i want to try a Blue Blazer!

The egg white is for foam as well as texture. The Ramos Gin Fizz (best milkshake ever) uses it as well. If you squick at the idea of raw egg, there are powdered, reconstitutable versions available.

I'll concur here. Hiram (and more then a few others at Tales) got me hooked on these. Everything you love about a milkshake, and everything you love about being an adult.

I look forward to trying this concoction!

...If you squick at the idea of raw egg, there are powdered, reconstitutable versions available.

In my book there is no true substitute for straight-from-the-egg fresh eggwhites. If necessary, and only if necessary, I'll use the still-liquid bottled pasturized eggwhites, but there is a noticeable difference. I've frankly never tried powdered egg whites, and I'm not anxious to either :->

I assume that the raw egg issue for most folks is the hidden danger of salmonella?

Reports I read say it is about a 1 in 20,000 risk of getting a salmonella spiked egg.

Also, both alcohol and citric acid are enemies of salmonella, and so I could jump to the conclusion that they will further mitigate any dangers... although I have yet to see a scientific study that proves it. The closest I've seen is that there was apparently a case of ship-board salmonella poisoning on a cruise ship or something, and everybody got sick, except those that were drinking :->

-Robert

Powdered egg whites work at least as well as fresh eggs at creating foam.

The ones I've tried do not taste as good as fresh eggs nor do they quite give the same body to the liquid of a cocktail.

I keep them around for those weeks when my eggs are getting a little long from date of purchase or when I don't make it to the farmers' market for fresh eggs. Definitely not my first choice.

~Erik

I've frankly never tried powdered egg whites, and I'm not anxious to either :->
I can't say I recommend them. Just getting them mixed up without any lumps is a pain. You can't stir too much or shake them or you wind up with meringue.