zobop

Worked My Way Up Through 6 Varieties

Well, I have been refraining from starting as many threads as I had starting out posting here.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Hiram. I apologize for my enthusiasm and not doing

searches in the archives first.

I have worked my way up my list 6 times, only varying a little from the original list.

I am not experienced enough to give you thorough, professional reviews...so I will

merely tell you how I ranked the varieties in my humble opinion.

This list started out in the order that I tried each variety, then I changed it to show the

rankings from the lowest to the highest (so far). I am being very conservative and using

a grading system of 1-10. I am still in the 1st tier level of 3 levels in my 34 varieties to test.

I will probably need to adjust the numbers once I have worked my way through all of the varieties.

I did not include the Czech stuff, eliminating Trul 1792 and Strong68. I didn't see any point in confusing things.

I have been louching sometimes 2:1, but usually 3:1 and sometimes 4:1 water ratio.

I did purchase the ceramic mouthwash dispenser from Lowe's. Works great, except for excessive condensation.

The main obstacle was trying to find a suitable stand to set this dispenser on. You can't fit the absinthe glass

underneath the spout without a stand. I ended up buying a 6 inch white PVC section with a plug in one end.

Works great.

My glass drippers arrived from La Maison. Nice. I like them alot, but the stream is a little fast.

I also started using a 1:1 sugar/water ratio simple syrup instead of a spoon and sugar cube. NICE!!

Here it goes so far:

* 1.00 - La Bonne Mère = Boring, only tastes like weak ouzo

* 1.25 - La Muse Verte = Pretty much like Bonne Mere, just a little more flavor

* 1.50 - Abisinthe 72 Amer = Surprising, my first "slight" green fairy experience

* 1.75 - Un Emile 68 = weak louche, decent flavor, kind of thin, disappointing.

** 2.00 - Un Emile 68 La Blanche = Good!! nice louche, good fairy experience

** 2.25 - Versinthe La Blanche Limited = even better louche, spicy peppery flavor, a step up

Can't wait to move forward. I usually only try 1 variety per day, but I tried 2 today.

The Un Emile Blanche was much more impressive than the verte IMHO.

Next:

White Fairy

Partisane Vintage 2004

Moulin Vert

Angélique 72 Verte/Elixir des Anges

Angélique Verte Suisse

Suisse Verte Clandestine

François Guy

Kübler 45

Jean Jaquet

L'Interdite

La Valote "Francis Martin"

La Valote "Willy Bovet"

Capricieuse 72

Clandestine 53

Elixir du Pays de Fees

FrancoSuisse

Blanche de Fougerolles

Blanche de L'Heure Verte

Blanchette

Brevans H.R. Giger

Duplais Blanche

Duplais Verte

Eichelberger

Jade Edouard

Jade Verte Suisse

Jade Nouvelle Orleans

Montmartre

Verte de Fougerolles

:cheers:

Angélique Verte Suisse

Suisse Verte Clandestine

Unless I'm quite mistaken I believe all three of those are the same thing.

Could be, I hope not though. Obviously, they all have different labels and descriptions on other vendors sites.

The desription for the "Angélique 72 Verte/Elixir des Anges" was something like that it was a special vintage or

run that was "limited" or "special", different from the regular "Angélique Verte Suisse". Maybe the alcohol content

is higher than normal or maybe it was a special run made like many other distillers have done?

If not, looks like I have 3 times that much of that brand. Sure hope I like it!! :)

Well I know the normal Angélique is the same as the Suisse Verte Clandestine, both of which are at 72% ABV. Alandia repackages the Clandestines with different labels and sometimes different names. The FrancoSuisse at Alandia is the Clandestine recette Marianne with a different name and label.

I don't know about the Elixir des Anges. I haven't seen it anywhere.

I hope you like it too if you have that much. Here's some thoughts on it. Almost everyone has a strong view on it, whether excellent or disgusting.

I apologize for my enthusiasm and not doing searches in the archives first.

There's no reason to apologize for enthusiasm. Everyone is enthusiastic here. After you've been around a bit, you tend to post less. If only because the thought/sentiment has been posted a billion times already.

The archives are very wonderful. Highly encouraged.

I am not experienced enough to give you thorough, professional reviews...

Unless you don't have any taste buds at all, yes, you are experienced enough. Especially of the Trul 1792 and Strong 68. There's nothing wrong with admitting falling for the thujone hype.

Almost no one here is a professional. Our reviews are simply our views about what we drank. We might have more experience, but that's all relative.

Enthusiasm good, but bad on wallet.

Frankly I would rearange that list to include Jade PF1901, Jade Ed, Duplais verte, blanchette, montemartre, Clan and possibly BdF at the top of the list.

(and that's not including the new selections that I've been overall out of the loop on).

I've been drinking absinthe regularly for a few years now, but I still barely know what to say 'bout the stuff other than "Mmmm. Awesome." Or, you know, the opposite.

That's the beautiful thing about Hirams review system. You don't really need to have a knack for describing the absinthe. If you mouse over those little blue circles with question marks in them, it will tell you everything you need to know to rank each of the qualities.

What you write in the rest of the review can be as eloquent or as bland as you like. Some of my reviews, like that of Staro and KoSG are pretty mundane. Others 'inspired' me a bit more. ;)

Frankly I would rearange that list to include Jade PF1901...

What is the deal with Jade of late? Perhaps I should have done more research myself there may be a thread on it; I just wonder why certain volumes are out of stock or on backorder?

Zobop I laude you for your efforts though. Honestly, my thoughts on Absinthe and coming to this forum are the only thing that I have enthusiasm for anymore.

Unless I'm quite mistaken I believe all three of those are the same thing.

Exactly what I said to him here

Frankly I would rearange that list to include Jade PF1901, Jade Ed, Duplais verte, blanchette, montemartre, Clan and possibly BdF at the top of the list.

That list I made up for him here has no particular order within sections 1 2 & 3, it was just a "educate your palate" list. He doesn't have the PF1901 yet, but it is on his "to get" list.

Look down to the #3 tier in my list. All of those are listed there except for the 1901. I didn't order Jade PF 1901 because they were out of stock.

If I were you I'd just skip right to tier 3. I don't see the need to start out with mid range stuff, I really don't think it helps you "develop" or whatever the goal is. Of course a couple things in the 1'st 2 tiers I consider better than middle shelf, but in general...

I think some good starters are the Edouard, PF 1901, Eichelberger, & Duplais. They have a traditional taste and seem to be generally agreeable amongst the masses (there are always exceptions of course). The Clandestine 53 is a good starter La Bleue.

My first absinthes were La Fee Parisian, François Guy, VDF, BDF, & Un Emile. This was before absinthe really became popular (again) and there wasn't the abundance of commercial offerings there are today. If I were starting today I'd skip the La Feet & Emile altogether, but I still like me some Franky Guy & Fougerolles now and then.

It might be a good idea to wait to try things like Nouvelle Orleans & Montmarte until you've gotten a basic introduction to absinthe. They are unique in their own ways, and more hit or miss depending on personal taste. I personally love the N-O. The Montmarte is something I have to be in the mood for. A good Christmas absinthe I think.

Anyways, happy hunting.

Thanks,

I already purchased all the varieties in my list, so I am gradually working my way up

to the best selections. I am starting to experience better quality as I progress upward.

The Trul 1792 and Strong68 were big mistakes and a waste of money. I don't

even have them on the list anymore. I am trying to forget those completely.

Out of the 6 varieties I have already tried in the list, I would be happy to drink 3

of them again in the future. The other 3 were not terrible, just not impressive at all.

7 more to go in level #1 in the list.

It has been very tempting to just rip open a bottle of Jade or Duplais right away,

but I am pacing myself and enjoying each selection more and more as I go through

the list. It is alot more fun now that the worst selections are out of the way.

Well it sounds like you're a man with a plan, I can appreciate that. I just usually tell people starting out to go right to the good stuff because the crap and middle shelf stuff is just as expensive, if not more. Also starting off with brands that aren't particularly good might give one a bad impression and convince them that they don't like absinthe. I'm not a believer that your palate develops better by starting out with inferior brands then working your way up (not that everything on your first two lists are inferior). Regarding Czechsinth particularly, the only thing it could serve to do is burn your taste buds away and ruin your palate forever.

And then there's the main reason... money. Most people I know, including myself, don't have the fundage to go out and buy every single comm. absinthe known to man and systematically taste them one after another. If you do, then more power to you and go right ahead with your plan by all means.

I would also recommend you try some other, well, more normal La Bleue's before trying the Blanchette. "Traditional" was probably a bad word to use in my last post, these absinthes are all traditional in a sense. The Blanchette has a nice wormwood kick to it. If you like this sort of thing (like I do), I think you'll appreciate it more if it's not the first La Bleue you've ever tried.

Edited by Tally Ho

Well, I appreciate all the input from everyone.

Since I have already made my purchases, it doesn't really help me to say I should start sampling at the top shelf category.

I am having a great time sampling and learning from the bottom on up, except for the Czech stuff.

I have added 4 more selections to my tasting, and here is the list of how they fare according to my amateur taste.

This is just the #1 level of my list. The results are fun and quite surprising. I am now working my way into the Suisse Verte's.

I really appreciate everybody's help and recommendations on my tasting.

It really doesn't help at all though if you tell me I shouldn't even bother testing 2/3 of the choices I have already purchased.

What do you expect me to do? Throw the lesser quality stuff away? Of course I will take the time to taste everything I bought

and saveur them gradually as I work my way up to the premium stuff.

If I just skipped everything and went straight to the premium stuff, I would be stuck with ALOT of bottles of absinthe and

feel like I wasted my money. The way I am doing this now seems perfect to me. Of course, I feel like I wasted my money

on the Czech selections and the La Bonne Mère, La Muse Verte, and Un Emile 68. Everything after that has been alot of fun

and I have no regrets at all.

La Bonne Mère * 0.25

La Muse Verte * 0.50

Un Emile 68 * 0.75

Un Emile 68 La Blanche * 1.00

Abisinthe 72 Amer * 1.25

Partisane Vintage 2004 * 1.50

White Fairy ** 1.75

Angélique Verte Suisse ** 2.00

Moulin Vert ** 2.25

Versinthe La Blanche Limited ** 2.50

Suisse Verte Clandestine

François Guy

Kübler 45

Jean Jaquet

L'Interdite

La Valote "Francis Martin"

La Valote "Willy Bovet"

Capricieuse 72

Clandestine 53

Elixir du Pays de Fees

FrancoSuisse

Blanche de Fougerolles

Blanche de L'Heure Verte

Blanchette

Brevans H.R. Giger

Duplais Blanche

Duplais Verte

Eichelberger

Jade Edouard

Jade Verte Suisse

Jade Nouvelle Orleans

Montmartre

Verte de Fougerolles

I don't recall suggesting that you throw anything away. You've already bought them, drink them of course. I'm just saying that I believe the notion of starting out in the lower ranges as a means toward developing your palate is flawed logic. That's just my opinion, and I'm as entitled to it as you are your own.

I also don't get how buying a bunch of good stuff would be a "waste" of money? I certainly wouldn't mind being "stuck" with a bunch of high quality mersh. Still can't see how that's a con, seems like a pro to me. Unless of course you believe that you wouldn't appreciate it until you've subjected yourself to other inferior brands first. Perhaps this is where we are at an impasse?

And since you welcome advice... you may want to not start so many new threads.

I'm just saying that I believe the notion of starting out in the lower ranges as a means toward developing your palate is flawed logic. That's just my opinion, and I'm as entitled to it as you are your own.

In general I agree with you on this because it's more cost-effective to just go for the good stuff. But in this circumstance I agree with zobop. He bought them all at once before even making his first post here, so since he already spent the money, might as well work up from the bottom. If you've only tasted the crappier brands you'll appreciate the middle ones more. Might as well get his money's worth of enjoyment as best he can, and let each and every absinthe be another exciting adventure on the way up. It's most definitely how I'd approach it if I were in his position.

I also don't get how buying a bunch of good stuff would be a "waste" of money? I certainly wouldn't mind being "stuck" with a bunch of high quality mersh. Still can't see how that's a con, seems like a pro to me.

I don't think you're getting that he bought all this stuff at once before making his first post. If he skipped straight to tasting the best brands he'd probably be spoiled and find a lot of the others disappointing. That would be the waste of money. To be saddled with shit he would not find enjoyable. Some brands I really liked when I started drinking absinthe are undrinkable to me now. It sure would suck if I made that leap in taste development before I had ever opened them.

And since you welcome advice... you may want to not start so many new threads.

Don't be petty.

I wasn't being petty at all, just giving sound advice. I notice that somebody else brought this to his attention too, and they weren't accused of being petty.

I do get that he bought all this stuff before making his first post in here. I was simply pointing out that I (personally) do not believe starting from the bottom up has any advantage. I did NOT say "throw the stuff away", "you wasted your money", or anything of the sort. I believe my comments were miscontrued.

I believe what we have here is a "fail-ya to communicate"

I also don't get how buying a bunch of good stuff would be a "waste" of money? I certainly wouldn't mind being "stuck" with a bunch of high quality mersh.

I think this is where the failure to communicate is most obvious. He never said what you thought he said here. What he said was:

If I just skipped everything and went straight to the premium stuff, I would be stuck with ALOT of bottles of absinthe and feel like I wasted my money.

Meaning, obviously, skipping straight to tasting the premium stuff in his possession, not magically undoing his purchase of a very wide range and then redoing a purchase that was only premium stuff. Like I said, one can be spoiled by the great stuff and then find little enjoyment in the lesser brands. It would be sad to fail to enjoy them at all after spending that much money on them.

It really doesn't help at all though if you tell me I shouldn't even bother testing 2/3 of the choices I have already purchased.

What do you expect me to do? Throw the lesser quality stuff away?

I believe the failure to communicate is just as obvious right here, because I never suggested anything of the sort.

Edited by Tally Ho

Sorry for being so late chasing this thread. Of the 11 bottles I've tried in the past month, there's only 1 I'd sell on eBay. Hell, I'm close to giving it away. Got 3 more coming from VdA, and 3 more I want from LdF. Still haven't gotten around to trying the Lucid, but discovered tonight I like the Brevans more than the Mystique. Oh well, might as well try the Lucid now.